Author Topic: Freedom of Information Act request seeks 'basis' for 'Extremists' report  (Read 3758 times)

Desertdog

• friends
At least somebody is going for the truth in this stupid "assessment."

Why call Americans 'extremists?' DHS asked
Freedom of Information Act request seeks 'basis' for report

The Thomas More Law Center of Ann Arbor, Mich., says it has filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the Department of Homeland Security demanding why it calls Americans who oppose abortion, support 2nd Amendment gun rights and dislike lax immigration law enforcement "extremists."

"This is not an intelligence report but a diatribe against those who oppose the policies of the Obama administration," said Richard Thompson, president and chief counsel for the organization.

"It is a declaration of war against the American people and our constitution. It is a prelude to extreme gun control legislation and hate speech laws targeting Christian churches and others who oppose abortion and same sex marriage," he continued. "The federal government should be focusing its attention on the 35 radical Muslim compounds in the U.S. training its followers on how to kidnap and kill Americans."

The report had been unveiled earlier by talk-radio host and WND columnist Roger Hedgecock.

WND reported the DHS's report had alerted police across the nation to watch out for those who may have anti-abortion bumper stickers, claim the 2nd Amendment right of personal possession of weapons or express loyalty to U.S. Rep. Ron Paul or third-party political candidates.

The Law Center's request seeks the "basis" for the "assessment."

The report, called "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment," specifically singled out military veterans as vulnerable to rightwing extremism.

Final part of story is at;
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=95149

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Funny.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
According to this article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090416/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/napolitano_right_wing_extremists_9
the report was classified "For Official Use Only" (FOUO).

That is used for three purposes:
1. To protect proprietary data from companies that work with gov't.
2. Protect sensitive data that is not classified from being subject to FOI requests.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
He could tell us number 3, but then he'd have to kill us. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
He could tell us number 3, but then he'd have to kill us. 

We seem to have a lot of spooks on this board....makes me wonder just where DHS got their info for this report....

Maybe all this ruckus IS fistful's fault.....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
While they are at it, can they find out why we have DHS? =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

MicroBalrog

• friend
While they are at it, can they find out why we have DHS? =D

Have you not learned it in law school? Government agencies never go away.

Realism police >>>>>> :police:
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
DHS=>Department of Bureaucratic Security. =D

Humor Police=> :police:
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

ronnyreagan

This report doesn't deviate from the 2005 FBI terrorism report that much, and I'd say you could easily find a basis for it in that.

The terrorism preventions for 2002 through 2005 present a more diverse threat picture. Eight of the 14 recorded terrorism preventions stemmed from right-wing extremism, and included disruptions to plotting by individuals involved with the militia, white supremacist, constitutionalist and tax protestor, and anti-abortion movements
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

grampster

• friend
In the interest of the "Fairness Doctrine" when can we expect the release of the report on the dangers of left wing extremism?   :rolleyes:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

ronnyreagan

In the interest of the "Fairness Doctrine" when can we expect the release of the report on the dangers of left wing extremism?   :rolleyes:

Already done.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Already done.

Huh.

Funny how that one lists specific groups and tactics. Also paints the "leftwing extremists" as nice protestors who aren't interested in hurting anyone. (I.e. interested in "Cyber-attacks" on "economic assets")

As opposed to the other one with broad generalizations, no specific groups or tactics. Just "Watch out for those Right-wingers!" Then it lists what POLITICAL VIEWS will denote right-wing extremists.

Oh yeah. They're definitely just looking out for terrorism. I can't find bias in these reports at all.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

buzz_knox

• friend
The report on lefties is a bit disingenous, if not fraudulent.  It describes their "no harm" doctrine, and ignores the fact that many of the left-wing groups do not follow this doctrine, including those that engage in tree-spiking, installing road hazards in logging areas, committing arson, etc.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
+1 mak.

Also, the generalization that them rightwingers are all likely to be lone wolf single man terrorist cells is quite convenient.  Allows for picking up any old forum troll (or similar disgruntled non-Obamite) and shipping him to gitmo rather than a day in court for unjustified arrest and detention.

I hope this FOIA is successful.  I want to see Napolitano eat crow on this (and in everything else she does as "Homeland Czar").
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

ronnyreagan

Funny how that one lists specific groups and tactics. Also paints the "leftwing extremists" as nice protestors who aren't interested in hurting anyone. (I.e. interested in "Cyber-attacks" on "economic assets")

Which yet again mirrors the 2005 report.
In contrast to the ALF and the ELF, which have pursued a philosophy that avoids physical violence in favor of acts of property damage that cause their victims economic harm, right-wing extremists pursued a qualitatively different method of operation by targeting people.

I can't claim to be an expert on this topic or anything so I can't say much as to how accurate these are, but I can see that it's nothing new. I guess you could argue that the older reports were biased too.

ronnyreagan

Also, the generalization that them rightwingers are all likely to be lone wolf single man terrorist cells is quite convenient.

It doesn't say they are "all likely" to be lone wolves, it says those lone wolves are likely the most dangerous and difficult to stop.
And again it's old news. From the 2005 report:

The bombings in Oklahoma City, Atlanta, and Birmingham also brought an awareness of a new type of threat from those who may be sympathetic to extreme political or social ideologies, but who commit acts of violence outside of the auspices of structured terrorist organizations or without the prior approval or knowledge of these groups’ leaders.The roles of McVeigh and Nichols in the Oklahoma City bombing, and the bombings by Rudolph, exemplify the FBI’s “lone offender” category of terrorist for those who engage in terrorist activities free from organizational guidance.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
It doesn't say they are "all likely" to be lone wolves, it says those lone wolves are likely the most dangerous and difficult to stop.
And again it's old news. From the 2005 report:

But... funny how that muslim kid on the east coast that drove his SUV through the cafeteria of his school wasn't an Islamic terrorist, or the one at the Salt Lake City mall with the shotgun (also muslim) wasn't an Islamic terrorist, or Malvo wasn't an Islamic terrorist...

But those right wing criminals can be called terrorists.  That's just peachy. =|
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
The DHS report was a litany of Establishment fears, certainly not a presentation of hard investigative facts with police relevance.

Some might call it a confession of their sins; they know in their hearts to whom they have given offense and whom they despise.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 01:42:54 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Standing Wolf

• friend
The DHS report was a litany of Establishment fears...

Nailed it again, longeyes.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

longeyes

• friend
It is only natural that a paranoia collective, which is what "the Establishment" appears to be becoming, would fear, most of all, "the lone wolf."

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
I still think the "report" reads like a screed from the Southern Poverty Law Center and its front man Morris Dees.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I still think the "report" reads like a screed from the Southern Poverty Law Center and its front man Morris Dees.

Which it is, since the SPLC is the unnamed watchdog group it goes to some length not to name.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton