Author Topic: Annual property inspection in my community...  (Read 2294 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Annual property inspection in my community...
« on: April 30, 2006, 12:20:04 PM »
NOTE: The following message involves homeowner's associations, and my role as president of my association. Before you start whining about Commufascism, stick your fist in your mouth and keep pushing...

Once a year the management agent and a couple board members walk around the association looking at the homes and the commons grounds for any areas of concern. Homeowners who have serious maintenance issues get a letter notifying them that they have to correct the defect(s).

It's refreshing to see just how many people actually take their contractual agreements with their neighbors (that's what it is when you buy in an HOA) seriously and how few of the properties actually had issues that will require a notification letter.

It was also good to see how many people actually came out and participated in the community clean up of the commons grounds.

I think it's also time for me to paint my house, as much as I don't want to. I won't be getting a letter, but compared to some of the other houses in the community, the paint is looking kind of drab and is starting to chip. It was last painted 14 years ago... Not bad holding power at all.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 02:18:44 PM »
I think wearing an SS uniform would be cool for that job. Cheesy

I got to meet my HOA president and treasurer yeasterday. My neighbor and I were dethatching our lawns which generates a large amount of debris which we dumped into the brambles behind our houses. Someone who didn't lke one of us too well, called the HOA and complained about our dumping. The two gentlemen nervously confronted me about the dumping and told me I shouldn't be dumping in the commons area. I told him "you mean this biodegradable stuff that I'm dumping in the thorns and tag alders which very few people ever see and noone ever walks through that I maintain myself?" He said "yes and try to do something to clean it up" I told him "I'll see what I can do" *wink wink nod nod*
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 02:36:56 PM »
Hell, we encourage people to put their leaves and small yard waste into the wooded and brushy commons areas. Helps the soil.

I think I would have told him "I'll clean it up in 2 or 3 weeks..."

Then, in that time frame, call him and complain that someone stole YOUR yard waste... Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 03:27:04 PM »
Do you check the inside to see if folks are dusting and vacumning regularly, too ?  Tongue

What about dirty dishes in the sink Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh??
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 03:54:51 PM »
I think you should bring a doctor around, too. You know, just to make sure all the community members have the proper diet and health routine. Of course you do read through any journals in the house and review the hard drives for subversive material, right?  What am I talking about, that's a given.

Well, it's good to see that the revolution didn't die with Che.

With love,

Spooky P.

PS- I got my fist stuck inside my mouth, my foot has it wedged in there, is this bad? It's really hard typing one handed.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 04:00:32 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
I think it's also time for me to paint my house, as much as I don't want to. I won't be getting a letter, but compared to some of the other houses in the community, the paint is looking kind of drab and is starting to chip. It was last painted 14 years ago... Not bad holding power at all.
I sure heck would like to know what you painted your house with that lasted 14 years. We gotta paint our house again. The most we ever get is 6-8 years between coats, and that's with almost half the wood bare from so much paint chipped off.
Andy

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 04:09:57 PM »
Tallpine, as much as I detest HOA's, Mike quite clearly stated that they're comprised of people who willingly buy into the concept of having their property and body cavities routinely inspected. In other words, they get the scrutiny they ask for.  As somebody who's never had to live under a HOA, and who never will, I find them of dubious value.  However, as I've learned while working as a contractor in the real estate industry the last few years, "HOA's keep the Comps up".  I'm sure as the real estate bubble subsides these next few months and years, HOA members will scramble to make their properties as attractive as possible, in order to maximize the profit potential of their properties, since they're not appreciating as much over time as they did over the last couple years. That's pretty much the American dream these days, buy property low, sell high, screw you neighbor, I got mine.  It's a strange concept for you in Montana, just as it is for the part of Florida I'm in, and in Wisconsin where I'm moving. But for those forced to live aholes and elbows in high population-density locations, it's the rule of the land, evidently.

Myself, I've got a bid in on a 5 acre farmhouse and barn property in South-Central Wisconsin, about 40 miles from Madison. It's listed at $168,, and talking to my agent, I should get it for somewhat less.  There will be no HOAs there in rural farmland, thank goodness.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 04:14:47 PM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
in South-Central Wisconsin, about 40 miles from Madison.
East, west, north, south of Madison? Which one?
Andy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 05:11:35 PM »
"Do you check the inside to see if folks are dusting and vacumning regularly, too ?  

What about dirty dishes in the sink Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh??"

If I can't see it, I don't care about it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 05:14:38 PM »
"The only thing worse than a persecution complex about the HOA is a persecution complex about HOA bashers. For christ's sake, give it a rest already."

I'm sorry, I couldn't understand you for all the mumbling.

Do you have something caught in your throat?

Have I struck a nerve or something?

Gee, looks like I have...

Excellent. It has been a good day.

Ever hear of the concept of not reading a post if you don't like the content?

Or was Jack Bauer standing behind you with a gun screwed into your ear yelling "READ IT! READ THE POST AND THEN PISS AND WHINE ABOUT IT!"

Didn't I see that I Fox last year?

"I think you should bring a doctor around, too. You know, just to make sure all the community members have the proper diet and health routine."

You think I actually care about the PEOPLE who live in my community?

What gave you that idea?

As long as their houses look good, which helps preserve my property value, they can all eat a nice big dinner of dog *expletive deleted*it and battery acid, for all that I care.

I can only think of two or three people in this community who have the potential to rise above having their skin used as a lamp shade.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 05:16:58 PM »
"I sure heck would like to know what you painted your house with that lasted 14 years."

Previous owners painted it with top of the line Sherwin Williams. I have to admit that I'm shocked as all get out that it has lasted this long without sheeting off.

There are some areas where some small chips have started to develop, but given the fact that my house gets full sun for most of the day, it's amazing that the paint has stood up as well as it has.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 05:27:11 PM »
You think I actually care about the PEOPLE who live in my community?

What gave you that idea?

As long as their houses look good, which helps preserve my property value, they can all eat a nice big dinner of dog *expletive deleted*it and battery acid, for all that I care.
*SNORT*

Damn you Mike.....  Jack and Coke aint supposed to come up out of your nasal cavity and you managed to make me have that reaction.  thanks,  ya commie HOA bastard Wink

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 05:30:32 PM »
"Damn you Mike.....  Jack and Coke aint supposed to come up out of your nasal cavity and you managed to make me have that reaction.  thanks,  ya commie HOA bastard"

You think I'm joking.

I'm not.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 05:59:40 PM »
"I sure heck would like to know what you painted your house with that lasted 14 years."

Previous owners painted it with top of the line Sherwin Williams. I have to admit that I'm shocked as all get out that it has lasted this long without sheeting off.

There are some areas where some small chips have started to develop, but given the fact that my house gets full sun for most of the day, it's amazing that the paint has stood up as well as it has.
Thanks.
Andy

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 06:19:27 PM »
Quote from: Blackburn
Looks like I nailed a sensitive spot.

You seem obsessed with tainting perfectly good and/or interesting posts with the points that a) you are very proud of being your local HOA president, b) you think everyone is out to get HOAs, c) there will inevitably be an argument and you are valiantly defending your respective side in advance.

a) Have a cookie.
b) Stop the passive aggressive bullshit.
c) 90% of the back and forth wankery on this board about HOAs is your fault.
d) Jack Bauer pees standing down in my presence.
I live in a rural community, without a homeowners association for exactly the reason that I don't want have to deal with aholes telling me what to do with my own property. Consequently I have to deal with aholes cluttering up the property next to mine with a guy living in a schoolbus, and abandoned rat-infested trailers. Actually, they were there before I bought my property, so should I really have a right to gripe?

Maybe I should just clutter up another gun forum going on and on about how all homeowners association people are nazis and how happy I am to be able to build a porch on my own house without permission from the local aholes. Or about how I hate living next to pigs.

You perfectly nailed it alright. Has there been any discussion on this message board about Homeowners associations that wasn't started by Mike Irwin?

Give it a rest Mike.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2006, 06:21:06 PM »
I don't have any nerves to hit.

You're right, I LIKE making the anti-HOA crowd squirm like a bunch of little girls who inadvertently sat on hot peppers...

Tell you what...

Why don't you and I hold hands and look at all of the posts that have been made about HOAs on this board since it started...

You'll eat your 90% words with a big old heaping helping of Commie Sauce and Fascist Flakes.

HOAs were mentioned a number of times without passing comment in the months following this board's establishment...

Then Masterpiece Arms decided to ignite the fuse with some screed out HOAs being communism desguised as luxury and convenience, and it was off at the races.

But, we're back to a point that I made earlier, Mr. Bauer...

If threads such as these piss you off so much, why do you read them?

Have you always had a problem with poor impulse control, or is it just a recent thing?

Tell you what, I'll make you a deal.

In the future, if I write anything about my HOA, I'll put HOA in the title.

That way you'll be warned to avoid it.

Why am I getting a mental image of a moth to a flame all of a sudden...

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2006, 06:28:04 PM »
I can only think of two or three people in this community who have the potential to rise above having their skin used as a lamp shade.
deleted for the poor taste of responding in kind.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2006, 06:35:07 PM »
"Maybe I should just clutter up another gun forum going on and on about how all homeowners association people are nazis and how happy I am to be able to build a porch on my own house without permission from the local aholes. Or about how I hate living next to pigs..."

Funny, I never realized that this was a GUN forum, given that it was split off of a gun forum in the first place...

"Anybody who talks about their neighbors like that ought to be locked up."

If the thought police knock on my door, please let them know I'm out walking my dogs...

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2006, 06:46:52 PM »
If the thought police knock on my door, please let them know I'm out walking my dogs...
I won't be getting anywhere near your residence or anywhere you might be so you don't need to worry about that.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2006, 08:11:35 PM »
"I won't be getting anywhere near your residence or anywhere you might be so you don't need to worry about that."

Kiss kiss hug hug.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2006, 09:51:51 PM »
These HOA threads are entirely too entertaining.  Both sides are so amusing.
Maybe I'm just too easily amused.  Yeah, that's probably it.
Back to watching Mythbusters.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 03:00:44 AM »
I am bitterly disappointed.Sad

I read nothing around rounding up hillbillies and giving them a mass GI shower.  As well, the part about making hilljacks do yardwork at the point of a bayonet as you set fire to their NASCAR collection was somehow left out.

Continue to fight them, Fearless Leader.  We are all behind you.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2006, 03:26:51 AM »
"Back to watching Mythbusters."

Now that's entertainment...

Scotti, Kerri...

We need you to saw something...

I don't care what, just saw something. No, don't use the power saws, use those dull hacksaws...

That's right...

It's hot today, better take off the sweaters...

I know the blades are dull, but dull blades provide better (jiggling) control.... Yeah, that's the story that works...

SAW DAMMIT!

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2006, 03:34:31 AM »
Nothing wrong with a property owners' association, so long as the rules aren't nit-picky.   Don't need the sort of crap that would be likely from the mind of an IRS accountant. Smiley

Terlingua Ranch, some 200,000 acres all carved up into mostly 20- and 40-acre tracts, has a POA.  One group of board members started getting officious about "can do" and "can't do" stuff.  "No hunting from public roads" was one bright idea.  I had to point out that the roads weren't public.  The land belongs to the tract owners.  There was only an easement for access for road grading and for all landowners to traverse the 1,100 miles of roads for sight-seeing.  "Oh.  Oops."  Back to somnolence.  Some folks just can't help being busybodies...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2006, 04:52:13 AM »
Generally, HOAs have a common interest:  Maintaining the value of the property.  Yeah there's a chance of little Hitlers gaining power but that's often applicable to other aspects of one's life.

For me, the positive effect of HOAs is maintaining the value of rentals.   Smiley

For the rest of you all saying you would "never" live in an HOA.  Well hold on their a second.  Aren't city councils a form of HOA and how about your friendly building and zoning department?  In most rural areas county commisions or boards have a fair amount of control over what people do with their property.

We've good rules, bad rules, inefective rules, we've rules to spare.  Would you like to take a few rules home with you?
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!