Author Topic: "No problem"  (Read 7409 times)

Marnoot

• friend
Re: "No problem"
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 11:00:52 PM »
I decided a while ago to not get too hung up on figures of speech that bother me. There's still plenty that bother me, but I've come to accept that language changes, and it's not necessarily going to change in a way that I like and try not to let it bother me.

Reminds me of a thread I was involved in on THR many years ago where I was being berated for using the word "shrapnel" to generically refer to fragments from an exploding bomb, when the "proper" usage, according to the berating poster, only referred to a very specific type of bomb created by General Shrapnel in the 1800's. Language changes. At some point bad Latin became good Italian.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 11:18:02 PM by Marnoot »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 12:37:27 AM »
Maybe the berating poster was General Shrapnel.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 01:00:57 AM »
Would you rather the several paragraph long "Thank you for this opportunity to serve you today?"
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 06:54:26 AM »
Since this topic has surfaced I have taken more close note of how service persons respond to me.  I am one of those types that insist on making requests that begin with "May I please have" and when the request is fulfilled I say "Thank you".  Say "please" when placing an order through the speaker for a soda at the drive-through window.  Say "thank you" when they tell me how much it will cost me.  Say "thank you" again when they shove it out the window at me.  I go through the same when ordering at any kind of sit-down foodery from greasy spoon to prix fixe sooper-swanky place.  Same at the deli counter, the auto parts store, or the local flea market swap meet.

So far in response to "thank you" I've gotten:

- "OK" from the speaker, but "Sure" from the person thrusting the icy beverage out the window.
- "You're welcome" at the deli counter (but the lady working there is older than me and grew up in Greece)
- Nada/zip/bupkis at the parts place
- Everything from "you're welcome" to "sure, baby" at the local diner where I'm a regular, depending on which person is serving, and "You are certainly welcome" from the waitress at the Waffle House who has lasted longer than anyone expected and actually seems to like that as a job.
- "But of course" seems to be drilled into everybody at the prix fixe sooper-swanky place, based on one visit there.
- "De nada" from everybody at the flea market, regardless of obvious or not-so-obvious country of origin.  (Is Mississippi a foreign country?  I'm asking because the gentleman I asked about his use of Spanish said he is not from 'Murrica but from Mississippi.  If he were any blacker he would start sucking planets in.  But he's the only one who packs the vegetables he picked early in the morning in straw to keep them fresh.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 07:53:55 AM »
If he were any blacker he would start sucking planets in. 

:lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 08:38:48 AM »
whutz yinz talkin bout now?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 08:44:25 AM »
he is not from 'Murrica but from Mississippi

Of course, Mississippi is in The South  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 01:02:48 PM »
[indian accent]I am pleased to be thanking you![/indian accent]
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 02:08:26 PM »
[indian accent]I am pleased to be thanking you![/indian accent]

Never heerd no redskin talk thataway.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 05:03:39 PM »
Mumbay accent, then.

Sheesh. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 08:46:31 PM »
It would seem that I say this a lot (intended as a form of "Don't mention it").

Sorry Monkeyleg.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 09:06:14 PM »
Skid, I was born and raised in Virginia and I say "You guys"... I do not say "Yous guys" though, so I think we're safe.

But, no problems, dude.

(actually, I don't really say "no problem". I say "You're welcome". I do say "dude", though... A lot... Sorry)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 11:05:04 PM »
Skid, I was born and raised in Virginia and I say "You guys"... I do not say "Yous guys" though, so I think we're safe.

But do you say "You guys" if the group you are addressing is comprised at least 50 percent of women?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 11:14:32 PM »
But do you say "You guys" if the group you are addressing is comprised at least 50 percent of women?

I've said it to groups comprimised of ALL woman.

In all fairness, the language has many all encompassesing words that discribe mixed gender groups in masculine terms.
I don't see why it offends you if I continue on the theme since MANkind has neglegted to provide enough word variations that arn't stupid for females. (if you call a group of ladies with me in it 'Gals' I might shoot you. Stupid word)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 11:18:31 PM »
[indian accent]Welcoming to technical support. My name is Bob. I am pleased to be thanking you![/indian accent]

FIFY

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 09:06:18 AM »
[indian accent]Welcoming to technical support. My name is Bob. I am pleased to be thanking you![/indian accent]

Except you can't understand a word of it anyway  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 10:27:56 AM »
For the non-Texan's benefit...

Y'all - group singular
All Y'all - group plural

Misuse is punishable by death.  Or exile to Oklahoma.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »
For the non-Texan's benefit...

Y'all - group singular
All Y'all - group plural

Misuse is punishable by death.  Or exile to Oklahoma.

Brad

You can't exile me.  I am a native born Texican  =D

But I don't hang around in Texass much any more  ;)

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2013, 10:59:17 AM »

Nope. You folks. =)
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 04:23:28 PM »
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 05:32:04 PM »
I don't see why it offends you if I continue on the theme since MANkind has neglegted to provide enough word variations that arn't stupid for females. (if you call a group of ladies with me in it 'Gals' I might shoot you. Stupid word)

It offends me on behalf of my late grandmother, who would NOT have tolerated such. If she were in a mixed gender group and a waitperson addressed the group that way, either the group would have left the restaurant or my grandmother would have left the group.

If I were a waitperson serving a mixed group, I would probably address them as "Ladies and gentlemen." If it were an all-female group, I would certainly address them as "Ladies."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2013, 05:34:01 PM »
Except you can't understand a word of it anyway  ;/

True.

When I complained once to "Samantha" that I couldn't understand her, she came back with "I are speaking English very good."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2013, 05:44:52 PM »

Words that unify groups of people into a single unit can often have gender assigned to them.  The gender is irrelevant.  Talking directly to a mixed gender group in spanish, you would say "ustedes" (or "vosotros/vosotras" if in Castillian Spain). and if you were talking about a mixed gender group as a third party, you'd say "ellos" (which is masculine).  In the case of the Castillian example, mixed gender groups would still be "vosotros" and default any women present to being referred to in the group as masculine.

I understand that German has 3 genders, though I've never studied the language.

Spanish gender is so mixed up that the word for tampon is masculine in gender, as is the notion of an "egg" in human reproduction (ovulo).

"You guys" is nothing compared to all these games in other languages.  As confusing as English is to learn, I'm glad it at least lacks gender in its verb conjugation and parts of speech.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2013, 05:52:54 PM »
In Gaelic, there is singular/familiar thu ("hoo") and plural/formal sibh ("shiv").

So if you are addressing an older person or a stranger or one in authority or even a customer, you would use the plural form, even to just one person.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 05:55:24 PM »
TP, where did you learn Gaelic?  I've never seen it offered anywhere.  Just open a book and start on your own, coupled with audiotapes?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!