Author Topic: Akbash Dog  (Read 4677 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Akbash Dog
« on: April 29, 2018, 09:01:16 PM »
At the place where I stayed for the last couple of days, the woman that owns the house has an Akbash dog. I had never heard of them before, but it was an absolutely neat dog. They are ginormous. This one was 18 months and must have already been at least 80lbs. In some ways they look almost Labrador-like. Lean, but massive.

This dog, especially for a puppy, was one of the calmest, sweetest dogs I have ever run across. Absolutely mellow. They are apparently very independent dogs who like a lot of land to roam they are herd protectors rather than herders. I watched this one do the rounds on her ten acres, checking the cattle and horses, and she would always find some high spot or other good vantage point to hang out at when she was resting, so she could watch all of her territory.

Anyway, I found this one example of the breed to be very cool. They are apparently a very popular dog in Idaho. I don't think I've ever seen one in CA. I read up on them a bit, and the reading doesn't match much of what I saw in this particular example. She lives with a Jack Russel and an Australian sheep dog, and the Aussie is an example of her breed - likes to nip, etc., but I only ever saw the Akbash either disregard the other dogs, or if anything, mother them. She also seemed quite intelligent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akbash_dog
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
Re: Akbash Dog
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 09:36:48 PM »
Cool mutt.

With the tail he looks like the Anatolian breed might be a cousin.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 11:26:47 PM »
Never seen one before. Around here anyone without a guard llama seems to go for a Kuvasz. Things seem to actually enjoy sleeping in the snow.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 11:29:48 PM »
If the Akbash isn't the same as an Anatolian they're very closely related.
Formerly sumpnz

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 07:36:46 AM »
I don't know about the Akbash, but there is apparently a lot of relation between the Anatolian Shepherd and the Kangal.

They're all neat dogs.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 02:56:15 PM »
*snort* The Akbash and the Kangal *ARE* Anatolian Shepherds. It's just a regional color difference in the breed without the dilutes you find in the States.

Akbash are the whites. Kangals are dark grey fawns.

(FYI, this is a sensitive subject among breeders in the States)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 07:03:08 AM »
"The Akbash and the Kangal *ARE* Anatolian Shepherds."

Depending on whom you talk to, on alternating full moon cycles, and under 50% pollen count. Other times, you'll get a screechy lecture about how no, they are NOT the same followed by a flurry of fists... Sort of like "Oh, what a pretty King Shepherd..."

IT'S A SHILOH SHEPHERD, YOU UNADULTERATED *expletive deleted*wit! CAN'T YOU SEE THAT THE MUZZLE CREST IS 0.725 MM FARTHER BACK, AND THE NASAL SPHERICAL ASTROLABY IS RITICULATED?

psssst! Puppy! Bark twice if you need to be rescued from this ahole....

There's a huge reason why I don't like dogs shows..
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 10:25:37 AM »

Depending on whom you talk to, on alternating full moon cycles, and under 50% pollen count. Other times, you'll get a screechy lecture about how no, they are NOT the same followed by a flurry of fists... Sort of like "Oh, what a pretty King Shepherd..."

IT'S A SHILOH SHEPHERD, YOU UNADULTERATED *expletive deleted*wit! CAN'T YOU SEE THAT THE MUZZLE CREST IS 0.725 MM FARTHER BACK, AND THE NASAL SPHERICAL ASTROLABY IS RITICULATED?

psssst! Puppy! Bark twice if you need to be rescued from this *expletive deleted*hole....

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLKsmJzn5Q8
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 10:33:05 AM »
*snort* The Akbash and the Kangal *ARE* Anatolian Shepherds. It's just a regional color difference in the breed without the dilutes you find in the States.

Akbash are the whites. Kangals are dark grey fawns.

Sez you. What do you know about ...

... oh. Never mind.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 11:14:45 AM »
Sez you. What do you know about ...

... oh. Never mind.

*slinks in bunker.

Someone tell me when it's safe.
AKA Navy Joe   

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 01:56:09 PM »

psssst! Puppy! Bark twice if you need to be rescued from this *expletive deleted*hole....

That's why I always go to the DNA testing when I run into the asshats.

Yeah, so the breed was genetically tested and the DNA results prove it's all the same breed.

Meh. Some people just want to think they are special with their special dog and they congregate at dog shows.

I sometimes wish they'd limit conformation showing to breeders only, except some of them are just as nutso as their puppy people. 

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 02:05:04 PM »
*slinks in bunker.

Someone tell me when it's safe.

It was a joke.

I think Liz got it.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 02:06:24 PM »
That's why I always go to the DNA testing when I run into the asshats.

Yeah, so the breed was genetically tested and the DNA results prove it's all the same breed.

Meh. Some people just want to think they are special with their special dog and they congregate at dog shows.

I sometimes wish they'd limit conformation showing to breeders only, except some of them are just as nutso as their puppy people. 

So if someone wanted to show an Akbash, they would enter it as an Anatolian?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 02:21:32 PM »
So if someone wanted to show an Akbash, they would enter it as an Anatolian?

Depends on the group they are registered with.

In the AKC, the recognized breed is the Anatolian Shepherd Dog. There is a process to have a dog that has a proven pedigree to be accepted into the breed. My boss bought two bitches that have pedigrees as Kangals and had them registered as Anatolians in the AKC.

I honestly don't know what the other organizations do. I know that Rare Breed only recognizes Anatolians, because Louise help found Rare Breeds. As far as CKC, who the *expletive deleted*ck knows. You can register your "pure bred" doodle with those idiots.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 02:27:50 PM »
"Yeah, so the breed was genetically tested and the DNA results prove it's all the same breed."

DNA testing... Fuh! The lesbian sister of phrenology and alchemy!

Fuh to it, I say!

:rofl:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 04:35:16 PM »
Depends on the group they are registered with.

In the AKC, the recognized breed is the Anatolian Shepherd Dog. There is a process to have a dog that has a proven pedigree to be accepted into the breed. My boss bought two bitches that have pedigrees as Kangals and had them registered as Anatolians in the AKC.

I honestly don't know what the other organizations do. I know that Rare Breed only recognizes Anatolians, because Louise help found Rare Breeds. As far as CKC, who the *expletive deleted*ck knows. You can register your "pure bred" doodle with those idiots.

I prefer to adopt a shelter dog, and lord my moral superiority over all of you cold, unfeeling elitists.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 09:50:43 PM »
Hey, I tried to call a walker hound a basset hound today. At least I had hound from the incessant paying. I know dogs that wag at me and them that don't, only two breeds that matter.
AKA Navy Joe   

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 10:07:27 PM »

I prefer to adopt a shelter dog, and lord my moral superiority over all of you cold, unfeeling elitists.

You didn't need to adopt a shelter dog to do that. You do that everyday anyway.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 10:08:37 PM »
Hey, I tried to call a walker hound a basset hound today. At least I had hound from the incessant paying. I know dogs that wag at me and them that don't, only two breeds that matter.

I'm confused as to how you did this in the first place. Walker hounds are all legs and basset hounds are no legs...  ???

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 11:26:29 PM »
I'm confused as to how you did this in the first place. Walker hounds are all legs and basset hounds are no legs...  ???

Jenny, I'm not a very smart man. I can't tell any hounds apart, a liability living in bear dog country.
AKA Navy Joe   

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 11:59:37 PM »

Doesn't matter if the Akbash identifies as a Chihuahua.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 01:11:32 AM »
You didn't need to adopt a shelter dog to do that. You do that everyday anyway.

Moral superiority: if you've got it, flaunt it!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2018, 01:55:42 AM »
Moral superiority: if you've got it, flaunt it!

And if you don't got it ... flaunt it anyway.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2018, 06:25:28 PM »

I'll have you know all our cats are on the Domestic Shorthair registry...
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 07:23:38 PM »
I'll have you know all our cats are on the Domestic Shorthair registry...

Like this one? =D  I think it's a shorthair.   Hey,  I got her at the pound, she MUST have some pedigree ... ... [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero