Author Topic: Microsoft is going to stick it to us again  (Read 3081 times)

Phyphor

• friend
Re: Microsoft is going to stick it to us again
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2021, 11:37:08 PM »
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2021, 11:44:49 PM »
Wonderful.

NONE of my computers (CPUs) make the list.

It's still in beta and if the past is any guide a lot will more than likely change between now and launch. Even if nothing does you still have years before you have to worry about it.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2021, 12:42:11 AM »

Since I use my desktop for program launch icons rather than for documents, I can't tell you how often I long for being able to group certain programs in their own little boxes.

BRING BACK WFW 3.11!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 05:10:44 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2021, 10:21:32 AM »
You don't just create folders for those icons on your desktop?
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2021, 11:00:02 AM »
You can create folders in the start menu popup by just dropping one icon on top of another and it creates a folder you can name. I group my office programs, games, etc.. that way.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2021, 03:33:02 PM »
You can create folders in the start menu popup by just dropping one icon on top of another and it creates a folder you can name. I group my office programs, games, etc.. that way.

I didn't know that was possible.

What is this "Start menu popup" of which you speak? I have a desktop. It's full of individual program icons.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2021, 03:57:48 PM »

What is this "Start menu popup" of which you speak? I have a desktop. It's full of individual program icons.

Left-click the little Windows icon in the corner of the taskbar.  There's probably other ways to get there; the Windows key plus 'X' gets you to the right-click start menu, and I don't know all the keyboard shortcuts.
"It's good, though..."

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2021, 04:40:48 PM »

If you want to have your icons on your desktop organized, you can right click a clear spot on your desktop and select "New Folder."

Name it what you wish and drag and drop the appropriate program icons there.

As for the Start Menu, yeah, it's in the lower left corner.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2021, 05:00:22 PM »
I know where the start button is. Clicking my start button doesn't pop up any folders, it brings up a listing of programs and apps.

[Edit] Just tried your desktop folder trick. It works -- sort of -- but I don't like it, and it's not at all the same as having program groups like in WFW 3.11. Yes, I could create a new folder, and I was able to drag some icons into it. Bu then when I clicked on the new folder, it didn't open a program group window -- it opened File Manager. The program icons were in there -- after I modified the settings to show other than "Details," which is my preferred and default setting for all folders. But "large" icons are too small, and 'Extra large" icons are just small icons in a larger square, white box.

In fact, I mis-stated when I said I didn't know about this trick. Once I did it, I remembered that I tried it several years ago. I didn't like it any better then than I do now. The new, sample folder has been deleted and my desktop has been restored to the way it was.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 05:12:36 PM by Hawkmoon »

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2021, 05:33:43 PM »
Maybe computers and you just don't belong in the same room.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2021, 10:09:40 AM »
Turns out my main desktop which is only a 5 year old build is TPM 1.0 so according to current 11 requirements, TPM 2.0, it can't run 11.
Oh well, they may change that requirement and if they don't I got 4 years to worry about it. Been eye balling a new CPU and motherboard anyway.

Well duh! TPM was turned off in the desktop's UEFI and it now says 2.0. The 1.0 bit above came from the MB's docs which appears to contain a typo. But since I have a 6th gen i5 I'm still screwed.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 10:24:46 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2021, 10:13:45 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2021, 11:06:41 AM »
Coworker's messing with it now.

right click start button, still pulls up a tech menu.  Control panel is still there.  "Terminal" app is powershell. 

He's liking it so far.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2021, 11:25:53 AM »
Coworker's messing with it now.

right click start button, still pulls up a tech menu.  Control panel is still there.  "Terminal" app is powershell. 

He's liking it so far.

I've installed it on a spare workstation.  The interface is a little different, but overall I like it.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.