Author Topic: Won't Someone Think About The Endangered Pacific Northwest Tree Octopi?  (Read 4321 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/education/2011/02/tree-octopus-exposes-internet-illiteracy/

Researcher invents "tree octopus" and says it's endangered.  Creates fake website, gets it promoted in Google searches to be #1.

Interviews today's youth to have them research why it's endangered, and how to help it.

http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

The result?  Kids these days... :facepalm:  Evidently have zero critical analysis tools, and are very gullible.

Must be why globular warming is so worrisome, and that polar bear is gonna drown. 

And why most democrats have jobs.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Won't Someone Think About The Endangered Pacific Northwest Tree Octopi?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 10:36:19 PM »
Sorry. I heard that there were octopodes in the trees, and went and hid under my bed. What were you saying?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 10:44:58 PM »
This is just great! Here I've been spending all my time trying to save the Naugas, now I have another cause?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 10:48:09 PM »
It's endangered by dihydrogen monoxide contamination . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 10:49:18 PM »
This is just great! Here I've been spending all my time trying to save the Naugas, now I have another cause?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 11:24:14 PM »
When you are out hiking or snowshoeing in the woods up here, 'forest calamari' makes a tasty snack. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 01:16:03 AM »
That's Farkin' High-Larious,  I especially like the list of other endangered species listed at the bottom:  The Furbearing Trout, the Mountain Walrus, the Saber Tooth Salmon and the Manhatten Beach Mottled Roach.

I almost wet myself laughing so hard.

Oh and  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 01:36:54 AM »
On a camping trip to Nevada one year I had a couple of folks convinced of the existence of six-inch, black, swarming, jumping scorpions that were attracted by movement and body heat.

It was on the trip back that I explained the joke. Apparently I ruined a camping trip.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 01:58:14 AM »

In Dahlgren when our class was training with some officers we had an Australian officer instructing us and during a down time he told us about how in Australia sometimes the locals would tell the tourists that it wasn't animals like alligators that you had to look out for it was "drop bears". People would ask what a drop bear was and they would say that they sat up in trees and would drop down on you, so then you would have people that would jerk up and look in trees all nervous like.  :lol:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 05:16:44 AM »
Both laughed and cried.

More crying, though.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 07:38:52 AM »
I'm wondering when an idiot politician will introduce legislation to protect this endangered critter.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 07:41:53 AM »
Sauteed in a garlic and butter sauce?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 10:35:55 AM »
Nah.  Broiled. Suction cup edges just barely blackened in the flames.  Overlaid with nice, crisp bacon strips.  Hmmm-mmm good.  'N eyeball soup.  Yum!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:39:17 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 06:34:28 PM »
I'm wondering when an idiot politician will introduce legislation to protect this endangered critter.

It would have been priceless if he'd held off until something got passed, then announced the joke to every media outlet.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 07:28:16 PM »
It would have been priceless if he'd held off until something got passed, then announced the joke to every media outlet.

Who knows, it might happen yet.  The website denies the allegations of Professor Leu.

?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 10:17:13 AM »
That's Farkin' High-Larious,  I especially like the list of other endangered species listed at the bottom:  The Furbearing Trout, the Mountain Walrus, the Saber Tooth Salmon and the Manhatten Beach Mottled Roach.

I almost wet myself laughing so hard.

Oh and  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

You missed the best one! "The Rock Nest Monster".

Brilliant!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 05:26:04 PM »
I wonder if some of the gullibility on this is that some city kids have absolutely no clue when it comes to wildlife outside the city and likely have never been to a place where they couldn't see man made stuff somewhere around them.  All they know of life outside the city is what they read or see on TV. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 06:21:20 PM »
I wonder if some of the gullibility on this is that some city kids have absolutely no clue when it comes to wildlife outside the city and likely have never been to a place where they couldn't see man made stuff somewhere around them.  All they know of life outside the city is what they read or see on TV. 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33278616/ns/technology_and_science-science/

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 01:26:48 AM »

Probably the same ones who "banned" the "Homeboy Nyte-Sites".   =D
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 10:03:14 AM »
Antibubba took the words out of my mouth.  It was a Richmond, VA city councilman who got all upset about the Homeboy Nyte-Sites.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-gag.html
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 12:02:26 PM »
The result?  Kids these days... :facepalm:  Evidently have zero critical analysis tools, and are very gullible.

What do you expect from a school system that teaches kids to regurgitate spoon-fed "facts" onto a standardized test instead of teaching critical-thinking and problem-solving skills?....  :facepalm:

Nah.  Broiled. Suction cup edges just barely blackened in the flames.  Overlaid with nice, crisp bacon strips.  Hmmm-mmm good.  'N eyeball soup.  Yum!

If you have bacon, why do you need the octopus?....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 12:23:41 PM »
I wonder if some of the gullibility on this is that some city kids have absolutely no clue when it comes to wildlife outside the city   

You seem to think it's limited to kids.  Heck, approach any group of people these days, especially dreadlocks-and-soul-patch activitst types, and watch them work into a froth with a simple 'Ban DHMO' pamphlet.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 01:18:29 PM »
If you have bacon, why do you need the octopus?....  =|

I am thinking it could be an octopus rumaki.  Which I would actually eat in a heartbeat.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.