Author Topic: Brady Campaign is back with DA FEELZ...  (Read 869 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Brady Campaign is back with DA FEELZ...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 11:26:09 AM »
So far, gun-owners' rights groups don't appear to be open to the Family Fire campaign. The National Rifle Association didn't immediately respond to a request for comment from NBC News.

But Jordan Stein, director of communications for the organization Gun Owners of America said via email that locking up firearms is not a panacea for keeping children away from danger.

True. They almost certainly don't equal the number of children injured or killed by improperly stored guns, but there is a body of cases in which children under the age of 16 (the age under which my state requires guns in the home to be locked or locked up) have used firearms to defend themselves and the home against intruders. Locking up all guns removed the ability to do that.

Being a certified dinosaur, I continue to believe that education is the answer (absent known psychological issues). I grew up in an extended family. Within half a mile on one road we had our house, my maternal grandparents house, and the houses of two uncles. Of the four, the only one that did NOT have firearms was ours. All of us cousins were in and out of each others houses frequently. Everyone knew that the houses had guns, and everyone knew where they were stored. We also knew that we didn't touch them unless one of the adults brought it out and supervised any shooting.

Period.

It's mind-bending (as well as instructive) that groups like the Brady Bunch claim to be so concerned about "gun violence" and "finding common ground" yet they won't even acknowledge (let alone publicize) the Eddie Eagle program. Why not? Because it's a program of the dreaded NRA ... no other reason. That sort of tells us what their real motive is ... and isn't.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 11:56:19 AM »
The full-length spot concludes with the words, "8 kids a day are accidentally killed or injured by FAMILY FIRE. FAMILY FIRE is a shooting involving an improperly stored gun."
2,920 kids killed per year in accidental shootings involving family members.  Is that correct?  That seems high considering they limit the number to families and improperly stored guns.  I think it would have to include older kids/young adults and suicides. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 01:33:32 PM »
2,920 kids killed per year in accidental shootings involving family members.  Is that correct?  That seems high considering they limit the number to families and improperly stored guns.  I think it would have to include older kids/young adults and suicides. 

The Brady Bunch has never used honest statistics before, so there's absolutely no reason to believe that this statistic is honest.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 02:22:44 PM »
According to the CDC, in 2016 there 127 total accidental fatal shootings of kids aged 0-19. 
ALL unintentional firearm deaths in 2016: 495.

Of course, they specified "killed or injured", and there were 2,811 firearm injuries for kids aged 0-19 in 2016.

Now, how they determined that every single one of those deaths and injuries was due to family members I don't know.

Unsurprisingly, 1,989 of the injuries and 53 of the fatalities were for the 15-19 cohort.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »
Your child is many times more likely to be killed or injured by something from the medicine cabinet than the gun cabinet.
Still, it's hard to argue against reducing inappropriate gun access by children. They gun control groups understand the importance of controlling the narrative.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 02:43:28 PM »
"Family fire" to be brings back memories of lying on the living room floor in front of a fire in the fireplace, too stuffed to move after Thanksgiving dinner.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 04:39:59 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-accidental-gun-deaths-20180101-story.html

There were 489 people killed in unintentional shootings in the U.S. in 2015, the most recent year for which data is available. That was down from 824 deaths in 1999, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Taking into account population growth over that time, the rate fell 48%.

Accidental firearm injuries and deaths have dropped every year, driven by three primary causes:

1.  Wearing Orange while hunting. 
2.  Hunter Safety Education
3.  Eddie the Eagle
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.