Author Topic: Neat cartoon. Lessons from 1948  (Read 2265 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Neat cartoon. Lessons from 1948
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:57:38 PM »
From 6.30 to 7.00 is excellent.  Yes, we have a disproportionate share of the world's wealth.  And it is awesome.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:10:42 PM »
I've seen this cartoon a birrion times.  It's amazing, and pretty sad at the same time.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

taurusowner

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
Interesting how they left the 2A out of the list of freedoms near the beginning.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 01:36:14 AM »
Interesting how they left the 2A out of the list of freedoms near the beginning.

From what I've read and the WW2/Korea era vets I've spoken with it seems that in that period the 2A was simply a given in every day life, despite the NFA being passed some 14 years before. It was only 3 years after the Second World War and a 15 year old could go into a hardware store, lay down 25 dollars for a surplus army rifle and walk out with it as soon as the cashier had finished the transaction. As one of these gentlemen related to me "there were barrels filled with 1903's and the like. After I bought it I slung it on my shoulder, got on the city bus with it and rode home. No one so much as batted an eye at it, it was normal." A different world indeed.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 01:58:53 AM »
From what I've read and the WW2/Korea era vets I've spoken with it seems that in that period the 2A was simply a given in every day life, despite the NFA being passed some 14 years before. It was only 3 years after the Second World War and a 15 year old could go into a hardware store, lay down 25 dollars for a surplus army rifle and walk out with it as soon as the cashier had finished the transaction. As one of these gentlemen related to me "there were barrels filled with 1903's and the like. After I bought it I slung it on my shoulder, got on the city bus with it and rode home. No one so much as batted an eye at it, it was normal." A different world indeed.
That's one of the things that makes me sad.  Not just because of what all is in the video, but what all the video reminds me of.
America is a lot different from what it was in those days.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 12:14:40 PM »
That's one of the things that makes me sad.  Not just because of what all is in the video, but what all the video reminds me of.
America is a lot different from what it was in those days.

Taxes are lower.

You can actually carry concealed weapons through most of the states.

You can own gold.

There is no military draft,  censorship and Jim Crow are dead.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 03:20:53 AM »
If you were white and/or not one of "those people" (and the cops/sheriff knew who "they" were) you could carry concealed most everywhere in the country without real hassle.

Equal treatment under the law and the move toward gun control had consequences for folks who were never bothered no matter the law on the books.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 05:55:58 AM »
If you were white and/or not one of "those people" (and the cops/sheriff knew who "they" were) you could carry concealed most everywhere in the country without real hassle.

Why, that makes everything better.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 05:58:19 AM »
Why, that makes everything better.

;) :P
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 08:45:04 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 11:50:22 AM »
Taxes are lower.

You can own gold.

Thanks.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 01:54:58 PM »
Taxes are lower.

You can own gold.

There you go again, looking at the polished end of the turd!  :P =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G