Author Topic: Won't someone think of the fragile widdle fwowers????  (Read 4640 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Won't someone think of the fragile widdle fwowers????
« on: April 15, 2016, 07:45:03 AM »
Ohio State is apparently the first university to show some testicular fortitude in dealing with these whiny little aholes.

They presented a list of demand, wanting the University's financial and investment portfolios opened to their inspection, with a related demand that the University provide experts to help the students understand the information...  :facepalm:

But this video is fantastic. Essentially an admin rep telling the students who are occupying the admin building:

1. The president of the University won't meet with you and won't accept your list of demands. FOAD.

2. Leave the building or you'll be arrested and expelled. FOAD.

Listening to some of the comments from the students are just funny as hell...

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/04/13/ohio-state-shuts-down-student-occupation-after-arrests-expulsion-threatened/
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Won't someone think of the fragile widdle fwowers????
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 07:57:34 AM »
 :rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 08:12:15 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 08:18:57 AM »
My alma mater.  I'm so proud!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 08:56:24 AM »
You know, at some of the really small colleges, I can understand why the universities don't just boot them right away.  School of 5,000 students, and you get 150 protesting, that's 2% of your students.  I'd say that's acceptable losses, but that's me.  And probably a lot of you.

At Ohio State, it's a different ball game.  There, 150 students is 0.3% of the student body.  The university has billions in endowments and holdings.  It probably makes more in licensed product sales than it does in tuition.  They can tell these 150 kids to go home, actually stand by that, and not even blink a financial eye at the loss of tuition dollars. 

Now, on for a rant.  On one hand, I'm glad to see young people care about more than themselves, and who want a better world.  But in cases like this, I'm wondering WTF.  School investments make money.  Money that is used to build better facilities, pay staff and faculty, and in the long run give students a better life at a lower cost.  Short of the school investing in child slave labor, maybe these students should get over themselves and actually worry about, of I don't know, going to class.  And, I also gotta say that I find it highly amusing that in addition to demanding financial records (which are public records under Ohio law...it is a public university), the idea that they are demanding the school pay them an expert to help them understand it all is funny as hell.  Can't walk their sorry butts over to the business school and find a student to help them read an investment portfolio?  Or maybe the students in the business school are too busy actually going to class to worry about this crap.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 09:02:37 AM »
Did it ever occur to anyone that these "affairs" (and other protests) are started by professional provocateurs who are, essentially, "training" the dupe groups for bigger and better disruptive efforts?

Or is that just my geriatric paranoia showing?

Heh-heh-hehhhh.

I believe they are politely called "community organizers."

Heh-heh-hehhhh again.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 09:47:36 AM »
I have an Idea.  Ohio State leaves the B1G, and joins the SEC, and Mizzou leaves the SEC, and joins the B1G.  It's a win/win.

In seriousness, this is how campus blackmail should be handled.  I hope university admins around the country went to school on this approach, and adopt it in its entirety.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 11:11:41 AM »
That's great! I actually think more University admins (even the very liberal ones) want to do this, but they don't want to be first. Maybe if a few more admins with some fortitude stand up, it will begin a big pushback.

Boomhauer should be happy re: Caterpillar.  :laugh:

What the hell did Caterpillar do wrong anyway? I know the kids want out of all mainstream energy providers, but if they want out of Cat, shouldn't they want out of all vehicle manufacturers? Plus how do they think the building they were standing in was built?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 11:54:50 AM »
The money quote from the article:  "We will give you the opportunity to go to jail for your beliefs." Ohio State Vice President Jay Kasey
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 12:19:04 PM »
We will give you the opportunity to go to jail for your beliefs.

Damn it, I forgot to call that one out! I just about choked on my iced tea when he dropped that!

But, thinking about this even more, I'm offended, no, MORTIFIED, that the administration didn't immediately knuckle in to all of their demands and flagellate themselves on the Campus Green at Dawn, Noon, and Dusk in penance.

What has this world come to...

I'm just wondering, though, how much of this reaction is driven by the legacy of the 1970 riots at OSU?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 12:39:47 PM »
...with a related demand that the University provide experts to help the students understand the information...  :facepalm:

I hope he recommended them to the Business School's course catalog.

The money quote from the article:  "We will give you the opportunity to go to jail for your beliefs." Ohio State Vice President Jay Kasey

I also like the part where he gave the University's list of demands.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 01:12:32 PM »
Land grant schools tend be a little more tough love then the liberal arts schools.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 01:41:24 PM »
"I also like the part where he gave the University's list of demands."

Those can be summarized as FOAD.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 01:43:46 PM »
They presented a list of demand, wanting the University's financial and investment portfolios opened to their inspection,

Uh...it's a state university; isn't most of that stuff pretty easily available anyway?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 01:46:50 PM »
Of course it is. But, that would like, mean, them having to take time out of their hugely important social warrior activities to actually go find it, and that's just absolutely unreasonable!

And besides, if the University provides it, the widdle fwowers can then claim that the University wasn't being forthcoming OR truthful, which means that they can call down MYSTIC SOCIAL WARRIOR JUSTICE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 01:59:10 PM »
Uh...it's a state university; isn't most of that stuff pretty easily available anyway?

Which leads into the students' potential job skills. I'm not sure I'd want to hire someone that can't/won't do a simple Google search, or at worst research for and submit the appropriate paperwork to access the data. I wonder if their moms come to school to cut the food on their plates for them?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 02:04:33 PM »
JESUS! YOU FREAKS DON'T UNDERSTAND!

A job where you actually can understand finance is a microaggression and is all hurty!

My advanced degree in the Sexual Ethnographics of Peruvian Throat Singing is socially just!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2016, 02:34:23 PM »
It's not just that they are asking for something that is public record and the other BS demands, it's that they don't go through the proper channels.

They go straight from THIS IS WHAT WE WANT NOW to staging physical protests, without even giving the people they are demanding these things a chance to know what they are demanding, much less think about it or respond. The protesters don't even give enough time to say "We'll look this over and get back to you." *

And that's what makes me want to start hitting (not that everything else they do doesn't make me want to smack them) They don't want to actually *DO* anything. They just want to be disruptive and stupid.

I also applaud the university for saying "GTFO or go to jail" but wish they had been more firm about it. I think the administrator gave them too much credit for "wanting to start a dialogue." Those brats don't want a dialogue. They don't even know what dialogue is.

*I based this assumption on the fact that the president of the university didn't even have a copy of the demands. For something to escalate to the point of a sit in and the president of the place doesn't know about it means those brats never bothered to go through proper channels or were legitimately shut down very early in the process.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
It's not just that they are asking for something that is public record and the other BS demands, it's that they don't go through the proper channels.

They go straight from THIS IS WHAT WE WANT NOW to staging physical protests, without even giving the people they are demanding these things a chance to know what they are demanding, much less think about it or respond. The protesters don't even give enough time to say "We'll look this over and get back to you." *

And that's what makes me want to start hitting (not that everything else they do doesn't make me want to smack them) They don't want to actually *DO* anything. They just want to be disruptive and stupid.

I also applaud the university for saying "GTFO or go to jail" but wish they had been more firm about it. I think the administrator gave them too much credit for "wanting to start a dialogue." Those brats don't want a dialogue. They don't even know what dialogue is.

*I based this assumption on the fact that the president of the university didn't even have a copy of the demands. For something to escalate to the point of a sit in and the president of the place doesn't know about it means those brats never bothered to go through proper channels or were legitimately shut down very early in the process.

The article also had this to say:

officials say they have talked many times with the leaders of the groups, and that the protesters just don't like the answer.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 02:41:51 PM »

The article also had this to say:

Missed it. I skimmed the article to get to the video.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
I see on the third page it mentions that they prevented food from being brought in to feed the protestors.  I like that move also. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2016, 04:38:12 PM »
Ohio State probably turns away qualified students every year because they don't have room.  I really doubt a expelling a few morons will hurt them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2016, 04:45:17 PM »
Ohio State probably turns away qualified students every year because they don't have room.  I really doubt a expelling a few morons will hurt them. 

I was kind of wishing he'd mention that.
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »
I see on the third page it mentions that they prevented food from being brought in to feed the protestors.  I like that move also. 

That's the claim. No one from the administration either admitted to it or denied so, so it's just one protestor, and lord knows that they would NEVER lie, right?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2016, 05:17:10 PM »
so it's just one protestor, and lord knows that they would NEVER lie, right?

Of course, why would they need to lie? They have righteousness on their side and that makes their word above reproach, like the songs of angels.  ;)

bob