Author Topic: Racist Halloween Costume  (Read 6417 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Racist Halloween Costume
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 03:50:13 PM »
I don't think this is the same as what you are thinking of though. 

I could care less if a black/brown skinned person wore white face.   =D

Dave Chappelle tried this in his "pixies" sketch.  The whitefaced pixie wasn't funny.  It wasn't offensive either, it just didn't work.  (there's probably some deep meaning there)  The black and Asian pixies were funny.  A Mexican pixie would probably be funny too, but he didn't go there.

The black pixie was the character that killed the show.  ;/ Chappelle offended himself with it (actually, a white audience member laughed a little too much, or something like that) and quit the show.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 03:54:51 PM »
I don't think this is the same as what you are thinking of though. 

What do you mean? What was I thinking of?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 06:46:17 PM »
I think the confusion here is the conflation between black the skin pigmentation and black the actual color.

It's getting to the point where black the color is often interpreted as racist, depending on who's using it, which, IMHO, is wrong.

In this case, the chick was going for black the color, not black the skin pigmentation.

It's a freeking color. This isn't rocket science and there was no need for anyone to be offended.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 07:01:50 PM »
I think the confusion here is the conflation between black the skin pigmentation and black the actual color.

It's getting to the point where black the color is often interpreted as racist, depending on who's using it, which, IMHO, is wrong.

In this case, the chick was going for black the color, not black the skin pigmentation.

It's a freeking color. This isn't rocket science and there was no need for anyone to be offended.

It's an opportunity for people who want to be offended.  "Dark soul" chick was doing them a favor; they should show a little gratitude.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2017, 09:20:57 AM »
http://babylonbee.com/news/nations-zombie-population-complains-halloween-costume-cultural-appropriation/

Speaking at a press conference Monday, the representatives for the nation’s population of flesh-eating, undead zombies delivered an emotional plea to American children to not dress up as insensitive and inaccurate representations of their culture.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2017, 09:30:20 AM »
You know, you can't dress up as anything anymore, especially not the really scary/evil stuff.

You can't dress up as a ghost, because everyone thinks you're a Klansman and they get all triggered.

You definitely can't dress up as a Klansman.

You can't dress up as a Nazi because OMG TRUMP/HITLER/HOLOCAUSE!

You can't dress up in black face, white face, brown face, yellow face, even if you are black, white, brown, or yellow.

You can't dress up in an Indian costume because the Washington Redskins get all triggered.

You can't dress up as a mime because mute people get all pissed.

You can't dress up as a professional like a police officer because BLM!

I'm going to go as exactly what I am, a fat, angry, Conservative, middle aged white man and piss EVERYONE off.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:25:34 PM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2017, 02:13:49 PM »
Given this Halloween is the 500th anniversary of Luther's famous/infamous theses, I was planning to dress as the Wittenberg reformer on Tuesday. Unfortunately, all I could find were Sexy Martin Luther costumes...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2017, 03:46:54 PM »
Tie just shy of 100 turds to a cloak.

You'd be the 95 feces...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2017, 04:57:37 PM »
I protest that.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2017, 10:42:45 PM »
Y'know, I don't much pay any attention to the idiots who whine and piss and moan and are all offended by, well, everything.  What bothers me though, is why the people who innocently are trying to have a little fun, to joke around, or in the case of Halloween, put on a costume, seem to find it necessary to apologize when one or more of those aholes begin to whine and piss and moan.  I'm with the GFY meme.  I wish more would do that. 

The owner of the Houston football team found it necessary to apologize for commenting that the inmates don't run the prison.  If I were him, I'd have told the player to GFY and you don't play for me next year unless you get your *expletive deleted*it together.  I don't care what you do off the job, but when you are working for me, you'll do what I say.  If you don't like that, the door swings out.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2017, 12:01:43 AM »
Any racial issues aside, I think I'd be a little put off to find that my employer thinks of me as a convict in his prison.

I'm sorry. I know it's fashionable to be offended any time someone takes offense, but I can't ignore the fact that some offense-taking is not entirely without merit.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2017, 12:32:12 AM »
Any racial issues aside, I think I'd be a little put off to find that my employer thinks of me as a convict in his prison.

I'm sorry. I know it's fashionable to be offended any time someone takes offense, but I can't ignore the fact that some offense-taking is not entirely without merit.

Might depend on just how many are actual convicted felons.

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2017, 12:33:34 AM »
Might depend on just how many are actual convicted felons.

Point taken.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2017, 08:20:58 AM »
it's the pinnacle of conceit to believe that your being 'offended' should stop the world.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2017, 08:43:40 AM »
I like that Dark Soul costume. It's very creepy. I am not offended.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2017, 08:52:29 AM »
I like that Dark Soul costume. It's very creepy. I am not offended.

That's because you're a rational person. I'd be willing to bet that those who started this kerfuffle were the usual white SJW suspects who insist on speaking for others and who tell everyone how to think. While some black people may have gotten on board with it after, I would bet they were the usual "Al Sharpton" followers who go out of their way looking for offense.

If everyone would just mind their own business, this would be a much better world.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2017, 08:54:18 AM »
it's the pinnacle of conceit to believe that your being 'offended' should stop the world.

BUT... BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT...

I'M OFFENDED! YOU MUST PANDER TO ME! IT'S MY RIGHT TO INCONVENIENCE HUNDREDS, OR BETTER YET, THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE BECAUSE OF MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2017, 08:58:17 AM »
I protest that.

#MeToo  What caliber for cloaca-costumed revelers?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2017, 09:11:42 AM »
Y'know, I don't much pay any attention to the idiots who whine and piss and moan and are all offended by, well, everything.  What bothers me though, is why the people who innocently are trying to have a little fun, to joke around, or in the case of Halloween, put on a costume, seem to find it necessary to apologize when one or more of those aholes begin to whine and piss and moan.  I'm with the GFY meme.  I wish more would do that. 

The owner of the Houston football team found it necessary to apologize for commenting that the inmates don't run the prison.  If I were him, I'd have told the player to GFY and you don't play for me next year unless you get your *expletive deleted*it together.  I don't care what you do off the job, but when you are working for me, you'll do what I say.  If you don't like that, the door swings out.

Piss poor management of the players.  That's an awful thing to say to your employees, especially when there are ways to mitigate or manage them deciding to do *expletive deleted*it that makes your franchise look bad.  The insinuation that they're inmates means that you either think you own them, or that they're nothing but a bunch of criminals.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2017, 09:30:35 AM »
Piss poor management of the players.  That's an awful thing to say to your employees, especially when there are ways to mitigate or manage them deciding to do *expletive deleted*it that makes your franchise look bad.  The insinuation that they're inmates means that you either think you own them, or that they're nothing but a bunch of criminals.

Not knowing everything behind this particular incident, I'm going to disagree regarding the outrage. I think this is clearly one of those problems we have been running into way too much of late that is generational. "Inmates running the asylum" has no "criminal" connotations to pretty much anyone I know of my generation. I've always known it to mean that the least capable people are running things. Much in the same way as "majority/mob rule".

He may be calling them dummies, but he's not calling them criminals. Not to cause offense, but if people are associating this phrase with black people, then immediately associating "inmates running the asylum" with black people = criminals, then maybe the owner who used the phrase is not the racist.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2017, 09:33:48 AM »
"The insinuation that they're inmates means that you either think you own them, or that they're nothing but a bunch of criminals."

More and more, NFL players are a bunch of criminals.

And, being under contract is a form of "ownership" of services and expectations of services rendered.

Of course, cue the screeching about slavery....

If getting a base salary of nearly $470,000 for year one out of the draft is considered slavery, someone(s) needs to read up on what actual slavery is.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2017, 09:40:21 AM »
Not knowing everything behind this particular incident, I'm going to disagree regarding the outrage. I think this is clearly one of those problems we have been running into way too much of late that is generational. "Inmates running the asylum" has no "criminal" connotations to pretty much anyone I know of my generation. I've always known it to mean that the least capable people are running things. Much in the same way as "majority/mob rule".

He may be calling them dummies, but he's not calling them criminals. Not to cause offense, but if people are associating this phrase with black people, then immediately associating "inmates running the asylum" with black people = criminals, then maybe the owner who used the phrase is not the racist.

He didn't say "asylum." He said "prison."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2017, 09:43:45 AM »

He didn't say "asylum." He said "prison."

Okay. Did he pull a Trump, misquote, and later correct that he meant "asylum", or did he stick with prison?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2017, 12:48:19 PM »
So for Halloween, my daughters are going as:

Aurora (Sleeping Beauty): Obviously as a result of her white privilege. Racist
Betsy Ross (No seriously, she chose it): I don't think I need to spell this one out. HORRIBLY racist
Bumblebee (for the baby): Someone's going to have to help me on this one, I'm not woke enough to find the offense, but I'm sure someone can.

My son:

Knight: Personally, I'm extremely disappointed. Not in the boy. I'm disappointed he couldn't find a "Crusader" costume. THAT would have been extra-offensive. As it is, he's just going out as a knight and carrying his dragon. OH! I just realized the dragon is black. THERE we go.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2017, 03:13:58 PM »
"The insinuation that they're inmates means that you either think you own them, or that they're nothing but a bunch of criminals."

More and more, NFL players are a bunch of criminals.

And, being under contract is a form of "ownership" of services and expectations of services rendered.

Of course, cue the screeching about slavery....

If getting a base salary of nearly $470,000 for year one out of the draft is considered slavery, someone(s) needs to read up on what actual slavery is.

What's funny is the Texans try and do their best to keep the riff raff out of their franchise.  They generally won't draft anyone with criminal issues.

Mostly I just saw it as a shitty way of talking to your employees.  Employees who earn your franchise a *expletive deleted*it ton of money.  I can understand why their pissed. 

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”