Author Topic: Airports - Microcosms of Government innefieciency and Union incompetence  (Read 684 times)

MikeB

• friend
As I'm sitting in an airport and can't even get a airport quality meal at 9pm at night. It comes to me once again that Airports which by and large are government run and regulated and primarily staffed by slovenly lazy incompetent Union employees are the perfect  Microcosm of everything wrong with Big Government and typical Union employees.

There are flights out of here for another two hours or so and every place serving food is cleaning up and only has hours or days old food available. The employees are the typical slovenly dirty Union types that show no interest in actually serving a customer vs. punching a clock. Due to the government ownership and control of the airport you know nothing will ever change.

zahc

• friend
Re: Airports - Microcosms of Government innefieciency and Union incompetence
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 11:28:18 PM »
Where are you? It really depends. Some airports are much worse than others, either because of local standards or local regulations. I have been traveling through PHX and ticked off that there is only one decent place to get a beer in the whole giant sprawling airport, and that they close at 9, and because they don't even offer me a warning before they stop serving, and I am not allowed to take beer outside the store. On the other hand, at ORD I get a growler of  Rogue Dead Guy Ale to bring home every time. I like Pittsburgh because they have lots of cheap stores, including a proper CVS with big $1 bottles of water.

I often wonder what air travel would be like had it been invented fast enough or early enough for it to become commonplace before the government got around to regulating it into mediocrity.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 12:55:11 AM »
I was in Midway when I wrote that. I feel that way about most airports though there are some exceptions, but even the better ones still have government over regulation, TSA, etc.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 01:35:47 AM »
I often wonder what air travel would be like had it been invented fast enough or early enough for it to become commonplace before the government got around to regulating it into mediocrity.

So, prior to 1887?

An interesting thought.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 10:53:22 AM »
It's a unified effort. The airlines are also complicit.

I had occasion to use the new American Airlines terminal at JFK in New York earlier this year. (I don't know how new it is -- a couple of years or so, I guess. I try to stay as far away from NYC as possible.) I was astonished to note that there are NO restaurants -- not even fast food types -- on the public side of the security screening interface. Not upstairs at the departure level, nor downstairs on the arrivals level.

Yes, there are food sources in the concourse, once you pass through security. But that totally ignores how many families use airports. My late wife used to travel to her native country at least once a year. These days, thanks primarily to IST (Institutionalized Security Theater) they want passengers to arrive at the airport two hours before domestic flights and three hours before international flights. Our routine was to arrive 3 hours ahead, get her checked in, and then we'd find a restaurant and sit down to have supper together before her flight.

That wouldn't be possible at the American terminal at JFK. Which I think is very uncivilized. It means families arriving to drop off one or some of the family members can't share that last pre-flight meal together. To me it fits perfectly in the WWTT* Department.

* What Were They Thinking?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 10:54:38 AM »
I was in Midway when I wrote that . . .
Well, it IS in Chicago . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 09:16:42 AM »
IAH and DFW are both pleasant airports in that you can find food later at night, they're clean, and the workers are way nicer and don't look like *expletive deleted*it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 03:27:07 PM »
I think Bush International in Houston is partly city run.  All the concessions/resturants are contracted through one group.  

But I rarely fly so I am no expert.  Just hearsay.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge