Author Topic: Wolf being Delisted!  (Read 1227 times)

Polishrifleman

• friend
Wolf being Delisted!
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:04:37 AM »
Hot off the press for the Northern Rocky Region.

Wolf delisting rule final
Official delisting in 30 days
by Cat Urbigkit, Pinedale Online!
February 21, 2008
The gray wolf population in the Northern Rocky Mountains is thriving and no longer requires the protection of the Endangered Species Act, Deputy Secretary of the Interior Lynn Scarlett announced today. As a result, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will remove the species from the federal list of threatened and endangered species.

The wolf population in the Northern Rockies has far exceeded its recovery goal and continues to expand its size and range. States, tribes, conservation groups, federal agencies and citizens of both regions can be proud of their roles in this remarkable conservation success story, said Scarlett, noting that there are currently more than 1,500 wolves and at least 100 breeding pairs in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming.

FWS-approved state management plans will provide a secure future for the wolf population once Endangered Species Act protections are removed and the states assume full management of wolf populations within their borders.

The northern Rocky Mountain DPS includes all of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming, as well as the eastern one-third of Washington and Oregon, and a small part of north-central Utah.

The minimum recovery goal for wolves in the northern Rocky Mountains was set at a minimum of 30 breeding pairs (a breeding pair represents a successfully reproducing wolf pack) and a minimum of 300 individual wolves for at least three consecutive years.

This goal was achieved in 2002, and the wolf population has expanded in size and range every year since.

These wolves have shown an impressive ability to breed and expand  they just needed an opportunity to establish themselves in the Rockies. The Service and its partners provided that opportunity, and now its time to integrate wolves into the states overall wildlife management efforts, said Service Director H. Dale Hall.

Gray wolves were previously listed as endangered in the lower 48 states, except in Minnesota, where they were listed as threatened. The wolf population in the Midwest was delisted in early 2007. When the delisting of the Rocky Mountain population takes effect 30 days from its publication in the Federal Register, the Service will oversee the only remaining gray wolf recovery program, for the southwestern U.S. wolf population.

The delisting announced today affects only the northern Rocky Mountain population of gray wolves. Gray wolves found outside of the Rocky Mountain and Midwest recovery areas, including the southwest wolf population, remain protected under the Endangered Species Act and are not affected by actions taken today.

Wyoming state law was changed to give Wyoming Game and Fish Department the legal authority to maintain the wolf population of at least 15 breeding pairs and at least 150 wolves in mid-winter, including maintaining at least 7 wolf breeding pairs in suitable habitat in northwestern Wyoming outside the national parks  consistent with the requirements of the Act. Service Director H. Dale Hall approved Wyomings plan on December 15, 2007, conditional on it becoming fully effective under Wyoming State law, which should happen in March 2008. The plan must be in effect before the delisting rule becomes effective 30 days after its publication.

Related Links
FWS Gray wolf homepage - Learn all about the delisting rule here.
Wolf Watch - By Cat Urbigkit

Pinedale Online > News > February 2008 > Wolves officially delisted today 

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Wolf being Delisted!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 09:16:12 AM »
Be fine if I didn't expect it to just seesaw again.

Wolves nearly hunted into extinction

Wolves put on endangered list.

Wolves recover.

Wolves taken off endangered list.

Wolves nearly hunted into extinction.

Etc...

One of these times, it might be too late when they're put on the list. Japan has no wolves at all because they killed them all, and two entire subspecies with a unique appearance, Hokkaido Wolves and Honshu Wolves, were lost forever. They are extinct. We could take a lesson from that, and not let the "management" be "every POS who wants a wolf skin on their wall to brag about goes and nails pack alphas right before winter", which is what I'm afraid will happen.

And that "wolf watch" group seems to be composed of the kind of a**hole ranchers who think all open public land is their own personal taxpayer-subsidized range to let their bloated herds devour and foul the water on, and don't want anyone else on it, wolves or humans trying to enjoy the great outdoors.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 01:10:43 PM »
In other words, Manedwolf has to start ducking again....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 01:19:14 PM »
Bleh, I do not consider myself much of a preservationist. Wolf-shmulf. There are useful species and there are not so useful species. If the wolves help maintain some equilibrium, great. Otherwise, go on the wall, sparky. Frankly, with all the people on this planet, the top predator role is already taken and thus many other predators seem superfluous.

The question is if the two-legged predators are as efficient at weeding out the weak from the herd as are the four-legged ones. My guess is, no. The two-legged ones cheat (they use boomsticks) and weed out the strongest because they want a more impressive trophy. So, just as in society, the weak thrive to the detriment of the gene pool. That does raise the question if it would not be in the long-term interest of the two-legged predators to weed out the idiots within their own ranks...

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 01:38:56 PM »
Woot! Can't wait to peg me an alpha male for the wall; preferrably right before winter of course. I wonder if they'll issue permits for an entire pack? I hear the pup's pelts make fine slippers.

Unless we can train 'em to eat spotted owls or condors wolves are just big coyotes. Fun to shoot, nice pelts. 'Cept all the sierra club hippies don't get all weepy over the little uns.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 01:56:58 PM »
Wolves are now going to be managed as a big game species in MT, just like bears and mountain lions.  Once an animal becomes sporting game, they are never hunted to extinction  rolleyes

What gets me is that I read in another article that $27 million has been spent on the wolf reintroduction and maintenance program, and they still say they don't know where the money for "management" is going to come from.  Seems to me that the wolves are "managing" pretty good all on their own.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 02:10:10 PM »
Wolves are now going to be managed as a big game species in MT, just like bears and mountain lions.  Once an animal becomes sporting game, they are never hunted to extinction  rolleyes

Uh, yeah, pretty much. Last American animal hunted to death I can think of is passenger pigeons. Bison were a commercial not sport proposition.

Hell, I'm not sure I can think of any animal that's went extinct from sport ie non-meat,  fur/feather, or crop/animal protection hunting. And loss of habitat generally plays almost as big a role as any kind of hunting.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.