Author Topic: women's pant/belt size question  (Read 3530 times)

TMM

• friend
women's pant/belt size question
« on: November 05, 2010, 04:03:47 PM »
hey all...

i was thinking about ordering a special belt for my girlfriend for christmas, but i'm not sure what size to order! i know she's about a size 12, but i have no idea how that compares to a belt measurement in inches/men's pant size. googling this only made me a little bit more confused. ??? does anyone happen to know what size i would want to choose?

thanks!

tmm

Hutch

• friend
Re: women's pant/belt size question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 04:11:34 PM »
DANGER!  DANGER!  RUN AWAY!

No good can come of this.  Guess to small, she feels bad about herself.  Guess too big, and she will hang YOU with it.  Just right, and you're just massaging your own ego and giving her something she probably doesn't want.

A gift certificate for a Spa trip.  Works every time.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 04:20:19 PM »
DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT BUY HER A BELT!!!  You can only lose.

I agree with the spa thing...pedi, manni, mud bath, facial, massage.  Win!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 04:29:36 PM »
DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT BUY HER A BELT!!!  You can only lose.

I agree with the spa thing...pedi, manni, mud bath, facial, massage.  Win!

I will strenuously AGREE with grampster.....DO NOT BUY THIS FOR HER!!!!!!!!!!!  Women's sizes very from manufacturer to manufacturer and are not as uniform as men's sizes.

Paging BW or BSL.

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 04:31:20 PM »
What all the guys said.

If you must a gift card to the store that has said belt.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 04:32:39 PM »
What all the guys said.

If you must a gift card to the store that has said belt.

I agree with charby...gift card to store that has said belt and it better have more money on it than just the belt's cost.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 05:29:42 PM »
There is only one kind of belt that would be satisfactory....a money belt, a full money belt.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 05:37:41 PM »
I have an uncanny ability to purchase clothing and shoes for my wife that fits.  She has uncanny ability to not be offended if it doesn't fit.
That said, girlfriend, right?

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TMM

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 05:42:55 PM »
well, there goes what i thought was a good idea. and this is a belt we're talking about here, something that can generally fit three or four sizes...

oh, by the way, she isn't the spa kind of person. not from what i've gathered, anyway.

tmm

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 06:23:50 PM »
I, being the brave and true risk manager who goes where angels fear to tread, will handle this.  Here are a few ideas for you to try:

A US size 12 waist generally runs 30-32 inches.  As mentioned, it can vary by manufacturer, but this is a good average.

The next time she is in the shower and cannot watch what you are doing, grab a pair of her favorite pants that use a belt.  Thread a fabric tape measure around through the belt loops and see what measurement you end up with.  If her pants don't have belt loops, run the tape measure around the waist at the approximate height of where a belt would go. If you don't have a fabric tape measure (a metal measuring tape is not flexible enough for this) run a piece of cord (detcord for the APS crowd) through the belt loops and cut the cord just at the point where it overlaps the beginning end of the cord centered at the front of the pants (where the top button goes). Measure the cord and you have the waist circumference in inches.  Correlate the measurement in inches to either the belt size in inches or with how the belt manufacturer lists S-M-L sizes.

Finally, if she already has belts, look to see if there is a size or inch measurement printed on the underside of the belt, usually either under the buckle end, but sometimes at the tip of the belt.

I have bought clothing for women for decades and I have done alright. Except for losing my hair in my early 20's, but I am not drawing a cause and effect here.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 07:06:50 PM »
Go to a lumber yard and pick up two 8 foot lengths of pole.

Cut 2 feet off one and epoxy this cut off piece to the end of the other 8 foot pole.

When the epoxy is cured, you will have a ten foot pole.

Use it to not touch this gift idea.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 07:32:51 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 07:30:12 PM »
This would be the same as buying her a Weight watchers gift certificate, diet pills or a bumper sticker that says "Does this belt make my hiney look big?"  See above for alternatives.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

TMM

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 07:39:44 PM »
lee, she does use rope! baling twine, actually, because metal buckles irritate her skin. i thought it would be a good idea to get her one of those buckle-less/leather covered buckle belts ("mechanics belts").

mill creek, thank you for your brave step into the world of potentially insulting your SO!

maybe i should just ask her if she's interested in this gift? takes away the surprise, but, i don't know. unless this is some other major faux pax that i didn't get a memo about?

tmm

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 08:28:37 PM »
I wouldn't know, I buy men's belts.  They don't look substantially different, at least the jeans-style ones that are the only belt I generally wear, and they have handy measurements written on the tags.

There is even less uniformity among s/m/l/xl in things like women's belts than there is for actual clothes.  And 12 is right in prime "touchy about her weight" territory--not a 6 or 8, which is what most non-fashionistas tend to think of as good, not 16/18+ and therefore if she owns a mirror she knows she's heavy. 

Run far.  Run fast.

Ftr, I'm delighted to be a size 12 and not at all touchy about my weight because I'm delighted to finally be under 160 and not overweight for the first time in years, but I still get annoyed when I get a gift that doesn't fit.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 08:32:08 PM »
12 is such a weird size.  She could be chunky, or just curvy.  But, like BW says, etither way, she knows she's a 12 and might not be happy about that.  Most wimmins want to be single sizes. 
Screwing up buying her a belt puts you in dangerous waters.
Too big..."Oh, you thought I was fatter than a 12?"
Too small...."Oh, I'm fat! You think I need to lose weight?"

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 09:38:38 PM »

i was thinking about ordering a special belt for my girlfriend for christmas...

That almost as bad an idea as redecorating a room for her....  :facepalm:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 09:53:34 PM »
They let women wear pants now?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 09:57:30 PM »
They let women wear pants now?  ???

Shoes, too.  =)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 10:03:22 PM »
lee, she does use rope! baling twine, actually, because metal buckles irritate her skin. i thought it would be a good idea to get her one of those buckle-less/leather covered buckle belts ("mechanics belts").
tmm

I wear a belt that is nylon webbing and velcro all around the front, highly adjustable and preferred when a buckle might irritate the skin and/or jam a flight control.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.