Author Topic: Bipartisan agreement reached in gun control bill - to ban things already illegal  (Read 2142 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/286079-bipartisan-senate-group-strikes-deal-on-gun-trafficking

Given broad opposition to renewing the federal assault weapons ban and the lack of a bipartisan deal to expand background checks, the Stop Illegal Trafficking in Firearms Act has perhaps the best chance of any gun-violence measure of passing the 113th Congress.

Where are the background check bills going? Nowhere!

Where is it going? NOWHERE!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
It would also outlaw illegal purchasers of firearms from smuggling weapons out of the country.

Like the BATFE?

The $56 question is:  Will they prosecute the wrong doers or is it just another law to screw with law-abiding gun owners?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
It's a trick.  Get an axe.

Beware this thing in the 11th hour and midnight amendments.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
^^^AZ beat me to it. The dens are pushing this so they can gut it and stuff it at the last minute. The GOP is letting them, so they can wring their hands when it passes and say they tried...
Hi.

MicroBalrog

• friend
This means they can't push gun control openly. GREAT!

Now we need to keep vigilant so things aren't attached at the last minute.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Blakenzy

• friend
The legislation is largely based on a bill introduced earlier this year by Leahy and one Gillibrand has been working on for the past four years. It cracked down on both the sale and purchase of guns likely to be used in crimes and lowered the mens rea threshold for prosecuting offenses. Sellers and purchasers can be found guilty if they think — instead of know — the firearms will be used in crimes.

I think that this is intended to give legitimate gun owners cold feet regarding face to face gun sales. If you sell a gun that has any documentation attaching it to your name, and then 5-10 years down the line it somehow finds itself used during a crime, or in possession of someone during a drug raid or a stop and frisk in NY, YOU are going to get prosecuted. That's what this sounds like....

NO GOOD will come from this.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/286079-bipartisan-senate-group-strikes-deal-on-gun-trafficking

Where are the background check bills going? Nowhere!

Where is it going? NOWHERE!

The current schiesse-storm is mostly happening at the state level.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
The current schiesse-storm is mostly happening at the state level.

Shouldn't that be "schiesse sturm"? (German grammar Nazi).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Shouldn't that be "schiesse sturm"? (German grammar Nazi).

schiesse stier  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
If only the 5th Amendment and Burden of Proof were still relevant, we wouldn't have to worry about laws like that.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Just another distraction....
Hi.

Hutch

• friend
SchEISse (shy-suh).  Sheesh...
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.