Author Topic: Women brandishes gun  (Read 5093 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Women brandishes gun
« on: May 16, 2011, 10:59:28 PM »
          http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2011/may/16/2/chesterfield-woman-charged-brandishing-gun-bus-sto-ar-1042915/

I can't figure out which is dumber:

Needing a gun to deal with some brats being bullies.
Or
Not realizing that she was going to get in trouble even if she had not drawn her gun.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Women brandishes gun
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:05:05 PM »
Code: [Select]
Shiquita
A good old Irish name ...  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 11:07:26 PM »
Is that Celtic for "Dumbass" by any chance?
 :facepalm:
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 01:32:36 PM »
“She took it out of the holster and did not point it at the children themselves but pointed it at the ground,” said Chesterfield police Capt. Russ Lescault. “And while she was pointing it at the ground, she made threats toward the students.”

Gun in holster, OC.

The kids say she took it out of the holster.

No mention in the story if the woman admits to taking it out of the holster.

Kids do lie, sometimes.

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to gun owners intelligent enough to actually own a holster.  There's a LOT out there that don't.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 02:34:46 PM »
She threatened children while in obvious possesion of a firearm.

I think that negates the props for her having a holster.

This is negetive PR for gun owners. I was watching Castle on the Richmond statiin and everytime they ran the add for the 10 pm news, it was with this story.

I question the intellegence of anyone who blantently reveals their chosen weapon soley for intimadatiin factors, especially when they do it in a way that will catch the public eye.

Plus, I belive that kids. If they were going to lie, they would have said she pointed a gun at them. Most people don't know the distinctions of brandishing charges, and they would have wanted her to get in trouble.
She wouldn't have been charged with brandishing had the pistol remained in her holster.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 04:02:41 PM »
Stupidity like that is the sort of thing the antis just LOVE to point to whenever a gun banning bill comes up.  Witness the attempt to ban open carry in California.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »
Code: [Select]
Shiquita
A good old Irish name ...  ;/

Is that Celtic for "Dumbass" by any chance?
 :facepalm:

The story is short on facts or details.

The first two posts align themselves with immediate prejudices.

For all we know, the middle school "angels" that were picking on this woman's daughter... threatened the woman and created a situation that made her feel a need to draw.

Middle-school kids can be a dangerous bunch nowadays.

BSL, got a vid link with more info?  All the rest of us have is the short news article with next to nothing in it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
Stupidity like that is the sort of thing the antis just LOVE to point to whenever a gun banning bill comes up.  Witness the attempt to ban open carry in California.

Quoted for truth.

AZ, if she was actually physically threatened, it would have been permisable to draw.
And under those circumstances, the daughter should have been behind her Momma dialing 911.

Although, if she truely felt that these children posed a threat to herself or her daughter, then she should have gone to the authorities, not to the bus stop with her gun on display.

This story illistrates pretty much every rotten sterotype of gun owners, from cocky wanna be badass to vigilatie type behavior.

And before you say it, yes, perhaps she had made formal complaints, maybe even called the cops, and nothing had been done.
But that doesn't mean dealing with herself  in this manner was very wise.

My thoughts on the matter of bulling and the authorities not doing anything is simple and pretty darn cheap and easy in this day and age.
Bug your smartphone and get it on tape.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 04:53:51 PM »
On it's surface, the story doesn't sound good - odds are the parent over-reacted.

Badly.

But we don't know for sure what form the bullying took, whether there was physical violence, verbal abuse, or whatever. Innocent until proven guilty and all . . . also note she was charged with misdemeanors.

With middle schoolers, it still sounds shaky . . . but unless more information is forthcoming, let's not get TOO vociferous in our condemnations.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 05:05:11 PM »
At a moment in time when bulling prevention is the cause de jour?

Yes, there is a possibility that she was dealing with some, as my family says, corn fed country boys. I remeber a few guys at my middle school who looked like gorrillas. Big, beefy redneck boys who were often dumb and biligerent.
My dad almost tangled with one for messing with me. Kid was twice my dads size.
But my dad never drew a gun (and in that time period, he would have probably had two to choose from)

I was bullied, bad, in middle school and my parents couldn't do much about it.
But right now, its an issue in the lime light, which gives parents more options.

But the kicker is, that women not only now has legel issues, but I have ten bucks that says her daughter is going to get it ten times worse now.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »
Let's not forget that middle schoolers are, more or less, slightly smaller, extremely unintelligent versions of adults.

From my time teaching 7th graders as part of my elective, I wouldn't put it past some of those morons to endanger the life of an adult.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 07:37:42 PM »
This story illistrates pretty much every rotten sterotype of gun owners, from cocky wanna be badass to vigilatie type behavior.

And they cant spell iether.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 07:45:20 PM »
And they cant spell iether.  :P

hahahaha.... You're so funny...  ;/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 09:03:43 AM »
So if the woman or her daughter have not admitted to anything, why do we believe a bunch of middle school kids? 

Also, what were the threats?  Did she threaten to spank them?  No mention of threats by the middle schoolers. 

I would agree that so far this is just hype and no facts or real information.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 02:31:55 PM »
One very significant part of the story would have been if the bull(ies) had advanced on her.

These sketchy stories appear so often, and the lack of details leads me to wonder if the stories are deliberately edited to leave out essential facts that would have been favorable to the <ahem> "perp." I know all about column-inch restrictions.

I've often thought it would be nice to have an RKBA "Truth Squad" in various localites to request actual police reports to add to the postings of these juicy little news items. Too often somebody has to add a plea for better details.

I agree that on the face of it, there were definitely better ways of handling the situation, even if open carry is an option in VA.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 03:33:07 PM »
A good old Irish name ...

Nope, us Irish are not claiming that name.

Her maiden name was Dole......
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 06:07:54 PM »
Nope, us Irish are not claiming that name.

Her maiden name was Dole......

Sarcasm - you may have heard of it  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 07:48:24 AM »
Hah! you missed my hidden sarcasm....Dole......banana.......Chiquita.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 11:31:06 AM »
Hah! you missed my hidden sarcasm....Dole......banana.......Chiquita.....

I figured that she was probably on the dole  :lol: