Author Topic: Perceptions of conservatives  (Read 8904 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Perceptions of conservatives
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 10:05:45 AM »
Ayep.   I'm very bitter, as well as clingy to my religion and guns.   :angel:

As I recall, Obama was talking about Pennsylvanians... 

I swing vote.  I vote for the least worst candidate I can find regardless of party.  Sometimes it's R, sometimes it's D.   I think giving your vote unconditionally to a party is a bad negotiating tactic.  If a political party knows it has your vote regardless of its conduct, it will not stay bought.  If you make candidates actually compete for votes and money, they are more likely to stay bought.

I used basically the same rational for supporting Bob Casey Jr's run for senate.  I do not like all of his policies or beliefs, but the dude is the PA Democrat moderate equivalent of Ted Nugent (how's that for a really weird analogy).   He has affirmed publicly and in his voting record that he strongly favors "Absolute right to gun ownership". 

I don't swing vote.

However, it's not because I am a dyed in the wool Republican or nothing voter, it's because there is no democrat I would vote for (in my elections so far.) The Republicans get my vote so long as they best represent my views.

If they send me Arnold Schwarzenegger against a more conservative democrat, they're not getting my vote.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Kwelz

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 10:18:42 AM »
My friend Karen's take on the stereotypes for conservatives. 
http://vimeo.com/4284553
I am proud to call her and all the ladies in the Video my friends. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 11:23:43 AM »
Most of my friends are liberals, so I can't seriously make sweeping generalizations about liberals. It's not possible. One thing I have noticed, though, is that for many of them, their normally cheerful dispositions get downright ugly when it comes to seeing or talking about "rich" people.

At first I thought it was because they hated the idea of wealth, but I learned that's not true. They all would love to live in expensive homes and drive expensive cars, fly around the world in private jets, and generally live the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. (One friend has been living that lifestyle, but without the income to support it).

They want the goodies, but they don't want the work that getting the goodies requires. So, if they can't have the goodies, they don't want someone else to have them either. The goodies remind them that it's possible to achieve just about anything if you work hard enough, and my friends just don't want to work that hard. It's not about redistributing wealth, it's about redistributing misery.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 11:32:45 AM »
Most of my friends are liberals, so I can't seriously make sweeping generalizations about liberals. It's not possible. One thing I have noticed, though, is that for many of them, their normally cheerful dispositions get downright ugly when it comes to seeing or talking about "rich" people.

At first I thought it was because they hated the idea of wealth, but I learned that's not true. They all would love to live in expensive homes and drive expensive cars, fly around the world in private jets, and generally live the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. (One friend has been living that lifestyle, but without the income to support it).

They want the goodies, but they don't want the work that getting the goodies requires. So, if they can't have the goodies, they don't want someone else to have them either. The goodies remind them that it's possible to achieve just about anything if you work hard enough, and my friends just don't want to work that hard. It's not about redistributing wealth, it's about redistributing misery.
I think I have seen that attitude as well.  The other "liberal" type I have seen is the type that can't seem to analyze issues further than their nose and either don't understand people at all or can't see the consequences of short term actions.  They are the type that when asked about using a gun for self defense claim the odds of it happening to them are so small it is not worth worrying about. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 12:03:14 PM »
Not a contradiction.  The majority of racists are actually invisible, so they did not "show up."  Garafalo knows this. 

They are so white that have become translucent?  And their innards, too?

Or, are they black, as in black hole, so that not even rays of light can escape their gravity well?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2009, 12:26:26 PM »
Conservatism is predicated on reason and sublimation.

That doesn't mean All The Time.  :)

For people whose whole universe revolves around immediate gratification and emotional froth, yes, conservatives will look dour indeed.

Whatever.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2009, 05:32:14 PM »
They are so white that have become translucent?  And their innards, too?

Precisely.  And if you spend enough time line-dancing to Donny and Marie Osmond, while watching NASCAR, you could be translucent, too. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife