Author Topic: That's a bad shoot right there...  (Read 13452 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: That's a bad shoot right there...
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2009, 09:32:19 PM »
the magical secret information the cops grand juryhave that make this all ok.

and nothin could ever make a man killed wrongfully ok

it is however sadly legal though.  or at least a grand jury composed of regular folks who got to look at all the evidence as well as ask questions decided it was.  maybe some of you folks have info they don't
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2009, 10:57:50 PM »

it is however sadly legal though.  or at least a grand jury composed of regular folks who got to look at all the evidence as well as ask questions decided it was.  maybe some of you folks have info they don't

From experience being on a jury, I would have little confidence in them reaching a proper decision even with all of the story presented.  But, unfortunately, I have even less confidence that they actually did have access to the whole story.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2009, 12:38:36 AM »

First, I doubt all the evidence made it in. A complicit prosecutor and nothing but cops for witnesses? And, of course, they were considering whether or not Agent Billy was right to be afraid, with nothing being said about whether or not Agent Billy should have put himself in that position or not.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2009, 06:54:56 AM »

it is however sadly legal though.  or at least a grand jury composed of regular folks who got to look at all the evidence the evidence the state wanted them to see as well as ask questions decided it was.  maybe some of you folks have info they don't

I'd be interested in what those jury members might say about exactly which evidence was presented.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2009, 11:52:31 AM »
Let me get this straight - you are stating that cops must accost a citizen in masse and without identifying themselves as cops, so as not to get shot at ???

No, I do not think I have said that or indicated it in any way. In a post preceding yours, I said that the response must match the reasonably perceived threat. A routine traffic stop can and should be done by a single uniformed officer in a patrol car, because it is a routine traffic stop, e.g. for moving violation of some sort. But, if the police is trying to stop or arrest somebody suspected to be potentially a violent drug-related criminal, the perceived threat is much bigger, and that justifies a commeasurate  response.

I do not believe it is fair or practical to expect a flesh-and-blood cop to just walk alone and on foot to a suspected violent armed criminal and try to arrest him in the same way as he would distribute parking tickets. That is insane. Nobody in the right mind would want to do that job.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2009, 11:55:43 AM »
I wonder, if it is kosher to felony stop a pastor who gave a drug user a ride, is it kosher to:

1. "Felony stop" an entire bus or subway car if a drug user used public transpo?

2. Perhaps a SWATtie type raid on Mickey Ds if the drug user pops in to assuage a mean case of the munchies?

3. If a drug user happens to be my sister-in-law and comes over to celebrate my child's 5th birthday, is  a SWATtie type raid justified on Casa jfruser and is Officer Neckvein justified in shooting the kid whacking the pinata if he doesn't go supine quickly enough?

Come on, dude. That is not a fair comparison. You don't give rides in your car to total strangers, especially drug users. Then again I live in a megapolis, where you can meet the best and the worst of humanity, so maybe my social gauge is off.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2009, 12:00:10 PM »
I do not believe it is fair or practical to expect a flesh-and-blood cop to just walk alone and on foot to a suspected violent armed criminal and try to arrest him in the same way as he would distribute parking tickets. That is insane. Nobody in the right mind would want to do that job.

Instead, you feel it's okay for them to go all tactical, which creates a situation that (in your words)
The reason why I mention this episode is to illustrate how things could have gone wrong. What if the cops were not as fast and determined? What if they had give the lady a chance to reach for a gun or decide to make an escape? That would have put them, me, and other bystanders, and likely the suspect, in bigger danger. The bottom line is the cops could not be certain of the outcome or the reaction.

No.  They need to use another option.  I can't have Agent Billy getting scared, wetting his pants, and shooting at anything that scares him.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2009, 12:02:01 PM »
You don't give rides in your car to total strangers, especially drug users.
I don't, and you don't, but might a pastor?
D. R. ZINN

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2009, 12:18:16 PM »
i do sometimes too.  and sometimes the folks you know aren't much better.   my friend that was murdered a month ago was killed by a neighbor.  the murdered man introduced me to his killer a few years back   said he was a nice guy  you never know.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2009, 12:19:14 PM »
I don't understand how anyone who actually watched the video could claim that the pastor in question attempted to run anyone over.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2009, 12:25:39 PM »
You missed the point entirely. The cops created the life threatening situation, you cannot exclude the prologue when talking about the epilogue, you lose all context.
How about this situation

Epilogue: I shoot and kill a man attempting to stab me with a knife.

That would be a valid self defense situation, correct?

Prologue: I break into someone's home and awaken the homeowner.
Epilogue: I shoot and kill a man attempting to stab me with a knife.

Is that still a valid self defense situation? Should I now be cleared for murder based on the Epilogue? I was about to get stabbed. I was in fear for my life. Should I be exonerated for murder? The prologue and epilogue are intertwined and you need the whole story to draw a valid conclusion.  The biggest difference between hypothetical situations on THR and here is that the cops injected themselves into this situation, by drawing a gun, stepping out of their truck, and in the path of another car; they created the danger to their lives themselves. If it was a CCW'er the advice would be to avoid confrontation at all cost, don't get out of the car, drive away, don't draw / brandish a gun unless your life is in danger, and don't move into the path of a moving car! I can't jump into the middle of the road and the shoot the driver coming at me claiming self defense, I created the life threatening situation, which is essentially what the cops did .

I have already admitted that the cops could have handled it better in this particular situation. However, in the general comparison above, the cop does not have the luxury to "walk away". He has to put himself and the suspect into a high-risk situation. He has to initiate a confrontation to do his job of making the arrest. That is inevitable, unless the reason for the arrest disappears, e.g. drug are made legal.

Very flimsy connection if any. They passed busting the woman, their actual target twice on drug charges but when they see a man that gave her a ride and dropped her off they decided that they must felony stop him now.  How does that logical connection go because I can't see it.

We certainly do not know all the details for the particular case. However, in general, why would it be unreasonable for the cops to suspect that ride was a purchase drive, and that the vehicle contained narcotics? She was a known drug offender. I am not a lawyer and do not know what constitutes a legally reasonable pretext for a felony stop. All I can do is speculate and think using common sense and the info given.

No I listed no rule, don't assume my intent, a car weaving on the road is a good indicator that the driver is drunk and even if he isn't its still a reason to pull them over, reckless driving.  A more accurate example would be you leaving the Taco Bell and cops pulling a felon stop on you for reasonable suspicion of possession of  marijuana. The cops had NO evidence of a crime, they witnessed nothing indicating that drugs were being used or distributed by the pastor. What reasonable suspicion are you talking about?

Same point as above. I do not know what is legally reasonable for a felony stop. My defense of their "shock and awe" approach is predicated on the assumption that they had a sensible reason to suspect the driver was involved illegal drug activities. So, in a sense, we are arguing about different aspects of the same event.

Where are you making this stuff up from? The guy was a pastor not a violent drug criminal,

Did they know his was not, at the time of the attempted arrest? Was it reasonable for them to suspect he was at that time? The headlines say "A pastor gets shot in a botched drug arrest!" but when you are the cop on the ground, you do not have a god-like knowledge of 20/20 hindsight. You are there, with your gun, and your colleagues, and you are facing the unknown. You do not see a pastor, you see a drug driver running over one of your buddies. And you react.

Second off I acknowledged that traffic stops are the most dangerous part of police work, but that doesn't mean there getting murdered daily. Cops being killed in the line of duty are actually pretty rare statistically. In NYC I can only think of one example in recent years of a cop being killed in a traffic stop. Being scared of getting shot in not a reason to conduct themselves in this manor, they increased the likelihood of them being injured specifically by their own tactics. Even if this was a violent felon that just makes this stop even worse, they allowed him to reach a 2000lbs weapon, failed to actually box his car in, and then got in the path of the car.  If this guy really was a violent felon that department would probably have had a run over officer.

Again, they could have and should have handled the particular case better, especially since they could have got him before he reached the car. But, we are talking about a generic situation and what is justifiable as police tactics in general. Also, I am not certain what the point of the statistics is. Do you mean to say they should be gentler and take more chances, because they do not get killed as much (how much is much?)?

Ok let me amend that, have a marked car do a felony stop. Do you think this situation would have come out differently if the pastor would have been given a chance to know that actual cops where pulling him over? When cops are getting shot daily, I'll accept felony stops on all traffic stops, but until then if you don't have actual proof of a crime don't felony stop random cars.  What proof did these cops have that this guy was violent? Don't say their actual target because she was involved in drugs because they turned a blind eye to her drug buying ways twice, yet some random guy was of greater concern than the target of an actual police investigation.

Again, that was not a traffic stop. They tried to arrest him on suspected involvement in narcotics, which raises the threat bar enormously. Which is why we need to legalize the drugs, de-fund the criminals and their organizations, and take the teeth out of a social phenomenon that makes law enforcement adopt in self-defense the kind of tactics and morbid expectations that get people killed by the generated high-risk situations.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2009, 01:51:39 PM »
CA: let me spell this out for you, as you seem to have missed it the first time.

When I was in Iraq, we regularly stopped cars/raided houses we suspected contained terrorists/sniper cells/bomb makers etc, using LESS aggressive tactics than the Keystone Kops in this video. If these cops are too cowardly to approach suspects in non-violent and aggressive ways, they need to stop being cops. It is not reasonable to treat everyone who's "crime" is giving a ride (to a non-violent drug offender) as though it's a barricaded hostage or active shooter scenario.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2009, 02:25:39 PM »
Balog's right.  We use less aggressive tactics in a REAL war, then these yahoos chose to use on a city street. and one of the reasons we use less aggressive tactics in Iraq is to limit innocent casulties, something LE in the states should be even more worried about.

What exactly had this man done that would lead these guys to believe he was either violent or armed?  You do know there are bunches of actual drug users in this country that aren't violent sociopaths, right?  Even if he was involved in his passenger's drugs, that's no indication that he's violent and armed, that's an indication that he uses drugs.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2009, 03:06:07 PM »
Come on, dude. That is not a fair comparison. You don't give rides in your car to total strangers, especially drug users. Then again I live in a megapolis, where you can meet the best and the worst of humanity, so maybe my social gauge is off.

1. It doesn't have to be a total stranger, just someone the LEOs are giving the hairy eyeball.

I have not run criminal background checks on all my neighbors, fellow parishioners, and work colleagues(1), so who knows?  Heck, I have only run one BG check on one person I am related to(2) (blood or marriage).  I have more cousins than I can shake a stick at.  Odds are that one or more has come to the attention of John Q. Law.

2. I have had folks who were drug users, some former & some not so much former, in my automobile or a work auto I was driving for various reasons. 

Back when I was working the summers during HS & college, I was in the minority with my squeaky-clean record.  That, my size, my demeanor, and my valid DL made me foreman and driver within a week of being hired.  I ran crews chock full of convicted drug users, a guy who beat the living shitte out of a cop, and even a couple of murderers.

More recently, volunteer work at mission churches, homeless shelters, and pregnancy crisis clinics bring me in contact with folks with records.  I don't give them the keys to my house & auto, but they might catch a ride with me down to Home Depot to pick up some materials or some such.

What it all boils down to is that the LEOs ought to have more in order to stop/arrest someone than close proximity (for a time) with another suspect.

(1) My employer and DSS do that for me in the case of fellow workers...but it can take a while for a state/local run-in with the law to come on DSS's radar.  Years, in fact.

(2) That person was to live with us for a few months.  The BG check showed no crimes against people and no property crimes.  That includes both arrests & convictions.  There were a couple of victimless crimes which made me alter the conditions on which the person was to stay with us.  I included, "No alcohol or recreational drug use of any kind while living under my roof. Period.  No discussion."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2009, 03:13:23 PM »
Cops being killed in the line of duty are actually pretty rare statistically.

From memory the number killed in gun fights bobbles between 40 and 60 a year.  The number is about the same as those killed in traffic accidents while on the job.  It's by no means a "safe" job but certainly not the most dangerous.  Farming is more likely to get you killed than policing.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2009, 05:40:32 PM »

Would it be fair or practical to expect cops to wear uniforms and drive marked vehicles with the lights on?  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2009, 01:04:11 AM »
Would it be fair or practical to expect cops to wear uniforms and drive marked vehicles with the lights on?  ;/

Nope.  Somebody might swallow the drugs.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2009, 09:08:41 PM »
Nope.  Somebody might swallow the drugs.

Sounds like a self-correcting problem to me...