Author Topic: General Motors and Segway advance green utopia  (Read 6401 times)

longeyes

• friend
General Motors and Segway advance green utopia
« on: April 07, 2009, 01:03:20 PM »
Who knew GM would get into the rickshaw business while China and India were getting into the car business?

Life is fascinating, especially in the New America.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10213863-54.html
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: General Motors and Segway advance green utopia
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 01:12:28 PM »
Who knew GM would get into the rickshaw business while China and India were getting into the car business?

Frightfully well said, longeyes! Thanks, eh?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 01:20:22 PM »
In an urban area, these might not be such a bad idea. The problem is a lot of people live more than 35 mile round trip from work. And we all know that the stated 35 mile range of the thing is going to end up being more like 20 miles in the real world.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 01:29:13 PM »
Why develop high-tech lawnmotor engines when we have so much "excess labor" that can be, well, harnessed?
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 01:33:14 PM »
In an urban area, these might not be such a bad idea. The problem is a lot of people live more than 35 mile round trip from work. And we all know that the stated 35 mile range of the thing is going to end up being more like 20 miles in the real world.

The range will probably be closer to 5 miles when the owners get through adding the stereo, air conditioners, GPS's, DVD players, 22" rims.....

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 01:33:45 PM »
I'm hoping that this is just a dog-and-pony show for Obama, and not something GM is seriously considering. GM should get into the motorcycle racket and paint that as 'going green.' They generally have good gas mileage, are easy to park, and have enough range to get you to work, to lunch, and back home again without worrying if you'll have enough charge to make it home.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 01:43:20 PM »
The ultimate green vehicle has already been invented.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 01:43:29 PM »
In the relatively small town I live in, you can get where you want to go at 35 MPH without getting run over.  However, of all the places I lived in Houston I can't remember a single one where anyone drove 35 MPH.  If you weren't going 45, you weren't keeping up at all.  That was true at least on all the main roads off the highways.  Back inside neighborhoods you could go that slow, but no where else.  

I noticed that is "up to" 35 MPH.  Not sure if that is sustained.

Is there even enough room in that thing for a brief case or computer bag?  Not with two people. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 01:46:55 PM »
In the relatively small town I live in, you can get where you want to go at 35 MPH without getting run over.  However, of all the places I lived in Houston I can't remember a single one where anyone drove 35 MPH.  If you weren't going 45, you weren't keeping up at all.  That was true at least on all the main roads off the highways.  Back inside neighborhoods you could go that slow, but no where else.  

Is there even enough room in that thing for a brief case or computer bag?

Most cities and towns have ignored light transportation, that's why.  For any "Green" light transportation to be useful on a large scale, entire city infrastructures will need to be rebuilt. 
Some cities have copius bike paths, bike lanes, and large sidewalks where many people use light transporation already, and that dinky little piece of crap would fit in nicely.  For the most part, its literally a case of putting the cart before the horse.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 02:00:16 PM »
I'm hoping that this is just a dog-and-pony show for Obama, and not something GM is seriously considering. GM should get into the motorcycle racket and paint that as 'going green.' They generally have good gas mileage, are easy to park, and have enough range to get you to work, to lunch, and back home again without worrying if you'll have enough charge to make it home.

Yes, but motorcycles promote individualism, and that's baaaaaad--didn't you see Easy Rider?

I think they are envisioning these things being run by some top-down network with GPS capabilities--cool, we will all have those chips installed in our behinds--so we can live in a perfect utopian beehive.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 02:02:34 PM »
They have to be installed in your behind.

The signals can't get through the tinfoil helmets.  ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 02:11:25 PM »
In some countries they issue RFID-chipped cards to be used as mass-transit tickets, that record every individual ride you take.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 03:12:18 PM »
That over sized wheel chair as well as the occupants would be utterly destroyed in an accident with even an average sized car. If their plan to become financially viable involves more products that will be bought only by the green fringe then GM is as good as dead.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 03:20:36 PM »
That over sized wheel chair as well as the occupants would be utterly destroyed in an accident with even an average sized car. If their plan to become financially viable involves more products that will be bought only by the green fringe then GM is as good as dead.

That was exactly what I thought when Obama started making demands on GM.

"They're going to force them to make "green" cars that no one will want to drive. GM will then fail unless the government forces us to purchase their products."

The second part of that statement is what scares me.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 03:45:03 PM »
"Imagine small, nimble electric vehicles that know where other moving objects are and avoid running into them."

Imagine people walking, or riding bicycles, that can see other moving objects and avoid running into them.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 04:05:09 PM »
Nobody is going to want that covered dual wheelchair.  What a complete waste of development money.  The Segway it's based on was supposed to be a huge breakthrough in personal transportation.  I have yet to see one, anywhere.

Oh, and here's a crash course in environmentalism:

This is not "green": 

This is: 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 04:08:19 PM »
Let's see . . . GM (with cars people won't buy) is teaming up with Segway (makers of hideously expensive electric scooters only government will buy) to come up with . . . a phone booth or porta-potty with wheels?  ;/

OK, OK, yes, people do buy GM cars and trucks - but not enough to make the company viable. And some Segways have been sold to private parties, but most are in the hands of governments, mall cops, etc. because of the stratospheric price.

But if THIS nonsense is the future of GM . . . let's shut the doors now and cut our losses.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 04:16:08 PM »
The Segway it's based on was supposed to be a huge breakthrough in personal transportation.  I have yet to see one, anywhere.
I saw one at the VA hospital. The VA cops had them. I was talking with one of them and he really liked it. It was standing there next to him upright but not moving. Like some kind of zombie.

I gather some postal carriers have them as well in lieu of some other vehicle for routes that have heavy loads.

I don't think there are any significant number of commuters using them.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 04:20:52 PM »
Hank, there are two GM vehicles in my driveway, and another in my garage.

How big a paint brush do you really intend to use in your analogy?   :|

(IOW, people aren't buying new cars, period, whether they're GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc)

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 04:26:27 PM »

Perhaps he just needed to elaborate.  GM has come out with some very nicely designed, engineered, and built vehicles in the last few years.  They still have some lingering models that are dismal.  The problem is, that while GM may have finally gotten its act together, it may be too little, too late.

I prefer GM full size pickup trucks for their civility, driving dynamics and properly laid-out instrumentation, but my '05 Silverado has had waaay too many problems for a four year old vehicle, and the interior looks like it was molded by Playskool or Little Tykes.  I look forward to trading it in on one of their new generation trucks this year, which is immeasurably better.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 04:39:03 PM »
You take the good with the bad.

Hopefully the bad just plain disappears and goes away, like the butt-ugly Pontiac Aztec.

(Which I have honestly wanted to find a specimen of in good shape, a useful Edsel of sorts...)

I couldn't stand the Canyon/Colorado, oriental-looking front ends, crappy fuel mileage, blase' interior plastic, etc.  So I stayed with my '01 S-10 for a few years longer.

I just bought Wife #2 a new Jeep Liberty last year.  Cool vehicle, real frame, honest 4x4 underneath the cute exterior, and all that.  As for the Patriot and Compass?  You couldn't pay me to buy one of those. Chrysler needs a kick in the slats for dreaming those up.

Ford F-150s and larger ought to come in yellow, with big black "Tonka" stencils applied.  They're still relatively popular, so maybe that'll carry them through these tough times now that they've axed the Ranger series.

My "big" truck is the '53 Chevy 3/4 ton in the garage.  Heavy iron, as it were.  =D

All of the Detroit Big Three are having to undergo major gyrations to survive now.  Before it's over, one will be amazed at what deals, mergers, concessions, and just plain goofy stuff emerge from the mix.  Personally, I'd rather take chances on my Harley than ride around in that two-seat electric wheelchair pictured above.  At least I can out-maneuver a cager heading my way on the bike...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:42:35 PM by Gewehr98 »

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 05:31:46 PM »
Ford F-150s and larger ought to come in yellow, with big black "Tonka" stencils applied.  They're still relatively popular, so maybe that'll carry them through these tough times now that they've axed the Ranger series.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 05:50:58 PM »
^^^ The new F-150 is a really nice, refined vehicle.  I wish one would suit my needs.  I'll be buying a new truck this year, and it will be a Chevy or GMC 2500HD.  I would prefer it to be a Ford, since GM has arguably been nationalized and Ford is really the only private US automaker now. 

Unfortunately, that crude, oversized, ergonomically defunct, lumbering dinosaur known as the F Sooper Doody is what I would need.   I'm not spending $34,000 on something I loathe.  =|
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:18:10 PM by Declaration Day »

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 06:09:02 PM »

(IOW, people aren't buying new cars, period, whether they're GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc)
Don't jump on the man for speaking the truth.  Hank is exactly right about people aren't buying enough GM's to keep the company viable.  This trend is only going to worsen with the direction GM is now headed in.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 06:49:29 PM »
And what does that mean for Chrysler, then?

People aren't buying enough of those vehicles to keep them in the black, either.

Ford was just smart enough not to ask for a handout while they scurry in the background...