Author Topic: Hey FDA, Poop Is Not a Drug  (Read 3605 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Hey FDA, Poop Is Not a Drug
« on: February 21, 2014, 11:59:09 AM »
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2014/02/19/hey-fda-poop-is-not-a-drug/

Imagine if in the 1960s surgeons like Christiaan Barnard or Norman Shumway had had to use the same rules that govern the development and testing of pharmaceutical medications when they were teaching the rest of the world how to transplant hearts from the recently deceased into their patients. The idea is absurd on the face of it. For starters, hearts do not come in standard sizes. Nor do all transplanted organs have the same “shelf life” the way different lots of properly manufactured drugs do.

So why does the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulate fecal transplants the same way that it does medications?

Because there are no consequences to the FDA or its personnel for doing so.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Hey FDA, Poop Is Not a Drug
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 01:37:24 PM »
I haven't read the article yet, but I will.

First, I just wanted to say WTF is a "fecal transplant?" 

Sounds like some kind of . . . actually I don't even want to say what it sounds like . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 01:51:32 PM »
Well, it turns out a "fecal transplant" is exactly what it sounds like it would be.   [barf]

On the other hand, I wonder if I could sell the medical community some of my good, healthy, grade-A poop.

Talk about a renewable resource!
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 02:41:03 PM »
I'm guessing to get digestive tract bacteria jumpstarted after a procedure?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 02:58:25 PM »
I'm guessing to get digestive tract bacteria jumpstarted after a procedure?

Not only that, but to deal with individuals who have poor bacterial composition in their intestines. I'm not fully versed in the.... err... procedure, but I recall reading it can help deal with things like Crohn's disease (which can cause Irritable Bowel Syndrome.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 03:39:59 PM »
And its not new. Older than some of you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 03:50:01 PM »
Foals eat their mama's droppings to get the system started.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 04:41:07 PM »
Huh, I had never heard of such a thing. I'll chalk this up as my "new thing learned" for today.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 06:18:27 PM »
Well, it turns out a "fecal transplant" is exactly what it sounds like it would be.   [barf]

On the other hand, I wonder if I could sell the medical community some of my good, healthy, grade-A poop.

Ned!
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 08:53:17 PM »
We had a discussion about this a couple of years or so ago but I don't remember which forum it might have been in.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 10:02:57 PM »
We had a discussion about this a couple of years or so ago but I don't remember which forum it might have been in.

Well, the smelly little secret is that the FDA wants to regulate it like a drug.  Last time we were like fifth_column above, trying to wrap our heads around the procedure.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 11:13:29 PM »
Last time we were like fifth_column above, trying to wrap our heads around the procedure.

If you're using your head, you're doing it wrong.

This could be a lucrative new business.  Forget Ned, somebody call GigaBuist!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 07:22:21 PM »
If you're using your head, you're doing it wrong.

This could be a lucrative new business.  Forget Ned, somebody call GigaBuist!

It could become another family enterprise.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 07:32:35 PM »
It could become another family enterprise.
Sounds like a crap shoot.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 07:47:16 PM »
Do I even want to know the means of putting this "drug" into the body  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 07:59:07 PM »
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 08:58:22 PM »
It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 10:17:15 PM »
The reason why I'm late for work is that I stopped by the Brown Cross and donated poop.   :angel:

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 10:55:18 PM »
The reason why I'm late for work is that I stopped by the Brown Cross and donated poop.   :angel:
Did they have padded stools in the waiting room?

roo_ster

• friend
Re: Re: Re: Hey FDA, Poop Is Not a Drug
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 06:32:13 AM »
Did they have padded stools in the waiting room?
No but they give you a high fiber snack bar afterwards.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 07:59:33 AM »
Izzat why dogs often eat poop (coprophagia)?

Bacterial replacement?

I was told it was to replace salts & minerals & such, but I didn't believe that at the time.

bluestarlizzard, can you speak to this?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 08:05:30 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 11:22:02 AM »
It's because dogs eat anything everything.  They don't have an instinctual poo bacteria sensor.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 10:43:44 PM »
Izzat why dogs often eat poop (coprophagia)?

Not really, it's more that some animals, dogs included depending on diet, don't fully digest everything with only one pass through the digestive tract.  If their noses tell them there's sufficient protein(and/or other nutrients) remaining in the fecal matter....  Rabbits are notorious for this.

It's also why you can often solve the problem by changing their dog food to one that's easier to digest.  Unless there's other behavioral issues if the dog's already getting all the nutrients out the first time they won't eat it for a second pass.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 10:23:29 PM »
Not really, it's more that some animals, dogs included depending on diet, don't fully digest everything with only one pass through the digestive tract.  If their noses tell them there's sufficient protein(and/or other nutrients) remaining in the fecal matter....  Rabbits are notorious for this.

It's also why you can often solve the problem by changing their dog food to one that's easier to digest.  Unless there's other behavioral issues if the dog's already getting all the nutrients out the first time they won't eat it for a second pass.

My puppies believe rabbits do not sufficiently digest the nutrients in their food...
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G