Author Topic: "No problem"  (Read 7407 times)

zahc

• friend
Re: "No problem"
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2013, 07:59:36 PM »
In Gaelic, there is singular/familiar thu ("hoo") and plural/formal sibh ("shiv").

So if you are addressing an older person or a stranger or one in authority or even a customer, you would use the plural form, even to just one person.

I may be wrong, but I believe English "you" is actually plural. In other words, "you" originally meant "yall". The singular word for "you" is "thee".
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2013, 08:11:36 PM »
I may be wrong, but I believe English "you" is actually plural. In other words, "you" originally meant "yall". The singular word for "you" is "thee".

Thou art nearly correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2013, 01:38:49 AM »
Thou art nearly correct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou

Wow.  I guess it is true that you learn something new every day.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2013, 09:33:52 AM »
Wow.  I guess it is true that you learn something new every day.

You could have said "thank thee"  =D

No problem.  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »

=D  Nice

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2013, 09:07:51 PM »

Touché!

(Credit: James Thurber)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2013, 09:11:27 PM »
The English construct I absolutely loathe is usually in spoken form, and it consists of an imbedded question or statement.  Examples:

It's a matter of "Are we speaking correct English".

It's like he's "Well, I don't know".

It makes me want to shriek.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2013, 12:49:19 AM »
To address Dick's OP, I hear "no problem" a lot too, and I use it sometimes, but only under specific circumstances. "You're welcome" is appropriate  in response to any thanks. But "no problem" is appropriate only in situations where you are clarifying for the thanker that it really was not a problem. If a friend calls me to go pick them up and drive them home after a night of drinking, when they thank me as I drop them off, I might say "no problem." If someone asked me to pick up lunch for them while I was out and thanked me when I gave it to them, I might say "no problem." However, if I complimented someone in some fashion, gave someone a gift, or did some task for them without being asked, I would respond to their thanks with "you're welcome," never with "no problem."

Addressing individuals and groups:
You - singular
Y'all - plural
All y'all - multiple groups (half the folks in the room are conservative, the other half of the folks are liberal, someone addressing the entire group might say "all y'all" to note that there's a division or difference or two or more distinct factions)
And growing up in rural southern Missouri - and it's the only place I've EVER heard it - when addressing more than one person the word is you'uns. "You'uns comin' by for Sund'y dinner?"
(I could be spelling that wrong as it obviously is not an actual word, but that's phonetically correct.)  :facepalm:

Oh, and whoever made the comment about the distinction between "that" and "who" - that's one of my biggest peeves too. Second only to the incessant use of the word "had" by folks who ought to know better. Next in line is overuse of "the." When editing one of my former writer's columns, the first thing I did was use the "find" feature. In one particular 700 word column I trimmed "the" out 102 times, which left 67 remaining. Still makes my jaw clench to think about it.

Edited to correct use of "too" - another of my peeves. :D

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:23:43 AM by MrsSmith »
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2013, 01:12:33 AM »
I usually use "you folks" for the plural you.  I remember one Bible I used to use as a kid which used a capitalized "You" for the plural.

"Oh, and whoever made the comment about the distinction between "that" and "who" - that's one of my biggest peeves too."  Me too, but I'm letting a lot of things slide of late. 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2013, 01:20:14 AM »
"Who's that?"

:P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2013, 09:10:15 AM »
distinction between "that" and "who"

It's all a matter of "Which to use?"

;)