Author Topic: Jeep Wranglers  (Read 2485 times)

RaggedClaws

• friend
Jeep Wranglers
« on: November 11, 2005, 04:53:25 AM »
Hello all!  I'm thinking about getting a used Jeep Wrangler (post 1997 TJ).  I've always wanted one as long as I can remember, and given how stranded we were during the blizzards last year, having a true 4WD vehicle for emergencies (and for the eventual country acreage I am saving up for) is more and more appealing.

My wife and I currently share a car (FWD VW Passat Wagon), and every day she drops me off and picks me up from the train (with our new baby in tow).  I'd prefer to be able to drive myself to the train, through any kind of weather (in the near future, I will always live within 5 miles of a train station, currently closer than that).  Other than that, I would use the Jeep very occasionally.  

So...  For those Jeep folks out there, what is your opinion about the 2.5L 4cyl versus the 4.0L 6cyl engines?  Is the gas mileage/horsepower trade-off worth it?  Would I be able to tow a small fishing boat with the smaller engine?  A small camper?  I would like to get into off-roading at some point, is either engine more suited for that?  Hard top versus soft top?

Any and all advice concerning Jeep Wranglers would be greatly appreciated!

(By the way, yes, I've ridden in Jeeps many times in the past, and I love them and their utilitarian nature)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 05:02:33 AM »
Okay, even in 4x4 a jeep can be a hog on ice in the winter time because of the short wheel base, drive at a reasonable speed.

The 2.5L should be able to pull a small fishing boat no problem, not sure about the camper, depends upon weight.

I personally would use the 4.0 if I was pulling anything, just nice to have the extra hp when pulling a load. With that being said a Jeep makes a crappy tow vehicle in my opinion, I used to pull my 14' boat back and forth to the lake with Jeep a few years ago. Rather have something with a longer wheel base for towing.

Jeep is a great off road vehicle, but you don't have a lot of cargo space. Sounds more like a small 4x4 pickup truck would work better for you. Like a S-10 or a Ford Ranger.

oh yeah.. hard top, soft tops are cold in the winter time and are not truely weather proof. I used to get dripped on driving at interstate speeds during a thunderstorm.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 05:09:10 AM »
Start thinking Cherokee.  Other than looks, it beats the Wrangler, hands down.  Longer wheelbase makes it more suitable for towing, many offroad conditions, and handling on snow and ice.  Much more family friendly, given the larger cargo capacity.  Get the 4.0l
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RaggedClaws

• friend
Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 05:19:29 AM »
Good points all.  Just for the record, I am very careful driver, especially on snow and ice (I have a lot experience driving in snowy/icy conditions).  

I don't have a present need to tow anything, I was just looking towards the future.  I could always tow with my Passat, or whatever I replace that with in the future.  In the next couple years, the only thing I would realistically consider getting would be a canoe, and the Passat can handle that no problem.  

This is really just a beater commuter car for a very small commute to the train station over hilly, windy roads with the possibility of snow and ice.

The only problem with a Cherokee is that it doesn't have the Wrangler's good looks (as you noted)!  Wink  I've always wanted a Jeep CJ/Wrangler, I don't know why, I just love them.

Jamisjockey

• friend
Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 05:22:20 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 10:27:15 AM »
The CJ will always be the king. Smiley

I grew up with Jeeps and my dad still has a lot. I learned to drive on a Willy jeep, the CJ2. Dad always drove a CJ7 that has been amazing. It would go almost as many places as the Willys would. Neither has ever failed to carry it's passengers home. Once, the shifter came loose on my dad's CJ7 and got him home in 3rd. Pretty funny, actually.

Anyway, aside from those we had both a Wrangler with the 4 cyl and a Cherokee. The Cherokee is a really wicked vehicle, and if you like that type at all, I'd go for it. I like the standard types like JamisJockey posted. The 4.0 that Jeep uses is a really great design and I never had in problems out of it. However, the 4 cyl wrangler had more than a few engine troubles. The design is just crap, and I'd got straight to the 4.0 or nothing at all.

I'm a huge believer in Jeeps, they're good stuff. They give me that feeling I get when I think of being along side Lewis and Clark or when I'm shooting a scout rifle.

On a more practical note, I've pulled lots of well-loaded trailers across rough trails and roads without any problem.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

RaggedClaws

• friend
Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 11:11:41 AM »
Thanks for the info, and I totally agree with you about the feeling ya get from a Jeep Smiley  I always think of those old WWII movies, or those M.A.S.H. episodes where they're swerving around mortar explosions.  Jeeps are totally unique too.  They aren't trucks (though some call them trucks), they aren't cars, they're just jeeps.

OK, JamisJockey got me thinking about the old Cherokees now.  Any specific year models I should be concerned about, anything to look out for when browsing the lots?  I'm very big on prolonged window shopping and research...

I still love that classic CJ look, maybe one day when I win the lottery, I'll restore an old MB or M38.

Jamisjockey

• friend
Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 11:34:03 AM »
'94 or newer for the XJ Cherokee.  I believe, and I could be wrong because its been awhile since I was deep into this, but the '93's didn't have the High Output 4.0L engine.  Just like any used vehicle, check for undercarriage damage, check for oil and fluid leaks, and look for rust.  One common rust spot for Cherokees is behind the wheelwells.  
To tell if the vehicle has been offroaded hard, look for tire rub marks on on the control arms up front and the insides of the wheelwells.  
Of course, the lower the mileage the better.
JD

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 11:58:08 AM »
Jamis, what type of gas mileage do you get with that?  I just totaled my pretty fuel efficent Cavalier, and am in the market for a smaller SUV/truck.  I hate the idea of cutting my mileage in half, though.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Smoke

Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 02:09:06 PM »
Been owning Jeeps for many years now.  Owned quite a few in a variety of configurations.

My suggestions:

1. Get one.
2. Get the 4.0L (more power, more resale)
3. Don't look into aftermarket parts (it's a vicious never ending spiral that will suck all the $ out of your pockets)
4. Don't attempt to drive it off road, if you do you will invariably resort to #3.
5. If you live where there is cold and snow, hold out for the hardtop.
6. Tread carefully, once you get a Jeep you will be hooked and always have to have one.
7. Enjoy the addiction as much as the rest of us.

Smoke

Jamisjockey

• friend
Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 04:03:30 PM »
Quote from: jefnvk
Jamis, what type of gas mileage do you get with that?  I just totaled my pretty fuel efficent Cavalier, and am in the market for a smaller SUV/truck.  I hate the idea of cutting my mileage in half, though.
It got 18mpg typically even with the big meats (31's).  I no longer have it, and have a pretty fuel efficient Hyundai.  I'd love to get another thats for sure.
JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2005, 04:05:47 PM »
4. Don't attempt to drive it off road, if you do you will invariably resort to #3.
Then whats the point?
Jeeps are meant to be driven off road.  Period.  There isn't a better hunting/fishing/exploring vehicle made.
Learning to drive off road will also make one a better on road urban driver.
JD

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2005, 04:28:08 PM »
Not really, just believe in results.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Jamisjockey

• friend
Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2005, 04:34:48 PM »
I just believe the places I've been in my XJ and in other people's jeeps.

The Rubicon TJ is a great package.  Lockers, D44 axles, and extra skid plating.  Not a bad package.
The new Jeeps are junk, though.
JD

Smoke

Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2005, 02:28:48 AM »
Gotta disagree there my friend.

This Jeep was my 5th.  Came after a two CJ7s, a CJ8, and a Cherokee.  It has 107,000 miles on it with lots of offroad use.  Still going strong and little breakage that was not my fault.

New Jeeps are solid machines and good performers.

Smoke

Jamisjockey

• friend
Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2005, 04:43:03 AM »
Quote from: Smoke
Gotta disagree there my friend.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rogerwparks/97TJ1.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~rogerwparks/97TJ.jpg

This Jeep was my 5th.  Came after a two CJ7s, a CJ8, and a Cherokee.  It has 107,000 miles on it with lots of offroad use.  Still going strong and little breakage that was not my fault.

New Jeeps are solid machines and good performers.

Smoke
Sorry, I'm referring to the Liberty and subsequent models.  The Wrangler has stuck to Jeeps roots.  The coil sprung suspension was a stroke of off-road genius.
JD

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2005, 06:03:29 AM »
I've had a lot of fun and been a lot of places with Jeeps (mostly the old Willys and CJ5 varieties) but I can't imagine why you would want one for a daily driver or a possible tow vehicle.

Especially in snow or ice, the narrow track and short wheelbase can mess up even a careful driver.  The best thing in the snow is something long and heavy (like a loaded school bus Wink )

The old jeeps that I've had experience with were always breaking down - often literally things like broken frames.  But those were used really hard so such things could be expected.

If you just want a 4x4 to drive occasionally, I'd suggest a 70's vintage Chevy/GMC pickup.  The MT DNRC is buying up those (1973-1987) and restoring them for use as wildland firefighting engines.

But if you just want to look cool, then buy the Jeep by all means.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Jeep Wranglers
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2005, 07:01:59 AM »
I neglected to mention that my stepmom has a liberty. It has pretty much been a city vehicle, much to my chagrin, but I have been able to sneak away with it once or twice. It did pretty well down some rough spots. It's not a wrangler, but it's not bad. Just a thought.