Author Topic: Zogby: Barr Is McCain's Nightmare  (Read 8889 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Zogby: Barr Is McCain's Nightmare
« on: July 07, 2008, 08:52:54 PM »
Zogby: Barr Is McCain's Nightmare
Monday, July 7, 2008 9:14 AM

UTICA, New York � As the race for President passes the Independence Day holiday and heads toward the dog days of summer, Sen. Barack Obama holds a 44% to 38% lead over Sen. John McCain in the horserace contest, but also leads by a substantial margin in a state-by-state Electoral College tally, a new Zogby Interactive poll shows.

The extensive national poll of of 46,274 likely voters also shows Libertarian candidate and former Congressman Bob Barr wins 6% support, eating into McCain�s needed conservative base of support.

Neither Obama nor McCain breaks a 50% favorable rating. Obama is viewed as very or somewhat favorable by 49.7%. For McCain, that number is 43.2%.

Pollster John Zogby: �Obama is in the driver�s seat right now, especially where it really counts - in the electoral votes. Bob Barr could really hurt McCain�s chances. McCain can�t afford the level of slippage to Barr we found among conservatives in this polling. While there has been plenty of talk about Obama�s recent emphasis on his centrist positions, he can get away with it during these dog days of the campaign as McCain finds himself still trying to shore up the conservative base. McCain will have to move to the center because right now Obama is clobbering him among independents. But there is the rub for McCain: Bob Barr has some juice among conservatives and is hurting him in several states. �

Bob Barr receives the support of 7% of voters who identify themselves as conservative or very conservative voters. Barr gets 43% of libertarians and 11% of independents. McCain�s support among conservatives is 74%. On the left, Ralph Nader gets less than 2% nationally.

Obama has the support of 83% of Democrats, while McCain gets 75% of Republicans.

Independents break 39% for Obama, compared with 31% who support McCain.

For white voters, race doesn�t appear to be playing a significant factor. McCain leads Obama, 43%-39%, with Barr at 6%. Among black voters, Obama wins the vast majority of support.

© 2008 Newsmax. All rights reserved.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Zogby: Barr Is McCain's Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:11:59 PM »
i read that carefully  barr only gets 43% of libertarians? who are the reat voting for?paul?

then i saw it was newsmax
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 09:20:39 PM »
? who are the reat voting for?paul?

McCain.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 09:27:01 PM »
therein lies the difficulty in being a libertarian candidate. your own folk vote against ya
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 09:31:29 PM »
therein lies the difficulty in being a libertarian candidate. your own folk vote against ya

Most people who self-identify as libertarian do not vote for libertarian candidates.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 06:44:44 AM »

Most people who self-identify as libertarian do not vote for libertarian candidates.

Of course, because then they would just be "throwing their vote away"  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 06:50:59 AM »
Barr is an irrelevant spoiler, just like Nader was for the Democrats.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 09:18:24 AM »
I think the real problem is that if conservatives vote for Barr, Paul, or whoever else and McCain loses that 5% or whatever, then the Republican party will look at the numbers and say "Damn, we were SO CLOSE that time.  Maybe if we run someone who's just a LITTLE bit more liberal, we will win!"
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 09:32:13 AM »
If libertarians want to put an anti-libertarian in the White House, all I can say is "Deus vult!"
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 01:48:17 PM »
I think the real problem is that if conservatives vote for Barr, Paul, or whoever else and McCain loses that 5% or whatever, then the Republican party will look at the numbers and say "Damn, we were SO CLOSE that time.  Maybe if we run someone who's just a LITTLE bit more liberal, we will win!"

I think you may be right......they may nominate Hillary at the upcoming convention.....  shocked
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HK-91-762MM

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 01:55:36 PM »
I will vote for BOB BARR!
 I hope I can send a small message to the RNC--Dont send me LIBERAL LITE as a canadate to vote for -!
As I live in Stinking NY state My vote is a lost cause anyway -But Im sticking to my GUNS-NO LIBERALS especially NO GUN CONTROL LIBERALS .. And we know MCcstain wants to kill gun shows.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 03:07:32 PM »
I'm voting for Barr myself. Of course Alaska's 3 puny electoral votes don't mean squat in the big picture and they're likely going to McCain anyway.

So why not vote for someone I actually think represents a large portion of my views? It sends a message to the spineless POS at the RNC and the LP benefits by having the numbers show up in the final tally.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 03:40:23 PM »
I wouldn't vote for Barr even if the Libertarian party had a chance in hell.  From what I've read of the guy, he's NOT a Libertarian.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 03:45:24 PM »
I'm voting for Barr myself. Of course Alaska's 3 puny electoral votes don't mean squat in the big picture and they're likely going to McCain anyway.

So why not vote for someone I actually think represents a large portion of my views? It sends a message to the spineless POS at the RNC and the LP benefits by having the numbers show up in the final tally.

And in a couple of years, I hope you'll put a bumper sticker on your car (if the roads are still drivable most places, that is) that says "THANK ME FOR HELPING OBAMA - I WASTED MY VOTE".

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 07:34:17 PM »
And in a couple of years, I hope you'll put a bumper sticker on your car (if the roads are still drivable most places, that is) that says "THANK ME FOR HELPING OBAMA - I WASTED MY VOTE".

Yeah... like Alaska is going to be the tipping state in this election.

Previous results in the presidential elections for Alaska:

2004:  Republican
2000:  Republican
1996:  Republican
1992:  Republican
1988:  Republican
1984:  Republican
1980:  Republican
1976:  Republican
1972:  Republican
1968:  Republican
1964:  Democrat
1960:  Republican

Yep... quite likely that state's going Democrat this year if he don't vote for McCain.

i read that carefully  barr only gets 43% of libertarians?

Well, yeah.  This election is a bit goofy:

The Libertarians are running a Republican.
The Republicans are running a conservative Democrat.
The Democrats are running vaporware.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 02:50:37 AM »
I wouldn't vote for Barr even if the Libertarian party had a chance in hell.  From what I've read of the guy, he's NOT a Libertarian.

Because disagreeing with you on 2-3 issues makes him a communist? Cheesy

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Zogby: McCain Is McCain's Nightmare
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 05:23:25 AM »
 Zogby: Barr McCain Is McCain's Nightmare

I just had to fix that headline.... rolleyes
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: Zogby: McCain Is McCain's Nightmare
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 07:38:55 AM »
Zogby: Barr McCain Is McCain's Nightmare

I just had to fix that headline.... rolleyes
I am beginning to wonder if McCain is even serious about his candidacy. perhaps he is working under the radar. and maybe his philosophy is to wait for the convention.

i am not sure bob barr is as big a threat as zogby makes out.

right now you have obama running against himself and mccain not running at all.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 08:19:56 AM »
I wonder if McCain keeps thinking Obama will screw up enough that people won't vote for him so McCain doesn't need to push too hard.  If Obama were a typical candidate, I think he would be right, but I am not sure if the media and the Obama worshipers will notice. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 03:20:50 PM »

I have a 4-wheel drive pickup. Pavement is a waste of money IMO.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 07:05:54 PM »

Its a bit more than that, and I didn't call him a communist, either.  !(Libertarian) != Communist, if you'll forgive my Java.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 02:41:15 PM »
Pavement is a waste of money IMO.

Do you work for the Michigan Department of Transportation? Cheesy

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
Do you work for the Michigan Department of Transportation?

Nope. Just an Alaskan who already lives on a gravel road and perfectly happy doing so.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

nico

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 07:14:35 PM »
For white voters, race doesn�t appear to be playing a significant factor. McCain leads Obama, 43%-39%, with Barr at 6%. Among black voters, Obama wins the vast majority of support.

Quoted because it bears repeating for anyone who's heard the "if you don't vote for obama you're racist" line. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 08:07:57 PM »

Its a bit more than that, and I didn't call him a communist, either.  !(Libertarian) != Communist, if you'll forgive my Java.

My post has been a parody of the anti-Barr talk on libertarian blogs and forums.