Author Topic: So tell me about your best impressions  (Read 9249 times)

grampster

• friend
Re: So tell me about your best impressions
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 07:16:57 PM »
I'd say ditch the flower idea.  Maybe wave a little Hoppe's #9 under her nose. =D =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 07:21:11 PM »
grampster, an old romantic he is.  =D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Kyle

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 03:53:40 AM »
Ok, no flowers. Flowers, no flowers? How many, roses or not? Wayyyyyy too complicated.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 04:13:34 AM »
Ok, no flowers. Flowers, no flowers? How many, roses or not? Wayyyyyy too complicated.
There are some people - I'm not sure this rule applies in American culture - that think an even number of flowers is only appropriate for funerals.

Roses are nice. But what you should, IMO, do, is pick some other flower with nice symbolism. Then, when you give it to her, say something about how you picked out flower X, because 'In Mongolian mythology, Daisies mean Y'. OR something. This would show you put thought into it (even if in reality you just put Googling).

The point is, you must show you really put thought into it and not just went through the motions. Going through the motions = bad.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 05:06:50 AM »

I vote for no flowers until you get to know her better.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Kyle

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2008, 02:13:13 PM »
Follow-up!

So, I decided to take her to a nice, small, quiet, but not over-the-top expensive Mediterranean place that she had never been to, but in an area she is familiar with.

Best part is, she had never had Med food and wasn't even really sure what to expect. So, being the expert I am (used to work in the kitchen of a Med restaurant) I was able to talk a little bit about the food, help her pick what to order, etc.

She is a wine person (I am too) which she had talked about, so I said "why don't you pick a bottle of wine," which I think she appreciated. She picked a pretty good wine too.

We did three courses and had a really good time. The two main reservations I had about her (which are long stories) were neatly cleared up last night, so I am ready to move forward and see where this goes.

I don't think I totally WOWed her like I wanted to, but I think it went really well. I said "I would definitely like to see you again soon." She said "Me too, let me know what your work schedule is like next week."

So I feel like I am as solid as is possible by the first/second date. I took ya'lls advice; no flowers, no going out of my way to try and impress her, etc. Seems it worked out.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2008, 02:17:36 PM »
Because you obviously didn't follow grampster's advice to wave a little Hoppes #9 under her nose, I wouldn't be quite so optomistic, if I were you.  =D

Seriously, it sounds like it went well.  Good deal.  Check back with updates from time to time.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2008, 03:13:55 PM »
There are some people - I'm not sure this rule applies in American culture - that think an even number of flowers is only appropriate for funerals.
I've heard that that's a Russian thing, but I haven't seen it in the US. They tend to sell roses and other things in groups of a dozen. It may be different in other areas of the country.

Sounds like the dates have gone well. Congrats. Make sure to tune in to APS for all future dating advice.  =D

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2008, 03:34:28 PM »
we need a "worst impressions" thread  more fun
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »

She is a wine person (I am too) which she had talked about, so I said "why don't you pick a bottle of wine," which I think she appreciated. She picked a pretty good wine too.

So I feel like I am as solid as is possible by the first/second date. I took ya'lls advice; no flowers, no going out of my way to try and impress her, etc. Seems it worked out.

I am by no means an expert on women.

In fact, I am rather oblivious. My wife tells me I had pretty much all the girls we both knew interested in me at one time.

I still don't believe it. (I think I'm a nerd, she thinks otherwise).

However, I do know one thing: Pay attention. You'd be AMAZED at the results.

I am blessed with an amazing memory. As such, anytime she mentions anything she likes or is interested in or wishes she has, it gets filed away.

She still almost cries (or does cry, depending on how touching it is) when I get something for her that she has mentioned. She discovered one of her Christmas presents (I didn't get it out of the suitcase in time) and was so touched- she then tells me: "It's my favorite one!" I already knew this because I paid attention.

As for the rest of it, people have given you good advice: ALWAYS be yourself (if you want it to last); be a gentleman; don't be too forward.

But it looks like you are off on the right foot. Keep it up and keep paying attention. (You noticed she was interested in wines. Keep noticing things like that, it will impress her immensely.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

crawdaddyjim

• Alien
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2008, 07:47:15 PM »
The advice to be observant is spot on. If she is a potential long term relationship then it would be in your very best interests to pay attention to her. Close attention. She will tell you in one way or another exactly what she wants, needs, and likes. Be comfortable in your own skin and what ever you do. DO NOT EMBELLISH, LEAVE OUT, OR OTHERWISE DISTORT THE TRUTH. Women are security oriented (even the adventurous ones) and if she thinks you can't tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth she will dump you like a hot rock. Unless she is a whoouh herself in which case you didn't want it to go anywhere anyway.

Jim

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2008, 07:58:47 PM »
Responding to the OP...

"Woof Woof Woof Woof !... That's my other dog impression"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5cL-h3Pj1o