Author Topic: Steve Fossett's ID and Cash Found Outside Mammoth Lakes, CA  (Read 13084 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Steve Fossett's ID and Cash Found Outside Mammoth Lakes, CA
« on: October 01, 2008, 05:45:30 PM »
This is kind of weird -- they found his ID and $1000 in cash, but no wreckage or other signs indicating he crashed here:

----------

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081002/ap_on_re_us/fossett_search_18

Pilot's license found in Calif. may be Fossett's

By TRACIE CONE and JULIANA BARBASSA, Associated Press Writers1 hour, 38 minutes ago

A hiker in a rugged part of eastern California found a pilot's license and other items that appear to belong to Steve Fossett, the adventurer who vanished on a solo flight in a borrowed plane more than a year ago, authorities said Wednesday.

The information on the pilot license  including Fossett's name, address, date of birth and certificate number  was sent in a photograph to the Federal Aviation Administration, and all matched the agency's records, spokesman Ian Gregor said.

"We're trying to determine the authenticity of the document," Gregor said.

The hiker, Preston Morrow, said he found an FAA identity card, a pilot's license, a third ID and $1,005 in cash tangled in a bush off a trail just west of the town of Mammoth Lakes on Monday. He said he turned the items over to local police Wednesday after unsuccessful attempts to contact Fossett's family.

Mammoth Lakes police investigator Crystal Schafer confirmed that the department had the items, including the ones bearing Fossett's name.

Search teams led by the Madera County Sheriff's Department have been sent to the scene, and an air and ground effort was expected to be under way soon, said sheriff's spokeswoman Erica Stuart.

Morrow said he found no sign of a plane or any human remains.

Fossett, whose exploits included circumnavigating the globe in a balloon, disappeared Sept. 3, 2007, after taking off in a single-engine plane borrowed from a Nevada ranch owned by hotel magnate Barron Hilton. A judge declared Fossett legally dead in February following a search for the famed aviator that covered 20,000 square miles.

Fossett's widow, Peggy, said in a statement Wednesday that she was aware of Morrow's discovery and that authorities were going to the site.

"I am hopeful that this search will locate the crash site and my husband's remains," she said. "I am grateful to all of those involved in this effort."

Aviators had flown over Mammoth Lakes, about 90 miles south of the ranch, in the search for Fossett, but it had not been considered a likely place to find the plane. The most intense searching was concentrated to the north of the town, given what searchers knew about sightings of Fossett's plane, his plans for when he had intended to return and the amount of fuel he had in the plane.

Morrow, 43, who works in a Mammoth Lakes sporting goods store, said he initially didn't know who Fossett was. It wasn't until he showed the items to co-workers Tuesday that one of them recognized Fossett's name.

"It was just weird to find that much money in the backcountry, and the IDs," he said. "My immediate thought was it was a hiker or backpacker's stuff, and a bear got to the stuff and took it away to look for food or whatever."

Morrow said he returned to the scene with his wife and three friends Tuesday to search further and did not find any airplane wreckage or human remains. They did find a black Nautica pullover fleece, size XL, in the same area, but he said he wasn't sure if the items were related.

Morrow said he consulted local attorney David Baumwohl, and they initially tried to contact the Fossett family but were unable to get through to their lawyers.

"We figured if it was us, we'd want to know first. We wouldn't want to learn from the news," Baumwohl said.

Baumwohl and Morrow tried to contact the law firm that handled the death declaration. When they weren't successful, they decided to turn everything over to the police, the attorney said.

Mammoth Lakes is at an elevation of more than 7,800 feet on the eastern flank of the Sierra Nevada, where peaks top 13,000 feet. This year's biggest search for Fossett focused on Nevada's Wassuk Range, more than 50 miles north of Mammoth Lakes. That search ended last month.

The California Civil Air Patrol and private planes from Hilton's ranch previously had flown over the area, but it was "extremely rough country," said Joe Sanford, undersheriff in Lyon County, Nev., which was involved in the initial search.

One of Fossett's friends reacted to Wednesday's news with cautious optimism.

If the belongings turn out to be authentic, then that could help narrow the search area for possible wreckage, said Ray Arvidson, a scientist at Washington University who worked on Fossett's past balloon flights.

"It would be nice to get closure," Arvidson said.

Fossett made a fortune trading futures and options on Chicago markets. He gained worldwide fame for more than 100 attempts and successes in setting records in high-tech balloons, gliders, jets and boats. In 2002, he became the first person to circle the world solo in a balloon. He was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame in July 2007.

He also swam the English Channel, completed an Ironman Triathlon, competed in the Iditarod dog sled race and climbed some of the world's best-known peaks, including the Matterhorn in Switzerland and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Steve Fossett's ID and Cash Found Outside Mammoth Lakes, CA
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 06:23:19 PM »
Wow, it will be interesting to see how this develops.  Could these items have been blown away from a crash site, or carried off by scavengers?  You would think a wallet would have been found nearby, assuming these items were carried in a wallet.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 06:29:22 PM »
That's a LONG way from where he was supposed to be.  OTOH, it gives me hope that he isn't dead, and is just in line at the DMV.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 07:28:32 PM »
I would have found the licenses and $5 in cash.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 08:49:34 PM »
Kind of sounds like this guy might of simply wanted to disappear.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 08:58:31 PM »
I heard some idle speculation about him having faked his death.  I can't remember why they said he would have done that.  Debt, maybe? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 08:59:09 PM »
Updated...

CNN is reporting that wreckage now appears visible from the air.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/02/fossett.search.ap/index.html

MAMMOTH FALLS, California (AP) -- Authorities say search teams looking for any sign of wealthy adventurer Steve Fossett, who vanished on a solo flight more than a year ago, have spotted what appears to be wreckage from the air.
Steve Fossett, seen here with his wife, Peggy, disappeared after a solo flight in 2007.

Madera County, California, sheriff's spokeswoman Erica Stuart would not reveal the exact location of the reported aerial sighting and declined to provide any more information. Authorities had said searchers were combing a 10-mile radius around the place where a hiker had found what appeared to be items belonging to Fossett this week.

She says a ground search team will follow up with the possible wreckage site Thursday morning.

Hiker Preston Morrow says he found three identification cards with Fossett's name and about $1000 in cash Monday tangled in a bush just west of the town of Mammoth Lakes. He turned them into police Wednesday. Video Watch police chief describe hiker's discovery ?

Federal Aviation Administration officials say they are trying to determine whether the ID cards are authentic.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 09:08:44 PM »
So it is looking like they somehow missed it rolleyes I thought they searched high and low. Explain.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 09:11:44 PM »
So it is looking like they somehow missed it rolleyes I thought they searched high and low. Explain.

Looks like that site was somewhat outside of their search area, and hence wasn't searched as carefully.

From the article:

Aviators had flown over Mammoth Lakes, about 90 miles south of the ranch, in the search for Fossett, but it had not been considered a likely place to find the plane. The most intense searching was concentrated to the north of the town, given what searchers knew about sightings of Fossett's plane, his plans for when he had intended to return and the amount of fuel he had in the plane.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 09:29:53 PM »
Explain.

No.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 09:32:08 PM »
They searched his probable flight path, and I'd wager it was based on his filed flight plan.

Mammoth Lakes probably wasn't in that corridor, and with limited time, personnel, and funds, they didn't expand the search past that.

"Never attribute to malice..."

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 09:33:34 PM »
Why didn't they search in a radius around his flight range. By sat. photo so they didn't need boots on the ground.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
Flight Plan?
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 09:37:47 PM »
As I recollect, there was no flight plan as such.

Which might have been why it was so hard to search the area covered by it.

Sux.

I kinda liked that dude.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 09:39:43 PM »
They did, but only to a reasonable extent.

Truth be known, unless an ELT beacon starts squawking post-crash, there is only so much terrain they search based on what's available for assets and manpower.  You start with the flight plan, and work your way outwards.  But "outwards" is a finite thing, based on several variables.  If there's no flight plan, then you really have your work cut out for you.

He was known to be fond of flying along the Highway 395 corridor, so they focused on that to an extent.

It also appears that's some pretty rugged terrain where they found his ID cards, making searches even more difficult:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/01/MNPT139M9N.DTL

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 09:56:34 PM »
Will be interesting to hear if they find a body amongst the wreckage.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 10:15:12 PM »
My guess is that if he survived the crash he had a broken leg or something and died less than a mile from the aircraft.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 01:49:19 AM »
Will be interesting to hear if they find a body amongst the wreckage.
And REALLY interesting if they don't.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 01:52:34 AM »
this long critters woulda gotten to him
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 02:09:43 AM »
So the moral of the story is file a flight plan and stick to it?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 03:56:15 AM »
hungry sasquatch have been known to raid crash sites
 grin

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 04:01:41 AM »
IIRC, during the search, while they didn't find Fossett's aircraft, they DID locate several previously unknown small aircraft crash sites . . .
I would have found the licenses and $5 in cash.
Hmmm . . . maybe there was $10k in the wallet?

Wonder what The Enquirer would've paid for the stuff . . . probably more than the cops.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 04:07:20 AM »

No.  VFR flight plans are voluntary.  Carry a good ELT, and prepare to get yourself out of your own mess.  Even then, you may be there for a day or two.

A VFR flight plan provides little protection in the event of a crash.  An aircraft on an active VFR flight plane isn't considered missing until 4 or more hours after the planned ETA.  Then a search is started which will consist of a phone call to the destination airport, if possible, to determine if the plane is actually there.  Slowly, the search will expand.  The VFR flight plan may help, but not until many hours after the crash.  

If a pilot wants to be watched-over, then flying IFR is the way to go.  Under IFR, a plane is constantly tracked and controlled.

I don't know about any other pilots, but I'd rather fly VFR so I don't have to deal with all of the IFR and ATC rules.  Much less hassle.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 04:34:55 AM »
MSNBC has a picture of the FAA license card that was found.  The top left corner appears as if it has been chewed or melted. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 04:56:58 AM »
Looks melted to me.

Sheesh... the guy can fly everything.  Planes, copters, gliders, balloons.  The only things missing are blimps and the new powered-lift categories.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 05:01:43 AM »

Yes.  Even if its a VFR flight plan.  Make sure someone knows where to look for your corpse.  I disagree with Fly320's a bit here.  Because the FAA didn't even have a vauge clue about Fossetts plans, they didn't really know where to look. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”