Author Topic: Legal implication of DOJ NOT appealing Courts EPA Ruling on Parks?  (Read 1483 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Is there one?

Obviously the Administration wants to let the Court-ordered environmental impact ruling say "guns are bad m'kay".

Is there a legal obligation for the DOJ to defend the properly placed change to DOI policy against the Courts requirement?  To appeal the judge's stay?

I presume they chose not to appeal to get it out of the Courts, which might apply Heller at some point, and back into the agencies they now control.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: Legal implication of DOJ NOT appealing Courts EPA Ruling on Parks?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 08:39:47 PM »
The way things work in the real world is the Brady Bunch and the administration found a tame judge who would rule as they wished. Then they can blame it on the judge. The judge will get a promotion to a higher court in a year or two.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:57:20 PM »
Yeah, I'm familiar with the real world, but that wasn't my question.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

HallMonitor

National Parks ban returns
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 12:16:03 PM »
Legislating from the bench, U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly struck down national parks carry, under the guise of environmental impact.

The Obama administration will not appeal the court's finding. Go figure.

Interesting this opinion was rendered a month ago, and yesterday is the first time that any newspapers have printed the story.

http://dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/national_world/stories/2009/04/18/Guns_in_parks.ART_ART_04-18-09_A5_57DJFLP.html?sid=101

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 01:22:50 PM »
Merged HallMonitor's thread into the topic that already discusses the subject at hand.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"