Main Forums > The Roundtable

Anyone have much experience shipping stuff to the UK?

(1/2) > >>

Iain:
I'm looking at a weird and cool guitar. UK prices are crazy, US prices are crazy too, but in a much better way. Think that it isn't being imported into the UK in any numbers which is probably partly why the dollar price is less than the pound price.

It'd work out much cheaper to import it I reckon, I'd need to figure out what potential customs charges I could get hit with, but it seems they are often, how to say, avoidable.

It's not something that should suffer too badly if shipped, it's intended to be a travel guitar anyway. http://www.music123.com/Aria-AS100C-Sinsonido-Nylon-String-Cutaway-i103234.music - the frames come off and it all packs away into a bag the size of the central wooden section, coming in at around 4lbs.

Thinking that this might be my birthday present to myself in February and I'm trying to figure the practicalities of getting one from over there, over here.

Guest:
nothing terribly difficult.  I've shipped a few paintball guns into the UK without incedent.  just toss it in a box and drop off at a UPS location.  unless expedited, be prepared to wait a month for it.  no customs that i am aware of .

Azrael256:
First thing I would do is walk on down to whatever carrier ships stuff to you, and just ask.  You could find whatever ministry handles it, but the shipper is more likely to have the information handy.  I only shipped one thing to the UK, but DHL was able to tell me exactly what form I needed to attach.

Preacherman:
First bareback guitar I've ever seen!

P95Carry:
Iain - I have sent a few things - one main thing I might suggest.  If you get someone to do the purchase and shipping etc - make sure they label the customs thing ''gift''.

Seems if other than that then customs can make things awkward, expensive or both.  Maybe that approach would avoid the dreaded VAT.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version