Author Topic: that child abduction case is interesting , isn't it?  (Read 3042 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: that child abduction case is interesting , isn't it?
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 05:52:49 PM »
I officially recant my earlier musings on Hornbeck, I gave Elizabeth Smart the benefit of a doubt
and Hornbeck deserves the same.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 06:19:41 PM »
Elizabeth Smart?  Does anyone else remember who that is?  I sure don't.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2007, 06:45:55 PM »
Mormon blond girl, taken by crazy religious guy to be a bride.  He had her for a while, messed up her head nice.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2007, 07:24:29 PM »
Something I would like my children to feel confident in is that daddy can take care of mommy and everyone else, and is going to turn over every stone until he finds me.

"I'll kill your parents."

"I'd like to see you try scumbag, my dad will have your head on a pike soon enough".

I want to be the scariest person (to others) my kid can imagine so i can't be used against them.  My nieces are leaning that way, between their father and I, they don't think there's a tougher man in the world.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2007, 07:45:13 PM »
A good thought, carebear.  Can't imagine anyone being afraid of you, but...  Tongue

Elizabeth Smart, how soon we forget.  I still remember the tagline she stole from Christ; "Thou sayest."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 07:48:40 PM »
I did say I was going to try to convince childrengrin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 07:49:42 PM »
No, really, it is a good way to approach that issue. 

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2007, 07:56:20 PM »
We see it in real life with kids.  Even adults sometimes.  Women going away with kidnappers because they're told their husbands or kids will be hurt.

I don't want to give up that kind of leverage, concern for me should always be the last thought in my family's mind.  I'm not Rambo or anything, but unless there's video of me tied up somewhere, I want my family laughing at that kind of threat.

Strings

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2007, 03:16:13 AM »
someone once threatened my father with hurting me: dad just laughed, and asked how the guy'd deal with the blood-loss...

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2007, 04:03:31 AM »
A good thought, carebear.  Can't imagine anyone being afraid of you, but...  Tongue

Elizabeth Smart, how soon we forget.  I still remember the tagline she stole from Christ; "Thou sayest."

Oh those carebears scare the everloving *expletive deleted*it out of me....I run when I see 'em....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2007, 08:25:33 AM »
Something I would like my children to feel confident in is that daddy can take care of mommy and everyone else, and is going to turn over every stone until he finds me.

"I'll kill your parents."

"I'd like to see you try scumbag, my dad will have your head on a pike soon enough".

I want to be the scariest person (to others) my kid can imagine so i can't be used against them.  My nieces are leaning that way, between their father and I, they don't think there's a tougher man in the world.

An old online buddy of mine once said "whatever doesn't kill me had better run like hell." Apply that to this... have a perp who'd mess with a kid we're anyways related to believing he's in for it.

I remember Elizabeth Smart, but didn't hear too many details of that case to know she'd started talking in King James.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2007, 08:41:01 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Smart_%28abductee%29

As the police officers questioned her, Elizabeth initially identified herself to them as "Augustine" - an alias given to her by Mitchell. But she also said, "I know what you're thinking. You guys think I'm that Elizabeth Smart girl who ran away". When pressed further by the officers to admit that she was indeed Elizabeth Smart, she finally said, "Thou sayest," a possible reference to the Gospel of Matthew in the Bible, in which Pontius Pilate repeatedly questions Jesus about his identity. Officer Victor Quezada said he "took that as a 'Yes.'"