Author Topic: Michigan Supreme Court pushes in feces of unethical municipalities  (Read 985 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Short version...

A poorly-written Michigan law allowed government entities to foreclose on homes for unpaid taxes, then keep the overage from sale even after the delinquent tax debt was satisfied. The case which ended up before the Michigan Supreme Court was for a delinquent tax debt of eight dollars. A guy lost his house because he underpaid his taxes by eight bucks.

Apparently the practice was rampant and many municipalities were realizing tens, if not hundreds, of millions from the scheme. Now that it's been struck down as unconstitutional and the stage set for those affected in the past to sue for remuneration, govt officials are losing their minds on how to make it happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ9IorV-zgE

Shorter version... govts used a flimsy technicality of the law as an underhanded way to fund their coffers via the unethical retention of proceeds realized from the seizure and sale private property. They got their *expletive deleted*it pushed in by the Michigan Supreme Court and are now turning on each other figuring out how to dig out of the hole they intentionally created.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Michigan Supreme Court pushes in feces of unethical municipalities
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 03:51:03 PM »
Good.  Sounds like at least a few judges are doing what judges are supposed to do.  Sounds like an organized crime racket.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 04:38:29 PM »
My guess?

It will be appealed to Diana and the Supremes and John Roberts will cast the deciding vote on letting this travesty of justice continue.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 04:45:13 PM »
My guess?

It will be appealed to Diana and the Supremes and John Roberts will cast the deciding vote on letting this travesty of justice continue.

Yeah, had the same thought here.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 06:33:04 PM »
I agree with an appeal happening and SCOTUS siding with Goobermint.  Many years ago I appealed my property taxes all the way to the Michigan Tax Tribunal.  I had quite a bit of hard evidence showing that the city was not following the law, that their appraising process was arbitrary and capricious.  At the local level of my appeal, they even admitted to me they were not following the law and admitted it again to the Michigan Tax Tribunal.  Their excuse was they didn't have the time or personnel to follow the law in the way they were required to in appraising home values.  The Michigan Tax Tribunal ruled against me.  They felt safe in doing that because my next step would have to be the hiring an attorney and filing a lawsuit.  I didn't have the resources to do that and they knew it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 07:15:36 PM »
I agree with an appeal happening and SCOTUS siding with Goobermint.  Many years ago I appealed my property taxes all the way to the Michigan Tax Tribunal.  I had quite a bit of hard evidence showing that the city was not following the law, that their appraising process was arbitrary and capricious.  At the local level of my appeal, they even admitted to me they were not following the law and admitted it again to the Michigan Tax Tribunal.  Their excuse was they didn't have the time or personnel to follow the law in the way they were required to in appraising home values.  The Michigan Tax Tribunal ruled against me.  They felt safe in doing that because my next step would have to be the hiring an attorney and filing a lawsuit.  I didn't have the resources to do that and they knew it.

Stop complaining tax slave, you should be happy they deigned to let you keep anything.  [/bitter sarcasm]

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 08:26:36 PM »
Good.  Sounds like at least a few judges are doing what judges are supposed to do.  Sounds like an organized crime racket

This is not the first time someone has made this observation.

Nor will it be the last.

I agree with an appeal happening and SCOTUS siding with Goobermint.

Their excuse was they didn't have the time or personnel to follow the law in the way they were required to in appraising home values.  The Michigan Tax Tribunal ruled against me.  They felt safe in doing that because my next step would have to be the hiring an attorney and filing a lawsuit.   I didn't have the resources to do that and they knew it.

This is not the first time someone has made this observation.

Nor will it be the last.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.