Author Topic: Possibly the best $ 12 multi-tool that you will ever buy  (Read 1090 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Possibly the best $ 12 multi-tool that you will ever buy
« on: June 21, 2021, 11:31:56 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089GFJGQX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1IGLNGXI31LA3&psc=1

I am a bit of a multi-tool collector, owning about 20+ models of various Leatherman, Gerber, SOG, Victorinox, Ganzo, and various other companies.  I read about the tool linked above and bought it on a whim, thinking that even if it wasn't very good, I would only be out $ 12, and I could keep it in my office for emergencies. For my particular use, I was looking for another tool with scissors and a pocket clip.

I received it today and holy moly, this item is punching above its weight.  It is not to the level of an expensive Leatherman or Victorinox, but it is right up there with Gerber or SOG.  Surprisingly high fit and finish, the tools all lock, it has a stainless pocket clip, the knife blade is sharp, the tools do not have play or wiggle when they are deployed, and it is reasonably compact.  I am going to buy a few more and put them in the cars, bug out bag, etc.  Read the reviews and see for yourself.  The one downside is that the sheath is nothing to write home about, but I am more prone to use the pocket clip these days.

If you know of a better multi tool at this price level, please let us know.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Possibly the best $ 12 multi-tool that you will ever buy
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 07:51:15 AM »
Maybe I'm the oulier here, but I've never found multitools to be particularly useful...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 08:17:14 AM »
Based on your review, for twelve ducats, I stuck it in my shopping cart. I find multi-tools handy for the rucksack, travel, and center console on the vehicles.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 09:01:08 AM »
Maybe I'm the oulier here, but I've never found multitools to be particularly useful...

I use the one in my range bag quite often.  Mostly use it to pliers to pull stuck staples out of my staple gun.  Been happening a lot lately when I hang targets.  I have used the knife and screw driver attachments very seldom.  It appears this one locks the blade and such when they are deployed.  Some don't. 

In reality, a small set of pliers would be just as useful for me.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 09:52:56 AM »
Agreed, except when the alternative is nothing.  Then they are awful darn handy.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 09:56:40 AM »
Agreed, except when the alternative is nothing.  Then they are awful darn handy.

This is how I look at them. Right tool for the right job, unless I don't have any tools handy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 10:23:13 AM »
Based on your review, for twelve ducats, I stuck it in my shopping cart. I find multi-tools handy for the rucksack, travel, and center console on the vehicles.

You know, that's probably not a bad idea, something that I'd never considered before. I keep some tools in my Forester, but they have a habit of migrating elsewhere over time. Keeping one of those in the console may not be such a bad idea.

"It appears this one locks the blade and such when they are deployed.  Some don't."

Another reason why I never had much use for multitools. The one I did have didn't have a blade lock. I folded the blade over while cutting something once (not sure how I did it) and cut the hell out of my fingers.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 10:23:32 AM »
Any product on Amazon with a fly by night sounding company name and bullet-pointed product highlight list is a ChiCom product.  Double-plus obvious when the written descriptions in the bullet points make no sense.

This one checks all of those boxes.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 10:30:44 AM »
Any product on Amazon with a fly by night sounding company name and bullet-pointed product highlight list is a ChiCom product.  Double-plus obvious when the written descriptions in the bullet points make no sense.

This one checks all of those boxes.
Of course, so are essentially all the budget multitools.  Or budget tools in general.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 10:54:21 AM by cordex »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 10:34:52 AM »
OK, bought one to keep in the Forester. Also solved my rechargeable flashlight quandary by buying a two bay USB charging block for the batteries, which I will also keep in the car.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 10:51:13 AM »
https://slate.com/technology/2020/10/amazon-brand-names-pukemark-demonlick-china.html

In terms of the multi-tool, I saw several other very similar brands and models, which makes me wonder if they are all coming out of the same PRC factory.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 04:44:59 PM »

Except for pliers, I'd much rather have my Swiss Army Knife.  (If they only made the Soldatenmesser with scissors...)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 04:51:39 PM »

Except for pliers, I'd much rather have my Swiss Army Knife.  (If they only made the Soldatenmesser with scissors...)
The pliers are the most valuable part of a multitool.  I carry a pocket knife.  The only thing I wish they would do is put more/better screw driver options instead of some of the common and more useless items.  I don't need a saw or a bottle opener. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 06:07:23 PM »
"I don't need a saw or a bottle opener."

Until you do.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 06:32:14 PM »
Some years ago, I made an effort to keep track of multi tool components that I used most frequently.  In order, they were scissors, flat screwdriver, Philips screwdriver, pliers, knife and bottle opener.  Things like a bit driver, can opener, file or a saw I use only rarely.

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2021, 06:33:16 PM »
They had me at "Touchable conscience design".
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2021, 07:59:26 AM »
Mine came yesterday. I've not messed with it much, but my observations so far are that it's not a bad piece of kit for $12.

It's sturdy, hefty and very solid feeling. The lock feature for the tools is very nice (and easy to use). As I mentioned below with another tool I folded the knife onto my fingers while using it and cut myself pretty badly. That shouldn't happen with this one.

The one thing I see is that it might be kind of difficult to get to the smaller tools like the screwdrivers.

I'm going to toss it into the center console and keep it as a car tool.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2021, 02:46:13 PM »
I bought one.  Definitely impressive for the price.

The straight edge and serrated blades have a pretty rough bevel and a nasty burr that I'll need to clean up, but nothing that can't be corrected.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2021, 03:02:50 PM »
Mine came yesterday. Yeah, for only twelve ducats, it is well-made.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2021, 03:33:41 PM »
I have my Leatherman Blast that I got YEARS ago and I love it. I also have a Winchester knock off that's pretty good but my Leatherman was $50 - $60 when we bought it as I recall.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2021, 10:53:06 PM »
Mine came yesterday. Yeah, for only twelve ducats, it is well-made.

I ordered one and it came today.  It's going to live in my car.  Yea,  it is well made for the price.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2021, 03:24:34 PM »
I had a single hand opening Gerber for a couple years, carried that thing everywhere, everyday.  There was rarely a day I didn't use it for something.

Lost it through carelessness.  Picked up a $30 Gerber at Walmart as a replacement - do not like it.  Takes both hands and a twist of the wrists to open the damn thing.

I ordered another Gerber day before yesterday, this time making sure it's a single hand opener.  I couldn't find an exact replacement for the old one (didn't/don't have the model no.), this replacement has what I used most - scissors, knife and of course pliers.  It also has a replaceable saw blade, by the pics it looks like a jig saw blade.  It left the shipping center in CO this morning, hope to have in my grubby paws by Tues.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2021, 05:53:15 PM »
Okay - Mine came today.

I wasn't expecting much - I have a Leatherman Wave and a Skeletool...

I was pleasantly surprised. I may give some to some of my guys at work.
Blog under construction

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2021, 10:21:18 PM »
I had a similar one several years ago.  I left it in my dop kit by mistake the the filthy thieves at TSA stole it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw