Author Topic: Dems Target a New Seat of Power  (Read 6961 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Dems Target a New Seat of Power
« on: February 01, 2010, 06:09:24 PM »
Wow. Just wow.  Gerrymandering be damned. This is an interesting read, a bit of news that's flying well below the radar. Just think how many elections, right now, were rigged. How many critters are serving that might not been rightfully elected?   

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/29/states-secretaries-state-tipping-balance-power/

Dems Target a New Seat of Power
Feb 01, 2010 5:28 PM EST
In 2000 it was Katherine Harris, the secretary of state of Florida, who made critical decisions that helped swing the state Republican.

In 2004 it was Kenneth Blackwell, Ohio's Secretary of State, who earned democratic wrath for ensuring a close Republican win.

In 2008 it was the Secretary of State of Minnesota, Mark Richie, who handed that state's Senate seat to Al Franken and control of Congress to the Democrats.

In every major election since 2000 Secretaries of State have emerged as key, often decisive, and partisan figures in the outcomes of those ballot battles.

And just last week in Massachusetts there was cause of concern that the upset victory by Scott Brown could be compromised by that state's Secretary of State, who has to certify the results.

According to Professor Robert Pastor of the Center for Democracy and Election Management at American University, the situation has gotten so bad that the partisan roles of the secretaries of states in the election process are undermining the faith of Americans in the election process.

"After the 2000 election, partisanship in the office accelerated. It has skewed enough elections since then that a sufficient number of Americans should be concerned," he said. "We are worse than many third world countries" in holding fair and nonpartisan elections.

And now there is a quiet, below-the-radar but major effort to target secretary of state offices in order to influence the outcome of upcoming elections.

Since 2006 the Democracy Alliance, a left leaning influence group funded by George Soros among others, has had remarkable success in targeting and claiming Secretary of State's offices in 11 of 13 critical states they targeted, including Ohio, Minnesota and Iowa.

Called the Secretary of State Project (SOSP) its aim is to target and capture the obscure, often overlooked office and implement election rules changes that give democrats a better chance of winning a plurality. Among those changes that SOSP calls "election protection," are a loosening of voter registration requirements and a lessening of efforts to prevent fraudulent voting, according to Matthew Vadum, a political analyst with the Capitol Research Center.

'The thing that is amazing is that they can get the office for as little $100,000 in campaign funding because no one pays attention to it, and they get to control election opportunities in a state. It is cheap," Vadum said.

He said SOSP is currently targeting three states in the 2010 election: California, Michigan and Minnesota. In total they count for 82 electoral votes.

Vadum says that because of chaos and demoralization the Republican Party has not formulated a response to the SOSP or tried to match their efforts.

Perhaps nowhere is the impact of the new influence of the Secretary of State had a more profound than in Minnesota, where Mark Richie defeated incumbent Republican Secretary of Sate Mary Kiffmeyer in 2006.

Ritchie, a former community organizer, said at his inauguration that he owed his upset victory to the Secretary of State project.

According to Kiffmeyer, as soon as Ritchie took office he began dismantling much of the framework that had been assembled to ensure honest voting in the state. It was that loosening of election controls, she argues, that lead to the eight month standoff between incumbent Senator Norm Coleman and challenger Al Franken in what was one of the closest Senate race ever.

Kiffmeyer is "absolutely sure" that Ritchie's efforts to eliminate voting regulations ensured Franken's victory.

"The first thing he did when he got into office was to dismantle the ballot reconciliation program we started. Under that program districts are required to check that the number of ballots issued by matching them with the number of ballots cast," she said, "that way we know immediately that the vote count is accurate."

But that isn't what happened, she said. We now have 17,000 more ballots cast than there are voters who voted and no way to determine what went wrong. Why anyone would eliminate that basic check, I don't know," she said.

Months after the election was finally settled, two activist/ computer experts have pieced together the consequences of what they say was the loosening of the rules.

In a telephone interview from Minneapolis, Dan McGrath and Jeff Davis, who have formed a small research-watchdog group called the Minnesota Majority, say that their computer assisted-examination of the voting records from the 2008 election show that Al Franken's 312 vote margin of victory can be attributed to Ritchie's dismantling election rules. Specifically they charge that Franken's victory can be attributed entirely to illegally cast votes by convicted felons.

"We used an algorithm that cross-checked voting records against criminal records using first name, last name and date of birth and found that 1400 convicted felons had voted illegally in Minnesota," Jeff Davis explained. "Most of those came from Ramsey and Hannifin counties (i.e. Minneapolis)," he said explaining that they were heavily Democratic strongholds and, by almost any measure, would have been predominantly Democratic votes.

The two said they had forwarded 460 names of felons who records show voted in the last election to the Ramsey County prosecutor's office.

Paul Gustafson, spokesman for the Ramsey county prosecutor's office, said that the office was looking into the claims. "To date 26 felons have been charged with vote fraud and investigations were continuing in 186 cases submitted by the group," he said. He also said that 243 cases had been determined to be unfounded.

"These cases can be time consuming and difficult," Gustafson said, "because felons often don't stay at the same address and can be hard to find."

McGrath said he was surprised at the number of "unfounded" cases and wondered if politics might have played a part in the outcomes. "The prosecutor is running for governor and may not want to look too closely at the figures," he said.

Mark Aiken, spokesman for Ritchie's office declined comment on the voting discrepancies and the SOSP involvement in the state.

While the founders of the SSOP have failed to respond to interview requests, they have been quoted as saying that the project was begun in response to actions by the Ohio Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell.

They were convinced that Blackwell's decisions in 2004 not to count some provisional ballots and other actions had cost John Kerry the election. In an article after the election Robert F. Kennedy Jr. argued that Blackwell "had prevented more than 350,000 voters in Ohio from casting ballots or having their votes counted -- enough to have put John Kerry in the White House.

Blackwell's office was one of the first and most critical offices claimed by SOSP. He was succeeded in 2006 by Jennifer Bruner, who received $167,000 in campaign contributions from SOSP, and immediately began a complete overhaul of Ohio's voting system. Among the changes she made were allowing election day registration and the failure to purge election rolls of ineligible and dead voters.

Her most memorable moment was when a federal court judge ruled that she had violated federal law for "not taking adequate steps to validate the identity of newly registered voters." At the time she admitted that there were "discrepancies" in about 200,000 new registrations but refused to allow polling workers to take action on the questionable ballots.

In Massachusetts, concern that Secretary of State William Galvin, who had been cited by federal courts for failing to count absentee ballots in earlier elections would withhold certification of upset winner Scott Brown to allow Democrats to salvage the health care effort rattled observers

However a spokesman for Galvin said he would file the papers "probably on Wednesday."

"Having partisan oversee elections officials makes election decisions suspect," Pastor said.

"Virtually no other country in the world allows partisan political figures to run their elections, except the United States," he said.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 02:05:48 PM by Dust Monkey »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Dems Target a New Seat of Power
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 09:35:32 PM »
But that isn't what happened, she said. We now have 17,000 more ballots cast than there are voters who voted and no way to determine what went wrong. Why anyone would eliminate that basic check, I don't know," she said.

As people used to say in Chicago: "Vote early; vote often; vote Democratic." Frankly, I've to wonder why representatives of the Democratic [sic] party don't simply cancel elections and appoint one another to office for life.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:53:29 PM »
"After the 2000 election, partisanship in the office accelerated. It has skewed enough elections since then that a sufficient number of Americans should be concerned," he said. "We are worse than many third world countries" in holding fair and nonpartisan elections.

This statement had a "Its George Bush's fault" ring to it, maybe I am hyper sensitive to it. Like some chemical irritants, these statements can be sensitizers.

"Virtually no other country in the world allows partisan political figures to run their elections, except the United States," he said.

I found this to be a huge statement. I can think of several countries that allow partisan figures to run their elections. States like Iraq under Hussein come to mind.  Maybe the US is the only country that admits it, while at least superficially attempting a non-partisan election, if not close to truely free.

I often wondered if the side effect of increasing/centralizing fed power would be something like this.

The people become so distracted with fed politics that they often ignore state elections. Keeping up with both is almost a full time job, and I am just as guilty of this as many.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 02:39:20 AM »
To whom is this story attributable? Writing for what organization? I see a lot of assertions which seem no more than someone's opinion.

While I don't doubt the possibility, I have to question the validity.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 11:14:25 AM »
I agree with Sgt. Bob.  I would like to see a link to the actual story.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 02:07:10 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/29/states-secretaries-state-tipping-balance-power/

Link provided.  Research away. I'd like more info on this as well. That's why I posted it.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 02:09:50 PM »
Has there actually been that much "partisan" actions taken by these secretary of states?  The election in Florida was gone through with a fine tooth comb and no one could find anything really wrong with the count.  I don't know about the one in Ohio.  I didn't think it was all that close.  The only part of the election in Minnesota was I heard that certain counties/precincts kept finding more ballots which were approved.  

IMO, there was more partisan politics in the courts in the Florida case from 2000.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 02:22:20 PM »
If it's true, IF, that safeguards are being ignored or rescinded on purpose, by either party, it's bad. This article blames the Dems. And we all know Dems love to have dead people and Dallas Cowboys vote in Nevada. I'm not wanting to blast Democrats or Republicans. If this is actually happening, it needs some major attention paid to it.

Things I disagree with is registering to vote and getting to vote THAT day.

Rules of reconciling the votes cast and the actual number of registered voters being ignored.

Thing like that. Makes you wonder if your critter was elected or chosen.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 04:13:40 PM by Dust Monkey »

Abraham Lincoln

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 04:22:27 PM »
I agree registering to vote and getting to vote THAT day is very bad.  It's not like you don't have an opportunity to register (MotorVoter.)

I know here in Ohio, the current Secretary of State did loosen up the rules, per the news article and we did have a few case of voter fraud.  One case was that a student from out of state did register to vote and voted in Ohio and then had some remorse and turned himself in.  IIRC he was prosecuted .

As Dust Monkey says:
Gerrymandering be damned.

Since carving up districts aren't working, why not go after the chief election official.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 04:40:51 PM »
Personally, I always figured they should put up deliberate road blocks to voting.  If someone doesn't care enough to fill out the registration form themselves and turn it in, then do they care enough to make an informed vote? 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 04:46:03 PM »
I agree. Where I live. AR, when you get/renew your drivers license or state ID, you are asked if you want to be registered to vote. I also think if you recieved sme form of Government assistance, welfare etc.., that you should not get to vote or you get only a 1/2 vote. Since politcians buy votes by promising to increase entitlement spending. If you are on the entitlement teat, you shouldn't be able to vote yourself more money.

Abraham Lincoln

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »
I agree. Where I live. AR, when you get/renew your drivers license or state ID, you are asked if you want to be registered to vote. I also think if you recieved sme form of Government assistance, welfare etc.., that you should not get to vote or you get only a 1/2 vote. Since politcians buy votes by promising to increase entitlement spending. If you are on the entitlement teat, you shouldn't be able to vote yourself more money.

Great. Good to know that people who lose limbs in an accident can't vote in your world.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 05:16:46 PM »
That's not what I'm saying and you know it. Someone who has served their country and was injured, should be taken care of. But I fail to find anywhere in the constitution where it states that the Govt is supposed to care for disabled, people who lose limbs, or are just down on their luck. People need to have personal respinsibility. Entitlements, in my world, are unconstitutional, theft.

Abraham Lincoln

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 05:23:14 PM »
What you said was "If you are on the entitlement teat, you shouldn't be able to vote yourself more money."

So, Joe Smith loses his legs in an accident, he loses the right to vote?

Note that "entitlements are unconstitutional" is not really relevant because:

1. The constitutions of several states allow them to pay entitlement spending.

2. While, of course, Federal entitlements are unconstitutional and should be ended, it's highly unlikely the courts will throw them out.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 05:37:19 PM »
I believe any entitlement, state or federal, is unconstitutional. Don't care if the state constitution says so. If you take money from one to give to another under the guise of tax to fund an entitlement, it's wrong, it's theft.

Joe, who was in a wreck and lost his whatever, should have had the personal responsibility to think ahead and have a plan. Insurance, savings etc. It's not my redponsibility to pay for Joes bad accident and the aftermath.

Hell, I wish someone would pay me an entitlement for worn out knees and a bad back for years of working, while paying taxes which some go to entitlements. I could use the $$ to subsidize a new TV or something. But. I have insurance. Have had for almost 25 years.

Bad things happen to folks every day. I nor anyone else should be made to be responsible. That's a dangerous step.

And we agree. Courts, none of them, anytime soon will throw them out.

Abraham Lincoln

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 05:54:59 PM »
I believe any entitlement, state or federal, is unconstitutional. Don't care if the state constitution says so.

...Are you sure that is the word you want to use?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 06:01:44 PM »
Is anyone aware of a constitution of any state that explicitly says that the state may take money from some people and give it to others?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 06:26:49 PM »
Is anyone aware of a constitution of any state that explicitly says that the state may take money from some people and give it to others?

The Constitution of Pennsylvania provides:

For the establishment of public education:

Section 14: The General Assembly shall provide for the maintenance and support of a thorough and efficient system of public education to serve the needs of the Commonwealth.

For tax breaks for the poor:

(b) The General Assembly may, by law:

(ii) Establish as a class or classes of subjects of taxation the property or privileges of persons who, because of age, disability, infirmity or poverty are determined to be in need of tax exemption or of special tax provisions, and for any such class or classes and standards and qualifications,and except as herein provided may impose taxes, grant exemptions, or make special tax provisions in accordance therewith. No exemption or special provision shall be made under this clause with respect to taxes upon the sale or use of personal property, and no exemption from any tax upon real property shall be granted by the General Assembly under this clause unless the General Assembly shall provide for the reimbursement of local taxing authorities by or through the Commonwealth for revenue losses occasioned by such exemption;

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 06:32:08 PM »
Alabama Constitution:

SECTION 88: Counties to provide for maintenance of the poor.

It shall be the duty of the legislature to require the several counties of this state to make adequate provision for the maintenance of the poor.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 06:57:03 PM »
Thanks. I didn't know about those.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 07:34:16 PM »
So to be clear here. You support entitlements. Correct?  You support taking money from one person and giving it to another. Correct?

Abraham Lincoln

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 07:38:17 PM »
So to be clear here. You support entitlements. Correct?  You support taking money from one person and giving it to another. Correct?

He's saying that the U.S. Constitution doesn't forbid states from having their own entitlement programs.  His main point is that voting shouldn't be based on entitlements, even if entitlements are bad.

Note that "entitlements are unconstitutional" is not really relevant because:

1. The constitutions of several states allow them to pay entitlement spending.

2. While, of course, Federal entitlements are unconstitutional and should be ended, it's highly unlikely the courts will throw them out.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 08:54:38 PM »
So to be clear here. You support entitlements. Correct?  You support taking money from one person and giving it to another. Correct?

No. I do not support entitlement in the sense which you are trying to ascribe to me. We are all in agreement I think, that a welfare state is wrongheaded and evil.

However:

1. I think that a very limited entitlement system, to support people who really cannot help themselves, people who are disabled, or mentally ill, or who have in fact become injured due to some failure on behalf of the government, is possibly permissible. I would prefer it to be done by charities, of course.

2. I do not believe that voting should be conditioned on a person's financial status and his receiving of aid. The government is not purely a machine for the management of tax money.

3. Whether or not I believe in these methods, local government may disburse money to the poor if it is authorized by their local Constitution.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 09:12:17 PM »
1. I think that a very limited entitlement system, to support people who really cannot help themselves, people who are disabled, or mentally ill, or who have in fact become injured due to some failure on behalf of the government, is possibly permissible.

Subsidies for APS, then.  Yes!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 09:37:48 PM »
I also believe help/entitlements should be handled by charities. No Government involvement at all. Not even a "limited" Govt entitlement program. That's the camels nose under the tent. Where
do you draw the line?  Who gets an entitlement? Who doesn't? 

Look. I'm not a cold blooded bastard. My wife and I donate/help local charities where we can. Ever
since the Angel Tree project started, we always pick 2 elderly people, a couple if we can, and get them a set of winter clothes, shoes and make sure they get a good meal for Xmas and inquire if there are any special needs for them. One year we made sure a couple had groceries for a month. That's just some examples of what we do, in our community.

Government should not be in the charity business. Period. The entitlement system needs to be killed, federal and state. It's. Drain on the entire system. Fraud runs unchecked.

We, as human beings, should help those in need. But I've found that most people in need or that are down and out, if you peel back the layers of the story, it's their fault that they are in the situation they're in. Everytime I found myself in a bad way, I could only blame myself. 

Abraham Lincoln