Author Topic: WMD Picutres  (Read 3089 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
WMD Picutres
« on: January 15, 2009, 12:14:05 PM »

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: WMD Picutres
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:09:20 PM »
Say, why were gadget, littleboy and fatman so different from each other?  They were built more or less side by side, at the same time, by the same people.  Why didn't they turn out more similar? 

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 08:18:19 PM »
The test bomb and Fat Man were similar in design. If I understand correctly, they had a sphere of plutonium surrounded by a shell of high explosive. Setting the explosive off compressed the sphere enough to make it mad. Put fins on the test bomb and you've got Fat Man. Little boy had two chunks of plutonium, the bigger one fixed in place with a cone-shaped depression on one side; the other was cone-shaped and was fired down a barrel to slam into the hole in the bigger chunk, hence the longer, skinnier shape. What surprises me is that they chose to drop the untested design first.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 08:18:32 PM »
They were different designs.  Fat Man and Trinity were both Plutonium devices, and thus had a core of plutonium surrounded by high explosives.  Little Boy was a uranium bomb, where 2 halves of a critical mass are held a distance apart, and then slammed together for detonation.  According to wikipedia, Fat Man was a design adapted from Trinity. 

Fat Man

Little Boy
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 08:19:58 PM »
Hey, I was close.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 08:20:24 PM »
Say, why were gadget, littleboy and fatman so different from each other?  They were built more or less side by side, at the same time, by the same people.  Why didn't they turn out more similar? 

They were trying different design architectures. Little boy uses the shotgun charge, it uses explosive to shoot a chunk of fissile material into the core, plugging the hole, making it a solid piece. Fat man uses a more advanced explosive control, it uses a shell of explosive perfectly balanced to around a shell of fissile. The explosive implodes the fissile into a solid ball. This is much more efficient and gives higher yield. But it is also much more difficult to get the perfectly balanced ignition switching and mass distribution right for it to work.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 08:22:08 PM »
Wow, you guys are fast on the draw.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 08:41:37 PM »
Just good timing. I had just logged on. Plus it helps to just go off half-cocked without doing any research.  :lol:

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 09:04:35 PM »
....Plus it helps to just go off half-cocked without doing any research.  :lol:

No guts, no glory.
7-11 was a part time job.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 09:54:51 AM »
Here's a question for the guru's:  Wasn't there a "Clean" H bomb developed that used conventional explosives to compress a lead sphere that compressed Deuterium and Tritium in the core?

I seem to recall hearing that somewhere, but have no idea how true or accurate it is.  May be a propaganda piece from the cold war.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 02:45:08 PM »
Here's a question for the guru's:  Wasn't there a "Clean" H bomb developed that used conventional explosives to compress a lead sphere that compressed Deuterium and Tritium in the core?

I seem to recall hearing that somewhere, but have no idea how true or accurate it is.  May be a propaganda piece from the cold war.

AFAIK, all H bombs had a "conventional" fission trigger bomb, and tritium and Lithium Deturide is/was packed in/around that in various configurations to get the fusion secondary.

Chemical explosions alone won't create the needed pressure and temperature to strip off the electrons from the Fusion fuel's atoms and get them to squash together.

You might be able to get a small amount of tritium to fuse with a compressive chemical explosive, similar to the way laser inertial confinement blasts a tritium "BB" to make a fusion pulse, but what you'd get (In fusion output) would be a laboratory curiosity only. The ICF laser test fusion devices would have to fire like machine-guns over and over to make a useful power plant.

I promise not to duck.

Physics

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 02:52:05 PM »

That I don't know.  The only devices I know about are what AJ described. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 05:01:03 PM »
Conventional explosives don't deliver the energy needing to initiate a fusion reaction in the core. Conventional explosives initiate the fission reaction which, in turn, supplied the energy to the secondary.

You can get a darn good layman's description of fusion and boosted fission devices in Tom Clancy's The Sum of All Fears.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Physics

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 06:03:36 PM »
Conventional explosives don't deliver the energy needing to initiate a fusion reaction in the core. Conventional explosives initiate the fission reaction which, in turn, supplied the energy to the secondary.

You can get a darn good layman's description of fusion and boosted fission devices in Tom Clancy's The Sum of All Fears.

Brad
That was my intro.

Lbys

• This cone is the ultimate power in the universe.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 07:33:05 PM »
I might be recalling incorrectly, but I read "Dark Sun" last summer, and I don't think that true fusion devices are deployed.  Edward Teller was really devoted to developing a true fusion device (whereby nuclei of D2 or T2 are fused into He + Energy), and I think he succeeded with the "Ivy Mike" device, but it weighed something like 20 tons and had an associated cryogenic plant to go along with it.

If I understand correctly, thermonuclear devices are really just intensified fission bombs.  Primary fission sets off secondary low-efficiency fusion which in turn produces a crap-ton of neutrons that greatly increase the efficiency of any remaining fission reactions.

Thoughts?  I'm guessing the guy with the gnarly equations might be able to correct me.
Correlation does not indicate causation.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 08:08:45 PM »
I might be recalling incorrectly, but I read "Dark Sun" last summer, and I don't think that true fusion devices are deployed.  Edward Teller was really devoted to developing a true fusion device (whereby nuclei of D2 or T2 are fused into He + Energy), and I think he succeeded with the "Ivy Mike" device, but it weighed something like 20 tons and had an associated cryogenic plant to go along with it.

If I understand correctly, thermonuclear devices are really just intensified fission bombs.  Primary fission sets off secondary low-efficiency fusion which in turn produces a crap-ton of neutrons that greatly increase the efficiency of any remaining fission reactions.

Thoughts?  I'm guessing the guy with the gnarly equations might be able to correct me.

Yep,

The majority of "H-bombs" are just "fusion enhanced" where you get more efficient fission of the heavy metals. The contribution to the actual energy yield of the fusion is negligible. It is indeed the extra neutrons to get more heavy metal nuclei to split before the energy release from the fission spreads it away and you lose efficiency.

I believe there were some two stage devices that were weaponized and deliverable, but the advent of the ICBM, especially the MIRV and improvments in targeting ended that.

The overkill was because of targeting uncertainty and delivery uncertainty. (bombers getting shot down) Missiles ended that.
I promise not to duck.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 09:14:15 PM »
Those are some great pics at the link...

I've got the B-1 as my desktop wallpaper now...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!