Author Topic: Forced Diversity strikes again.  (Read 5895 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Forced Diversity strikes again.
« on: November 12, 2009, 05:06:18 PM »
Forced Diversity is quickly becoming the last nail in the coffin of our country. It caused the FT Hood terrorist attack and it seems the military still won't learn it's lesson. This forced diversity makes me want to bang my head against a brick wall. I'm all for diversity, if allowed to happen naturally, as in earn your position. But this. Jeez.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2009/11/navy_colorguard_110509w/

Sources: USNA subbed mids to look more diverse
By Philip Ewing - Staff writer
Posted : Sunday Nov 8, 2009 10:20:54 EST
Naval Academy leaders removed two midshipmen from a color guard that performed at the World Series last week because they were white men, and replaced them with a non-white man and a white woman so the academy could present a more “diverse” profile, according to several sources, a move that has reportedly angered mids and alumni.

As it turned out, the color guard still ended up all white because the male replacement forgot parts of his uniform.

Two white, male members of the color guard learned Oct. 28 they were being replaced with a white woman, Midshipman 2nd Class Hannah Allaire, and a non-white man, Midshipman 2nd Class Zishan Hameed, on orders of the school’s administration, according to an internal e-mail message provided to Navy Times by an academy professor. With a national television audience, Naval Academy leadership worried the color guard it planned to send wasn’t diverse enough, the e-mail said.

However, after the color guard arrived in New York for the game Oct. 29, Hameed, whose family is from Pakistan, realized he had left his dress shoes and cover in Annapolis. Midshipman 1st Class Aaron Stroud regained his place and served as a rifleman for the presentation of the colors. Allaire carried the other rifle and the four original members marched with the flags.

Naval Academy spokesman Cmdr. Joe Carpenter responded to questions about the midshipmen replacements in a written statement Thursday after the color guard story was first reported on the blog “CDR Salamander.”

Carpenter quoted a statement from Naval Academy Commandant Capt. Matt Klunder, who said he wanted to respond to questions about why some of the members of the color guard weren’t able to march at the World Series.

Academy officials actually sent an eight-person color guard to the baseball game, Klunder said, but the full squad couldn’t perform after Hameed forgot part of his uniform, because color guards need an even number of members. So it wasn’t that the academy administration yanked members of the color guard because they were white men, it’s that Hameed’s “uniform inventory problem,” as Klunder called it, meant that only six mids could march, instead of eight.

But a Naval Academy press release on the morning of the game said six mids were presenting the colors at the World Series, and identified them all by name. Stroud and the other white male mid who had been cut went to the game, according to the e-mail obtained by Navy Times — fortunate, because Stroud was needed to take Hameed’s place — but they never expected to be able to march that night.

Carpenter said the initial press release included only six names because the public affairs office didn’t know who else would be joining the World Series color guard. When it learned the names of the other two, the public affairs staff decided it would be too late to put out an updated announcement, he said.

The administration’s decision upset many of the mids, according to the e-mail. But after Klunder heard complaints about the situation from alumni and family members, the brigade’s company commanders were ordered to tell their midshipmen they were forbidden from discussing the color guard story with people outside the Yard, according to a source familiar with the situation who was not authorized to discuss it.

The source said current midshipmen and alumni were frustrated that one of them was denied the chance to march at the World Series, despite having earned it, and that the administration was trying to squelch discussion of it.

Carpenter said he didn’t know who told the midshipmen not to talk about the situation.

The Naval Academy color guard, which is a voluntary extracurricular group, has 28 total members from all four classes.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Forced Diversity strikes again.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 08:14:25 PM »
This forced diversity makes me want to bang my head against a brick wall.

Nah. Kick your elected misrepresentatives out of their over-paid, under-worked jobs instead.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 09:42:02 PM »
There isn't much diversity, that's the problem.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 10:20:58 PM »
The Naval Academy color guard, which is a voluntary extracurricular group, has 28 total members from all four classes.
If the shennanigans reported are true, the 28 color guard members should all UN-volunteer. And the rest of the class should spurn those who don't.

There isn't much diversity, that's the problem.
Dare I say that was the attitude with Ft. Hood brass?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 11:08:35 PM »
Diversity is not a bad thing. Forced Diversity is. It creates protected classes of people or groups that are beyond reproach. Like the terrorist at Ft Hood.

I agree with the above statement that all of the members of the color guard should quit. Those that earned the right to be there are diminished when you force them to stand beside someone put there to show diversity. Hell. One of them couldn't remember to get his uniform correct.

Side note:  Since the terrorist at Hood will be tried under Military law, we will never know the real story. The decision to try him under the UCMJ was a CYA move.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 11:11:47 PM »
He was a soldier [sic] who killed other soldiers on a military base.  Why shouldn't he be tried under UCMJ?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 11:38:20 PM »
Since Hood is an open post, IMO an arguement could be made to try this terrorist in a non military court.

Here is some more info on the Naval Academy.

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/opn/2009/06/14-47/Guest-Column-The-cost-of-a-diverse-Naval-Academy.html?ne=1

Guest Column: The cost of a diverse Naval Academy
By BRUCE FLEMING
Published 06/14/09
The Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Gary Roughead announced in Annapolis recently that "diversity is the number one priority" at the Naval Academy.

The Naval Academy superintendent, Vice Adm. Jeffrey Fowler, echoed him. Everyone understands that "diversity" here means nonwhite skins.

Fowler insisted recently that we needed to have Annapolis graduates who "looked like" the Fleet, where enlisted people are about 42 percent nonwhite, largely African American and Hispanic.

The stunning revelation last week was that the Naval Academy had an incoming class that was "more diverse" than ever before: 35 percent minority.

Sounds good, only this comes with a huge price tag. It's taxpayers who bankroll the military. Yet nobody has asked us if we're willing to pay this price. Instead we're being told there is no price to pay at all. If you believe that, you probably also believe in the Tooth Fairy.

A "diverse" class does not mean the Naval Academy recruits violinists, or older students (they can't be 23 on Induction Day), or gay people (who are thrown out) or foreign students (other than the dozen or so sent by client governments).

It means applicants checked a box on their application that says they are Hispanic, African American, Native American, and now, since my time on the Admissions Board of the Academy, where I've taught for 22 years, Asians.

Midshipmen are admitted by two tracks. White applicants out of high school who are not also athletic recruits typically need grades of A and B and minimum SAT scores of 600 on each part for the Board to vote them "qualified." Athletics and leadership also count.

A vote of "qualified" for a white applicant doesn't mean s/he's coming, only that he or she can compete to win the "slate" of up to 10 nominations that (most typically) a Congress(wo)man draws up. That means that nine "qualified" white applicants are rejected. SAT scores below 600 or C grades almost always produce a vote of "not qualified" for white applicants.

Not so for an applicant who self-identifies as one of the minorities who are our "number one priority." For them, another set of rules apply. Their cases are briefed separately to the board, and SAT scores to the mid-500s with quite a few Cs in classes (and no visible athletics or leadership) typically produce a vote of "qualified" for them, with direct admission to Annapolis. They're in, and are given a pro forma nomination to make it legit.

Minority applicants with scores and grades down to the 300s with Cs and Ds (and no particular leadership or athletics) also come, though after a remedial year at our taxpayer-supported remedial school, the Naval Academy Preparatory School.

By using NAPS as a feeder, we've virtually eliminated all competition for "diverse" candidates: in theory they have to get a C average at NAPS to come to USNA, but this is regularly re-negotiated.

All this is probably unconstitutional. That's what the Supreme Court said about the University of Michigan's two-track admissions in 2003.

Once at Annapolis, "diverse" midshipmen are over-represented in our pre-college classes, in lower-track courses, in mandatory tutoring programs and less challenging majors. Many struggle to master basic concepts. (I teach some of these courses.)

Of course, some minority students are stellar, but they're the exception. Despite being dragged toward the finish line, minorities graduate at about a 10 percent lower rate than the whole class, which of course includes them (so the real split is greater).

Don't want to believe me? Have a lawyer sit in on a year's worth of Admissions Board deliberations. Or better still, pray that one of the stellar white students rejected to give a seat to a "diverse" candidate sues us. That's the only way taxpayers will ever fully understand the price to them of "putting diversity first."

The writer is an English professor at the Naval Academy.

Abraham Lincoln

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 11:50:29 PM »
Seems to me a citizen of a country attacking that country's military facility in coordination with a foreign body is an act of treason, is it not?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 12:13:16 AM »
Side note:  Since the terrorist at Hood will be tried under Military law, we will never know the real story. The decision to try him under the UCMJ was a CYA move.

[tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

Military, killed military. Time of war as far as I'm concerned and showed cowardice for not deploying, as well as harboring treasonous ideals that led to the shooting. Officer, swore an oath, violated pretty much every line of it. Willfully and premeditated. Try him at court martial. Then post, rope, blindfold, volunteers, rifles. All available at base supply I'm sure.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 04:33:15 AM »
Try him at court martial. Then post, rope, blindfold, volunteers, rifles. All available at base supply I'm sure.

Just wait until they start arguing that the firing squad isn't diverse enough.

However, after the color guard arrived in New York for the game Oct. 29, Hameed, whose family is from Pakistan, realized he had left his dress shoes and cover in Annapolis.

What could be more diverse in a military color guard than some guy in sneakers and a ball cap?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 07:32:46 AM »
What could be more diverse in a military color guard than some guy in sneakers and a ball cap?
Hey! no making fun of the future of Naval leadership!  :laugh:
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 10:30:14 AM »
in coordination with a foreign body is an act of treason, is it not?

Hassan's actions were treason, but it was not in coordination with any foreign body, unless you are privvy information that FBI's withholding from the general public. 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 11:24:05 AM »
Since Hood is an open post, IMO an arguement could be made to try this terrorist in a non military court.

Nope.  Totally a UCMJ thing, although the Feds can also have a go at him afterwards for the crime on a Federal installation bit.  Something tells me it won't go that far, though.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 11:38:56 AM »
As it turned out, the color guard still ended up all white because the male replacement forgot parts of his uniform.

I wonder if the bugler forgot his bugle?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 02:40:43 PM »
Looks like we'll be treated to an A-B comparison.  Hood's killer in military court - KSM et al in NY civilian court.

Care to predict where the circus will appear?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 07:02:06 PM »
We have now arrived at a point where the very first thing that pops into my head when I see a person of color in a position of authority is whether or not he or she is really qualified ,or whether they got there by preferential treatment -AKA "affirmative action". Coming soon to your hospital, no doubt.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 07:35:42 PM »
The (un)intended consequence of all this "diversity" will be increasing racial and ethnic division.

To some in power this is, of course, immensely useful.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 11:23:59 PM »
I wonder if the bugler forgot his bugle?

that's a low blow  :angel:

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 05:43:27 AM »
We have now arrived at a point where the very first thing that pops into my head when I see a person of color in a position of authority is whether or not he or she is really qualified ,or whether they got there by preferential treatment -AKA "affirmative action". Coming soon to your hospital, no doubt.

well said. I feel the same way.

Abraham Lincoln

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 08:48:04 AM »

If you feel that way automatically, I feel bad for you. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2009, 09:43:08 AM »
If you feel that way automatically, I feel bad for you

Its a valid concern. Hell, when I ETS from the Army in the mid 90s and applied for the Dallas and Garland PDs, minorities and women got 5 to 10 extra points added to their exam scores. That meant an underqualified person could out score a more qualified person that does not get the "extra" help.

In the mid 80s before joining the Army I applied for a job with the Tyler Fire Dept. A decent size city. And was told by a senior chief, friend of my father, that he had positions available but could not hire me unless, and I quote, "unless you come back black or grow a set of boobs".

Now. This problem has been festering way before those incidents I experienced. Now that fester is popping. Are there folks of color in jobs of authority the best at what they do?  Damn straight there are. But with promotions, testing and diversity quotas so ingrained in society, we really can only guess about competence.

Hasan is the poster boy of forced diversity. It's not a racial thing. I don't care if the person is from Mars, purple and has six arms, three legs and two noses. If they earned their position by being the best, that's what matters.

DM

Abraham Lincoln

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2009, 11:23:06 AM »
Now. This problem has been festering way before those incidents I experienced. Now that fester is popping. Are there folks of color in jobs of authority the best at what they do?  Damn straight there are. But with promotions, testing and diversity quotas so ingrained in society, we really can only guess about competence.

Having worked for a couple of affirmative-action morons, and some of the best minorities and women in their fields, I can attest to that.

I had to walk off one job in the middle of the supervisor's (mother of four by three different fathers, none of whom she was married to, her 60-something mother is raising the kids) lecture about responsibility and accepting the consequences of one's actions.  (Somebody screwed up on day shift, none of them would fess up, so all of us got the lecture.  I wasn't the only one they lost that day, though none of the walkouts were from the shift that screwed up.)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 12:29:22 PM »
had to walk off one job in the middle of the supervisor's (mother of four by three different fathers, none of whom she was married to, her 60-something mother is raising the kids) lecture about responsibility and accepting the consequences of one's actions.

You worked with my sister?  :O
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

nico

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 01:59:58 PM »

It's already there.

ETA: I think this hurts minorities who deserve to be where they are the most.  I have black friends who are very smart and worked very hard to get where they are.  It's not right that their accomplishments should be doubted because others didn't earn what they have.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:12:23 PM by nico »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 02:05:02 PM »
I don't know if it would make any difference, but I wish there were some way of explaining to racial minorities the resentment that affirmative action causes among whites.  It doesn't really affect me that much, but if I had a nickel for every time I've heard white people complain about it...

Sadly, the only media figure who will address the issue is Michael Savage.  Who is a raving lunatic, and comes off like a Klansman half the time. 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife