Author Topic: Testosterone Week  (Read 1815 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Testosterone Week
« on: January 14, 2013, 09:47:40 AM »

The Art of Manliness is doing Testosterone Week this week - articles on testosterone and its effects. Interesting first article, though I'm wondering about their sample sets for their baseline. I don't remember testosterone or testosterone tests being discussed that much twenty years ago, so am curious on who all was getting tested.

http://artofmanliness.com/2013/01/13/testosterone-week-intro/

EDIT: The malware warning seems to have been corrected. I was able to go to the site without getting the warning message, so reactivated the link here.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:29:02 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Testosterone Week
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 05:37:16 PM »
I think I'll stick to Power Thirst for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3qncy5Qfk (adjust your volume before clicking this link)
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:28:03 PM »
Testing and treating for low testosterone is a fairly new thing. But it's been around long enough to already be big business.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 09:04:38 PM »
Just as important or even more so is the balance between testosterone, progesterone and estrediol. Normal T production with high estrogen is just as bad as low T.

I'm making dietary changes and limiting my alcohol consumption in an attempt to stave off andropause.

Should be an interesting week of articles.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:16:48 PM »
What's that about alcohol consumption?

Just wondering, because my alcohol consumption has upticked from 'low' to 'moderate' over the past year and I have several new maladies (not just beer gut) that I've been wondering if I should blame the alcohol for.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 10:24:12 PM »
I've been wondering if I should blame the alcohol Fistful for.
:facepalm:

Seriously though...
Have your T levels checked. Mine was pretty low when I had it first checked about 5 years ago in response to some minor issues I was having. Since using a supplement I feel better, I've dropped 70 pounds and the issue I was having is not an issue anymore.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 04:30:36 PM »
Moderate to heavy alcohol consumption can raise estrogen levels in men.

Your body may not raise your T levels naturally to balance your hormone levels out.

Weight gain and man boobs could indicate high estrogen or low testosterone levels.

The study of "andropause" or male change of life is really still an emerging field and there aren't a lot of good studies or hard facts.

One fact is true though, as men age testosterone levels often drop. This can cause low energy, weight gain, man boobs, poor muscle tone, depression, sexual drive or performance issues and prostate problems just to name some.

Testosterone in the correct amount and properly balanced with the other hormones is for all practical purposes our fountain of life. 

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 04:36:57 PM »
I just went back to Ben's original link, the site is being blocked by my system as an "Attack Page" that may attempt to steal information or install malware.

Bummer, I was kind of curious about what he was going to post.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 04:59:01 PM »
I just got that too, though I was able to go there fine yesterday. Weird - The Art of Manliness is a pretty mainstream and popular site. Might just be a glitch, but I will edit the OP with a warning and if the problem gets resolved will update.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 05:14:29 PM »
They have a post on their Facebook account about the warning. The AoM says it was from an ad that has been pulled.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 05:41:20 PM »
I had mine checked last year to see if maybe low testosterone was limiting the amount of muscle mass I could gain from working out. My level was at the high end of normal, so I guess I'm stuck being skinny no matter how much I might work out.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 06:13:23 PM »
I had mine checked last year to see if maybe low testosterone was limiting the amount of muscle mass I could gain from working out. My level was at the high end of normal, so I guess I'm stuck being skinny no matter how much I might work out.

If you call it "wiry" instead of "skinny" it sounds better!   =D