Author Topic: Re-evaluation of life?  (Read 4209 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Re-evaluation of life?
« on: August 27, 2005, 06:37:59 AM »
Every had one of those days where you want to re-evaluate your direction in life?  I'm having one today.

Just received notice of a dismissal of a complaint against me wherein someone complained because I successfully represented them on appeal (yep, that's right, we won on a Double Jeopardy claim).  I gave a young man 20 years of his life back and he complained to the Indiana Supreme Court (who dismissed it the same day).  I am beyond stunned.

I don't know whether to laugh or break something.  Here I was having a good month, actually won a suppression motion last Monday, a girl actually agreed to go out with me, business is good, mortgage steadily shrinking, going on trips to Memphis and New York City, making plans with others for trip to Vancouver then Thunder Ranch in Oregon, and now this.  He's upset because we won?  Because he will be released in his early 30s instead of his early 50s?  

Mom's right, I should have stayed at the white shoe firm in Indy, joined a golf club, played euchre, married a rich chick from the 'burbs and made real estate deals over lunch.  Aaaahhh!  I hear Tejas calling.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

grampster

• friend
Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 07:03:58 AM »
El T,

That is why those in your profession are called a torn ey's.  You are alway torn by circumstance.  It is what you do.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 07:23:12 AM »
Head on down. Coffee's on.  BBQ to be eaten and cold Shiner in the ice tub.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

griz

• friend
Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 07:33:18 AM »
Does it say WHY he complained? Seems a best case outcome for him. Oh well, looks as if the court agreed that it made no sense. File it under the small stuff catagory.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

...has left the building.

Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 07:39:18 AM »
Mom's right, I should have stayed at the white shoe firm in Indy, joined a golf club, played euchre, married a rich chick from the 'burbs and made real estate deals over lunch.
Yo' momma don't tell no lies!

Seriously, you can only be a street soulja for so long. I think you're going to find that representing The Alleged will become as frustrating as representing The Separated. You can take comfort in the fact that you are a valuable part of our system and that you're doing The Right Thing. If anything, just hit me 'n the Snake harder at practice or get a gig doing real estate law where you get to be a six-figure paralegal Wink

Paddy

Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 07:41:51 AM »
Consider the source.  The guy is a convicted criminal, what else would you expect from him?

On the topic, if I had it to do all over again, knowing what I know now, I'd have earned a law degree instead of the BS in BA I've got now.   Not to practice criminal law, (who wants to deal with lying scumballs day in and day out?).  Maybe something like contract (not tort) law, mergers and acquisitions, which require specific and exactingly precise legal language.  It's an art form; it says exactly what it means and nothing else and if properly written excludes any other meaning or interpretations.

That's how it looks from here, but I know the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.  I discovered that some 18 years ago when I changed careers from accounting to real estate and was broke 5 years later.

Re-evaluation is more of an inside job; I've never been much interested in other people's opinions of me nor have those opinions been any kind of impetus for change.   I'm long past the point of expecting any loyalty from employers, and am only willing to trade time for money.  No schmoozing, no golf, no parties and most assuredly no asskissing.

Mostly, I treat other people the way I want to be treated, with courtesy and respect.  I'm honest in my dealings and keep my word.  Anyone who has a problem with that can bite me. Smiley

Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 07:48:34 AM »
Yep, reevaluate. Then get back to what you were doing before you let the little worm ruin your day. Smiley

Good luck!

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 08:37:06 AM »
Riley, I need a new sigline.
May I?

"I'm long past the point of expecting any loyalty from employers, and am only willing to trade time for money.  No schmoozing, no golf, no parties and most assuredly no asskissing.

Mostly, I treat other people the way I want to be treated, with courtesy and respect.  I'm honest in my dealings and keep my word.  Anyone who has a problem with that can bite me."

Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 09:05:54 AM »
Don't look for sympathy from me.

I was gonna go to law school, until I learned that none of the lawyers at the firm I was working at (one of the largest in the Southeast) was happy.  Well, some were: we had a partner that won the lottery, gave the money to a foundation, continued working 80 hour weeks, and never saw his kids grow up.  He enjoyed being a lawyer, but saw the cost.  

It seems the only way to be good is to put the law, and your practice of it, first in your life.

Marry a doctor.  Paying her way through med school sucks, as does the poverty-ridden residency period where you'll never see her, but she'll be happy saving lives, and you can develop a life.

At least, that's how it looks from here.  Of course, now I'm learning to keep the house clean, grow veggies in the back yard, and will have the responsibility (honor!) of raising our kids during the day.

I guess "law" seemed to come down to:
- Mostly defending guilty people in the hope of helping the rare innocent person.
- Occasionally prosecuting someone you thought wasn't guilty (or didn't really do anything wrong) because the State claims it's in their interest to do so.
- Fighting over money.

Looking back on it: I'd probably have been able to make a good life in a small town dealing with wills, contracts, incorporation, and the day-to-day honorable stuff that needs to be done well.

Having said that, I'm glad people like you are doing the job.  I might need you one day.  Cheesy

Paddy

Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 09:20:15 AM »
Fig, go right ahead, it's ok by me.  Maybe I'll use those two sentences on my resume..............

Preacherman

Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005, 10:21:54 AM »
Never mind the problems of being a lawyer - try being a pastor?  You tell people over and over and over again "If you do this, there will be bad results".  What do they do?  They ignore your advice (which they asked for in the first place), get into all sorts of difficulties, then come asking for advice on how to resolve them.

The head-banging smilie on THR would be appropriate here...
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

TarpleyG

• friend
Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2005, 11:20:40 AM »
"I'm long past the point of expecting any loyalty from employers, and am only willing to trade time for money.  No schmoozing, no golf, no parties and most assuredly no asskissing.

Mostly, I treat other people the way I want to be treated, with courtesy and respect.  I'm honest in my dealings and keep my word.  Anyone who has a problem with that can bite me."
I like that too...this here is EXACTLY why my boss is looking for any excuse he can find to axe me.  He is a 'yes' man and I am a 'call it like I see it' man and he hates it.  I am not disrespectful nor am I rude but I REFUSE to kiss anyone's ass in my company (or any other for that matter).  Life's to short to bow down to people who refuse to see you for what you truly are.

Greg

Waitone

• friend
Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2005, 01:44:16 PM »
El T it is best to evaluate life on your terms and on your timing.  The alternative is to have circumstances (life) knee you in the groin and when you hit the ground all curled up it kicks in your teeth.  As as you recover from the first blow you get to pick out what's left of your teeth.  

Self evaluation is indeed a profitable exercise.  Just do it before circumstances slip you the weenie.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

P95Carry

Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2005, 03:30:32 PM »
Mostly, I treat other people the way I want to be treated, with courtesy and respect.  I'm honest in my dealings and keep my word.
Riley - that Sir is way to go - and my style too.  It also helps you sleep nights. Smiley

El T - fact is - there is NO pleasing some folks!
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2005, 04:12:28 PM »
Quote from: RileyMc
Fig, go right ahead, it's ok by me.  Maybe I'll use those two sentences on my resume..............
Thanks Riley.
We only have 100 characters total, so I had to make it a loose paraphrase.  Works for me, though.

Antibubba

• friend
Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2005, 09:37:08 PM »
El T,

Ultimately, the job of an attorney is to best represent his client, which is what it sounds like you did.  I can't imagine why a man would sue you for keeping him out of prison, but you did what your ethics and your professional obligations required you to do..  You represent the clients, but you keep doing it for yourself.

In a month, you'll be sitting in a tavern with some colleagues, and you'll laugh and say, "You think you had a lousy client?....."
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2005, 11:41:19 AM »
I was down all day and cancelled my date so I could better sit around the house and mope.  She understands (she calls me "Mr. Moody").  A friend called and asked if I wanted to go hiking last night.  Beautiful night for a hike, cool breeze, no bugs, I felt great.

This morning I worked out and smacked around the wooden man and the heavy bag and then went running for a couple of hours with my kung fu club.  Felt great.  I feel much better.

I always tell my guys that exercise is the best remedy to stress.  Amazing what happens when you take your own advice.

Anti, no, I didn't get sued, just complained about.  I think you're right however.  Getting too long in the tooth to hang out in taverns though!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

...has left the building.

Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005, 11:55:48 AM »
Sorry I couldn't make the run, I was doing stuff around the house that I've been putting off. Glad that it made ya feel better.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2005, 01:45:48 PM »
El Tejon, sometimes nothing you do will please people.

Other than the episode with this jerk, it sounds like you have life pretty well squared away.

And it sounds like you're getting over the episode.

Wanna trade places? Wink

Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2005, 02:24:38 PM »
I'm getting whiney, which is also pissing me off. Grrr..

Azrael256

• friend
Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2005, 03:02:45 PM »
Barbara, I'm going to send you a box of straws.  When somebody comes whining to you about something an adult should just deal with, you hand them a straw.

"Here's a straw.  Suck it up."

grampster

• friend
Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2005, 03:14:27 PM »
Barbara,
Sounds like you're a bit closer to Hell today than Paradise.

Stop, take a breath, think of the trees, the rocks, the water and the magnificant sunset on the beach at Grand Marais.  Whoooooosh.  Peace to you.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2005, 03:28:40 PM »
Heh..good idea!

Tomorrow is a new day, though, and things will be better. My whining is typically short lived. Smiley

grampster

• friend
Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2005, 04:06:07 PM »
Well, I've been off work since 7-27 and I'm the senior person in the state W. of Lansing, S to the border and N to timbucktwo.  Usually, I'm the only one that has the cojones to point out to the execs when their "new" ideas are really just rehashes of old failed crap.  So, I'm hearing a lot of whining from the sales force because I'm not there to babysit them.  The longer I'm away, the better it's starting to seem.  Although I gotta go back in 2 weeks. (shudder)  So...I guess I sympathize with you.

So to not further hijack the thread from that poor, disallusioned, beaten down, dragged out, and yes, sometimes pathetic attorney living in the wasteland to the south of our great state, a place full of bears and zombies, cheer up El T. Tongue

Preacherman

Re-evaluation of life?
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2005, 04:23:30 PM »
El T, Barbara, this one's for you.

Relaxation Technique

1. Picture yourself near a stream. Birds are softly chirping in the cool mountain air.

2. No one knows your secret place.

3. You are in total seclusion from the hectic place called the world.

4. The soothing sound of a gentle waterfall fills the air with a cascade of serenity.

5. The water is crystal clear.

6. You can easily make out the face of the person you are holding underwater.

See. You're smiling already.
Wink
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/