Author Topic: Columbine Anniversary  (Read 1411 times)

rainbowbob

• Twin River Heights
Columbine Anniversary
« on: April 18, 2009, 04:53:14 PM »

Leonard Pitts Jr wrote an article on the anniversary of the Columbine massacre. This is an excerpt [With my comments bracketed in blue].

Ten years ago Monday, two boys, Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris, walked into Columbine High in Littleton, Colo. and unleashed hell, killing 13 people, wounding 23 and then committing suicide. In the process, they also unleashed a firestorm of speculation from media-appointed experts, jostling to answer what was suddenly the most important question in the world:

"Why, Lord? Why?"

They told us video games did it. They said years of bullying did it. They said being ostracized did it. They said violent movies did it. They said bad parenting did it. [And...they said easy access to guns did it.]

I said evil did it.

That observation, made in this space, was not especially popular. Small wonder. What do you say after you say evil did it? The very idea stops the discussion, forecloses the hopeful notion that there is something we can do, some measure we can take, to keep this obscenity from happening again. If you say bullying did it, you can seek ways to curtail bullying. If you say video games did it, you can pass laws to curtail video games. [And, if you say guns did it, you can pass more restrictive gun laws.]

But how can you curtail evil? What law can do that? [None.]

And yet, here we are, 10 years out, and I find myself reading reports on the new scholarship that has sprung up around the Littleton massacre, including a book called "Columbine" by Dave Cullen. And the consensus seems to be that everything we thought we knew about why those boys did what they did is wrong.

Turns out they were not bullied. Nor were they outcasts. Nor were they unduly influenced by violent movies. Nor were their parents bad.

Evil. What an old-fashioned and uncomfortable concept. It's so unsatisfactory. No cause and effect to latch on to. No nuts and bolts solutions to apply.

Bad people do bad things. Good people must be prepared to recognize - and if possible - thwart evil.

We like simple answers to difficult problems.

This is a simple problem with a difficult answer.

So what do you think? Are some people simply born to do evil, regardless of their upbringing, mental status, or economic circumstances?
Best regards,
RainbowBob

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Columbine Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 05:21:31 PM »
Some kids seem to have an entirely different world view... I think it's a combination of parents avoiding responsibility in raising their kids with a values system (not necessarily just Judeo-Christian), a school system which, through middle school at least, seems to want the children to be highly confident, and minimally qualified for what follows, and entertainment which seems to be focused upon senseless violence and the idiocy of anyone older than voting age. There are a lot of disconnects, and the fact that most kids manage to cope and emerge as "normal" amazes me.
Blog under construction

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 07:53:48 PM »
The modern school environment provides pressure on a teenage kid. Most people cope well. Some develop problems. Some - very few - snap out and commit acts of evil. It doesn't justify those acts. But it's worth watching for.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 08:47:42 PM »
So what do you  think? Are some people simply born to do evil, regardless of their upbringing, mental status, or economic circumstances?

Sometimes...yes.  Mental status (from birth) can't be ignored though.  I think that some people are born sociopaths. Many elementary teachers claim they could point out the few kids who will end up being sociopathic criminals. I tend to believe them.  After raising two kids myself and participating in scores of school, sports, and social events; it's been interesting seeing how the kids who were little psychos at 5, behave now that they are teens.  I assume they will become criminals or corporate executives, or both.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 09:24:56 PM »
The modern school environment provides pressure on a teenage kid. Most people cope well. Some develop problems. Some - very few - snap out and commit acts of evil. It doesn't justify those acts. But it's worth watching for.

I am as ready to flame our public schools as the next guy.  But I find it hard to put the majority of the blame on them. Look to the parents first. Yeah, some people are just born nuts, but still...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 10:20:14 PM »
"Blame"? The blame belongs squarely on the shooter.

As someone who tutors small children: A lot of people give schools the 'washing machine' treatment. THey think you just throw your children in and wait, and your children will come out educated like laundry comes out clean from a washing machine. THey don't pay attention at all.

And by the time someone figures something out, the damage has been done.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 10:51:27 PM »
"Blame"? The blame belongs squarely on the shooter.

I think we all know where the blame goes around here.   =)

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 02:23:32 AM »
I can't say for sure where any concept of blame lies. However, there's always been a certain percentage of people who get the idea of doing something like this. A percentage of those might actually plan it out. A percentage of those will have the guts to do it. And a percentage of those will actually act on it.

The reason (IMNSHO) we didn't see more of this ages ago is actually fear: fear of what would happen (and how they would be labeled) kept that last percentage to a minimum. In modern times though, it's been an easy way for some schmuck to get their 15 minutes. That helps bring that last percentage up.

Also, remember this: even if that percentage stays the same, the number goes up as population increases...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 03:54:48 AM »
Sometimes...yes.  Mental status (from birth) can't be ignored though.  I think that some people are born sociopaths. Many elementary teachers claim they could point out the few kids who will end up being sociopathic criminals. I tend to believe them.  After raising two kids myself and participating in scores of school, sports, and social events; it's been interesting seeing how the kids who were little psychos at 5, behave now that they are teens.  I assume they will become criminals or corporate executives, or both.

I had a teacher say that about me once.  I've always had a dark sense of humor and apparently an air of madness.  I never threatened anyone, bullied anyone, or did anything I would think remotely in the realm of warranting such a designation.  While not being naturally social, I did engage myself in a wide variety of group activities.

But then again, I am becoming a lawyer....

On a more serious note.  I do believe in evil.  I find it a notion intrinsic to the concept of self determination.  The last of human freedoms and whatnot.  There is always the other side of the bell curve when talking about human decency.  I am very disturbed at the mindset of those that make evil a mental health issue.  While I'd agree there is something broken with many an indivigual, I find the notion we can fix it the pinnacle of inhuman arrogance.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 09:16:52 AM »
I am becoming a lawyer....I do believe in evil. 

You believe in yourself? 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 09:59:01 PM »
the number goes up as population increases...
I think that's a major factor. 

I do believe that there is evil out there, and that certain people are susceptible to it.  Parents, culture, the schools, bullies, all sorts of factors can make someone more (or less) susceptible to evil urges and deeds.  Of course, the more people there are out there the more people there will be who succumb to it.