Author Topic: Moving to Grand Rapids, MI/Kent county. Looking for advice.  (Read 909 times)

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
My wife got a job in Grand Rapids. We have checked out the several time and talked to several people that know the area well, but the more information, the better. Apartment to check out or ones to stay away from....

The limerick, peculiar to English,
Is a verse form that's hard to extinguish,
Once congress, in session,
Decreed it's suppression,
But people got around it by writing the last line without any rhyme or meter.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Moving to Grand Rapids, MI/Kent county. Looking for advice.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 03:19:22 PM »
Paging Gigabuist, Please Pickup The White Courtesy Phone.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 03:19:39 PM »
We got like twelve feet of snow last year.
Why on Earth would you want to move here?  ;)

jeff w

I like onions!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 03:42:34 PM »

An excuse to buy a sled. 

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 04:46:03 PM »
The serious answer?
Plymouth to the East.
Knapp to the North.
Bristol to the West.
36th to the South.
There definitely are exceptions but if you draw a box with those streets and borders,and stay outside the box,you'll be fine.
There are a number of new apartments in downtown G.R.Rumored to be nice,a lot of them are in converted furniture factories.
There are now two (well three actually but one is a small members only deal)indoor shooting ranges in the area.
Cabelas is in Wyoming now.
Open carry is becoming more common.The mayor of GR opposes this almost comically.
Lake Michigan is just over a half hour away.
Do you have kids?Might want to decide on a school first.
I've lived here for over four decades.I don't know squat about the current apartment situation though.
jeff w

I like onions!

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »

Good beer?  :laugh: I think the winter sucked just as bad here anyway.

No kids, so school's aren't a problem. It seems like most of the apartment downtown are rent controlled. What's up with that?
I've been to silver bullet firearms. Seemed nice. I'd rather shoot outside when the weather is nice. Anywhere you'd recommend?

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 06:19:35 PM »
Good beer?  :laugh: I think the winter sucked just as bad here anyway.

No kids, so school's aren't a problem. It seems like most of the apartment downtown are rent controlled. What's up with that?
I've been to silver bullet firearms. Seemed nice. I'd rather shoot outside when the weather is nice. Anywhere you'd recommend?

No idea about the apartment situation.
I was a member at Silver Bullet for a couple of years.Their customer service at the counter was...lacking so I quit going.Gave them three tries over the course of a year.Can't envision going back.
http://www.sksc.org/
^^A friend of mind was a member.Nice people,nice place.It's been some years since I've been there.There's also an outdoor in Walker.You might like that one.I've heard good thing about them.
The last time I went shooting with friends we went to a DNR shooting area up off of 17 mile IIRC.Nothing special.Lots of trash.Typical jerkwads,make a mess and then leave it.

Yes,I understand that there's a lot of beer being brewed around here now.Not my thing,can't help there.
jeff w

I like onions!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 06:22:03 PM »
GR has been noted as the beer capital of America the last two years.  Brew pubs everywhere.

Stay away from any apartments within the box Onions stated.  Although The Hill District is walking distance to the downtown area.  Mixed area, mostly safe.  Artsy Fartsy.  If you have kids though, no!  In addition stay away from the apartment complexes along Alpine ave north of the I-96 freeway.

The north end of town, would be the best part to live.  Much less traffic, quieter and safer.  Schools are better.  There is much to do downtown, and the SE side of town for shopping malls are only 10-15 minutes away from the North Side.   SE and SW are high population high traffic areas.

We have the Detroit Redwings farm club the Griffins.  We have the Tigers farm club, Whitecaps.  A new pro basketball team at the farm club level soon.  Golf courses abound and several sports complexes such as softball/soccer etc.  Rockford is a little village just north of GR.  20 minutes to the south end of GR.  Great little burg.  Lots of good places to live on the outskirts of the city.  You avoid the GR income tax that way, unless you work in the city and you pay half of it.  There are lots of houses to rent rather than going into a large complex.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 09:47:25 PM »
She can commute a long way and have it still not  be that far of a drive timewise compared to a real big city. My brother commutes from Fruitport and it's about a 45 minute drive. Leonard st NW had some cool eclectic, but not too crazy high crime areas 20 yrs ago. Don't know about now.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 07:57:39 AM »
rockfordsportsmansclub.com

PS: My comment about houses to rent was not specifically about Rockford.  The Sunday Grand Rapids Press has quite a large real estate and rental section that shows you where the apartments are.  If you like, PM me and I'll mail this Sunday's section to you.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 01:21:04 AM »
The nice thing about living and working around Grand Rapids is you can get anywhere pretty quick.  Commutes, generally, aren't very problematic.

I only had two apartments in the area.  "The Crossings" in Gaines (which is just south of Kentwood, right on M-6) and that didn't bother me.  However I moved out in 2006 and crime was starting to pick up around that time.  The area developed a lot after I moved in in 2001 and with it came more people and more crime.  I had a moped stolen from me there.  I only owned it 10 days.  The other rental I had was "Ramblewood" out in Wyoming.  Avoid that place.  It's pretty, but cheap, so they get young renters mostly. It can be hit or miss.  Depends on your neighbors.

Up on Alpine you have "York Creek" and that's basically like asking to live next to people with a mobile meth lab. 

Down in Standale, just west of GR, there's "Apple Ridge" which is basically a great place to live if you're college aged but not in college.  I'd avoid it.

There's a nice gated community place (or at least it was back when I visited there) over on East Paris on the south end of GR. The name escapes me.  It's just north of East Paris and 60th Ave. 

The shooting place onions! mentioned in Walker is less than a half mile from my house.  The reason I bought my house is because it was that close to the range.  I don't shoot much now but it really is a good facility.  There's also a lot of good ones in the area.  Silver Bullet is nice for indoor, and I have never had a problem with staff there.  SKSC I've never been to.  Calenodia (south of GR) is also nice.  Odd, since they have a full service bar, but I always enjoyed my time there.

If you like beer it's hard to go wrong in the GR area.  Schmohz is over by the GRR airport, and that's a nice cozy place.  Founders is downtown.  The Hideout is on the north side, slightly west.  Haven't been to either in years though.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 07:41:28 AM »
An excuse to buy a sled. 

And a sand rail or quad, silver lake is not that far away!

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 02:33:07 PM »
I forgot about this place.
http://www.berlinraceway.com/
jeff w

I like onions!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 08:52:39 PM »
I had a moped stolen from me there.  I only owned it 10 days.

They were doing you a favor...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 12:36:33 AM »
Update. We called over 50 apartments and only found 5 apartments that had any vacancies. I guess everyone is moving to the GR area. We didn't bother calling the apartments we were to told to avoid. Several of my wife's future coworkers said to stay away from the same complexes. We drove through York Creek apartments because we were in the area and then we turned around and went far far away.

In the end everything worked out. We got an apartment in a fairly good location and I already have a job lined up. Thanks for all the help.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »
http://woodtv.com/2014/07/25/grand-haven-coast-guard-festival-begins/
If you can,this is kinda fun.
http://www.ioniafreefair.com/
This is too.
Tractor pulls tonight and tomorrow!
jeff w

I like onions!

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 02:01:30 PM »
http://woodtv.com/2014/07/25/grand-haven-coast-guard-festival-begins/
If you can,this is kinda fun.
http://www.ioniafreefair.com/
This is too.
Tractor pulls tonight and tomorrow!

Yup. For the next month or so it's like a tiny little segment of SoCal or Jersey Shore boardwalks without the crazies. Grand Haven, not Ionia. Ionia is like Souix Falls without the crazies. Get to the Mt. Garfield hill climb in Norton Shores if you like bikes.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"