Author Topic: Won't speed over that hill  (Read 6980 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Won't speed over that hill
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 11:43:14 AM »
Avenger29, that's much easier than you think but i'm pretty sure your have to remove the airbags for it to really be beneficial. oh and i would go with a 6point that single crotch strap hurts. shocked link with a car, best pics i can find right now undecided oh and if you roll the truck i think you might be better off with the 3point than a 5or6 without a roll cage. Face Palm

One thing I'm dealing with is that I am short of factory seatbelt attachment points as the shoulder strap top point attaches to a reel inside the seat instead of the usual side pillar mount.

I'm just considering it and doing research right now, not really moving on anything...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 11:48:11 AM »
I only buckle mine when I'm out on the paved highway.  ;)

Wearing a seatbelt religiously saved my ass when I pulled a stupid-19-year-old-boy trick in 1995.
I rolled my little pickup at a high rate of speed on a dirt road. 
My passenger and I would probably have both been ejected through the open windows. 
Instead, we ended up with whiplash and seat-belt-bruising. 

The nanny state can pound sand.  I wear a seatbelt 100% of the time because:
  • more control over the vehicle having the seatbelt hold your position
  • I'm not dead/parapalegic/quadrapelgic today because it saved my ass once already
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2010, 11:58:48 AM »
Wearing a seatbelt religiously saved my ass when I pulled a stupid-19-year-old-boy trick in 1995.
I rolled my little pickup at a high rate of speed on a dirt road. 

There you go, making me feel old again  =(

I only roll my big pickup at low rates of speed on dirt roads  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2010, 12:04:03 PM »
i hate that. the low speed rolls are bad you feel like you should be able to stop it somehow. my best/worst was as a kid we rolled a truck with it sitting still in neutral. was on a dike and we were too close to the edge on the soft stuff. the vibration started us slipping and sliding and we slow motion rolled that big pig into a pond.  it was empty was surprisingly bouyant.... for a short while.  wish i coulda seen how they got it out
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2010, 01:46:36 PM »
I was just joking  ;)

I've really never rolled anything, despite trying hard a few times.

It's actually pretty amazing how steep a sidehill you can get a 3/4 ton 4wd pickup on and not roll it.

It's also kinda fun when your young and single and have a couple gals abong with you - everybody tends to slide to one end or the other of the bench seat  :cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 02:24:06 PM »
It's also kinda fun when your young and single and have a couple gals abong with you

Don't you mean "a couple gals and a bong with you"? ;)

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 03:13:57 PM »
It seems to me any sane judge would throw an absolute fit if a cop gave you a ticket for something the cop knew you didn't do.  That's illegal, isn't it?  The cop has to sign the ticket, under penalty of perjury, right?

It doesn't matter if you had a dead body in the trunk of your car.

Lot of judges/courts are "in on" the ticketing schemes in some municipalities *cough*Scottsdale, AZ*cough*...

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 05:14:50 PM »
^ Monkeyleg

... a bong...

Laughed my silly booty off.  Jezze, Tallpine, that's halfway across the keyboard.  'Less'n yer texting, I s'pose.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2010, 05:18:43 PM »
Don't you mean "a couple gals and a bong with you"? ;)

Actually, No.  :angel:

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2010, 06:14:14 PM »
One of my close friends is a state trooper.  He says that lately the higher-ups have ordained that the best way to protect the public is "policing by the numbers". 

As I understand the concept, some egghead did some research and concluded that the optimum way to police a community is to divide police man-hours up into X% traffic enforcement, Y% patrolling high crime areas, Z% community relations, etc.  And each of thiose categories is further subdivided by percentage: while you're performing traffic enforcement, you goal should be to come up with A% speeding violations, B% drunk driving, C% seatbelt violations, and on and on.

My friend hates it.  It removes any ability he has to use his judgment and experience to do the best job he can.  Instead, he's been reduced to a bureaucrat filling up his percentages.  Even if he knows crime is likely taking place in another part of town, or that there are people who need his help right now, he can't do anything.  If he's scheduled to give out 10 seatbelt tickets per hour right now, that's all he's allowed to do.

So it sounds like the seatbelt-ticket-instead-of-speeding-ticket thing feeds right into this.  The cops need to make their numbers on the seatbelt violations, so they go where they know it'll be easy to convince drivers to accept a seat belt ticket, even if the driver was in fact wearing a seatbelt.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »
What a lot of administrators and "eggheads" seem to forget is that after a while, violations go down as the public catches on and the word spreads.

So subsequent reviews of "the numbers" almost inevitably show a decline.

So it looks like the enforcers (not just traffic law enforcement) are falling down on the job.

Rocks and hard places.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:00:39 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.