Author Topic: John McCain is our next best hope?  (Read 4742 times)

Ron

John McCain is our next best hope?
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 02:24:35 PM »
I'm interested in seeing more on Newt Gingrich and George Allen.
These two and maybe Condi have my interest.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 03:07:54 PM »
Quote from: grampster
Newt and Condi would be my dream ticket.
With Condi on the ticket, "Contract ON America" would really be a scary line.  

Ice Queen for Veep!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 03:41:29 PM »
I dont know what all this business is for Condoleeza Rice.  The woman is not qualified to be president, nor does she want the job.  It takes more than intelligence (which admittedly she has in abundance) to do well.  It is the Colin Powell Syndrome.

I would be interested in learning more about Haley Barbour, Gov of MS.  The crowd of Republicans there now sure dont do much for me.  Heck, if Phil Bredesen, TN gov, got nominated for the Dems I might even vote for him.  I would over McCain anyway.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 04:16:11 PM »
The GOP is finding itself in the position of not having a real viable candidate that can energize its base.  Half of the front runners are RINOs, and the Rep. base is starting to see through them.  The best thing for the GOP would be if Hillary Clinton would run -- she'll energize the Republican base like to Republican can.  She's the perfect bogeyman for Republicans to point at.

That said, if the choice is between Clinton and McCain, I'll vote Libertarian or abstain.  One's as bad as the other.  Voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us into this mess where the GOP can't do anything but step on its own dick.  The party leadership is in need of thorough house cleaning.  The Republican Party needs to get people in there who won't try to be Democrat Lite.  If the American electorate wants liberal policies, it'll vote for Dems.  If it wants conservative policies, it'll vote Republican, if the Reps. are running as conservatives rather than moderates or liberals.  For some reason the GOP can't get this through its thick skull.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 06:00:18 PM »
I think Newt would be detrimental. Not because I don't like him. I do. But he would be so controversial that he might galvanize the independents and "Reagan Democrats" to make a left turn.

George Allen shows promise, but he needs to get the GOP behind him. There was another guy, can't remember his name, but he's a Republican governer somewhere that I had heard about and he sounded good. But again, if I can't even remember his name, he's not doing a good job of getting his message out.

Dave Markowitz, you are absolutely correct about the party getting its head out of its collective posterior, and not just at the presidential level. If the GOP members of Congress don't get it in gear and start taking the fight to the Democrats then we could lose Congress during the mid-term elections in the fall. This would ultimately give the Democrats even more momentum for 2008.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 06:53:59 PM »
I've heard Newt talk a few times on Hannity and IMO he lacks some spark, hook, whatever you wanna call it. When he talks, he sounds like a professor, which I don't mind but consider the unwashed masses. I haven't heard him do a campaign speech so maybe he's different there.

Having said that, I won't dismiss him as a possible choice unless something comes up like he's anti-2A, kills kittens for fun, or something like that.

Almost be interesting to see what the Left does if he does choose to run.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 06:57:42 PM »
I'm sitting here watching "Nightline" while surfing the forum and McCain has been invited to give the commencement speech at Jerry Falwell's Liberty University.

It seems they have "mended fences" as Falwell explained it.

This just keeps getting better and better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 07:16:56 PM »
Quote from: Parker Dean
Having said that, I won't dismiss him as a possible choice unless something comes up like he's anti-2A, kills kittens for fun, or something like that.
At this point, I wouldn't quibble unless he was torturing midgets or other humans for fun.  If that's what it takes to get a decent president, then a few kittens will have to take it for the team.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

client32

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 03:32:51 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Quote from: Parker Dean
At this point, I wouldn't quibble unless he was torturing midgets or other humans for fun.  If that's what it takes to get a decent president, then a few kittens will have to take it for the team.
I was just about to post "killing kittens isn't a deal breaker for me" and then read your post.
I think you stated it better.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2006, 11:18:52 AM »
Newt's in Iowa through the weekend, he told reporters today that he'd consider a run for President in 2008 if he has enough supporters.

http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060428/NEWS09/60428008/1001
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2006, 12:03:21 PM »
Trent Lott is a well-dressed, articulate, engaging southron slimeball.  The man has all the integrity of Chuck Shumer or Dianne Feinstein.  He wants his senate majority leader position back and McCain is his ticket.  Bottom line, Lott may well be the perfect minority leader once republicans finish imploding.  He spent the last 10 years of the democrats rule fighting a rear guard action.  

Here and other gun boards I make liberal use of the term "spinelessrepublicans".  I coined the term to specifically refer to Trent Lott.  I later expanded the designation to include those of Lott's ilk.

Lott is a pathetic human being.  His character flaws make him singularly unqualified to be anywhere near leadership roles in the senate.

Any questions as to what I think of the boob?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 12:24:49 PM »
McCain? When the mercury in hell's thermometer ticks over to 32 degrees Fahrenheit, then I'll consider voting for him. I think a Gingrich / Rice ticket would be just the ahh... ticket.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2006, 01:54:24 PM »
McCain is the poster boy for "Teach a Communist to Shoot" Day... angry

Guiliani is just Ed Koch in a better suit... Tongue

Haley Barbour is OK, but he was responsible for running Bob Dole for President in '96... :/

^^^...same with Newt... Sad

The only saving grace for this country would be to elect another Ronald Reagan or Theodore Roosevelt...but that wouldn't be PC enough for the GOP... angry

Where's Chuck Heston when you need him?... cool
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2006, 04:20:27 PM »
Quote from: charby
Newt's in Iowa through the weekend, he told reporters today that he'd consider a run for President in 2008 if he has enough supporters.
Thats a very creative way of saying "oh hell no, I aint running for president".

bg

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2006, 10:18:46 PM »
Sounds like playing Russian Roulette except in this case the
cylinder is loaded with 5 rounds instead of just 1. Most any way
one looks at it, it's going to be painful for gun rights following
the 08 election, unless a much better choice come around.

What about Gov's Mitch Romney, or Mark Warner ?