Author Topic: uncle Ted isn’t on board with a Palin presidency yet  (Read 8871 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
uncle Ted isn’t on board with a Palin presidency yet
« on: January 07, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110107/pl_yblog_theticket/ted-nugent-isnt-on-board-with-a-sarah-palin-presidency

The legendary rocker, a well-known conservative and, like Palin, a passionate defender of the right to hunt animals, tells CNN's Anderson Cooper that he is a "huge fan" of Alaska's Republican ex-governor. But he said it's "too early" to say whether she would be a good president. "Right now, no. Today, no," Nugent told CNN, per GOP 12. "Right now, if we had a vote today, I couldn't vote for Sarah Palin."
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: uncle Ted isn’t on board with a Palin presidency yet
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:43:45 PM »
Which I find sort of ironic. As I like both of them best as non-office holding lightning rods for the ire of the opposing political philosophies.

As to Palin, if she somehow gets the GOP nomination, I would pull the lever for her. She'd be better as POTUS than Obama, in terms of policy and executive experience.

However, bailing on the AK Governorship, while I understand the stated reasons of the malicious ethics complaints from the Alaskan Left, being POTUS is the hardest job in the world in some ways (when you don't abdicate the responsibility to better than 4x the golf and vacations than Bush ever took...) and IMO does not even begin to compare to being governor on the hot-seat.

I like her best right where she is now. On the national stage, making Liberals froth at the mouth.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 10:07:18 PM »
I have a sneaking suspicion Palin would be surrounded by GOP cronies, and would become GWB II.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 10:26:24 PM »
I have a sneaking suspicion Palin would be surrounded by GOP cronies, and would become GWB II.

Bingo! That's a nice summary of why she makes me uncomfortable.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 10:15:35 AM »

You say that as if it were a bad thing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 11:03:45 AM »

How is that a good thing?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 11:32:56 AM »

Its only "good" compared to the current state of affairs. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 11:37:25 AM »
Its only "good" compared to the current state of affairs. 

Having the Right People in charge of Tyranny  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 12:01:55 PM »
I don't see Palin going the way of GWB. Surrounding herself with DC veterans is a good idea, provided they're the right DC veterans. One of Obama's problems is that he's surrounded himself with Ivy League types or Chicago cronies, and few people who have experience working with congress.

If she got the nod, I'd vote for her as well. At this point I'm sure another candidate will get the nomination. I question whether she'd accept a VP offer, or if it would be a good idea for the presidential candidate to offer it if she lost the primaries. It would depend upon her percentages.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 12:08:46 PM »
Having the Right People in charge of Tyranny  ;/

Snort! As long as they are our Right People!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 12:30:58 PM »

I'd agree with that....I'd rather see her take the RNC chairmanship....if that doesn't flush the RINO's out of the GOP, I'm not sure what wil....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 01:51:03 PM »

If one ignores her rhetoric and looks at her term as governor...   Yea, pretty much.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 01:54:22 PM »
I don't see Palin going the way of GWB. Surrounding herself with DC veterans is a good idea, provided they're the right DC veterans.

Worked so well so far, right?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 01:56:11 PM »
I don't see Palin going the way of GWB. Surrounding herself with DC veterans is a good idea, provided they're the right DC veterans. One of Obama's problems is that he's surrounded himself with Ivy League types or Chicago cronies, and few people who have experience working with congress.

So GWB II, in other words.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 06:02:52 PM »
Personally I think she would be way better then GW on gun issues.

I was hoping for a Palin/Nugent ticket-I guess that options off the table now. :P
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 06:43:39 PM »
GWB make a good decision in picking Dick Cheney. Cheney was a guy who knew everyone in DC, and could deal with some of the major egos in congress. He was also a guy who didn't have anything to lose.

It doesn't hurt to be a DC veteran as long as you're not a doormat and you have principles.

Again, the not-ready-for-prime-time crew that Obama assembled shows what can happen when an entire administration is comprised almost entirely of rookies.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 07:21:54 PM »
I thought Cheney picked GWB  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 08:07:39 PM »
Quote from:  JamisJockey

We here in SC are being treated to what I predict will be the pattern at the national level and surely other states.  Nikki Haley was a distant third in a three person republican primary.  Palin rides into Columbia, issues a surprise endorsement and Nikki moves from a distant third to eventually winning the republican primary albeit in a run off.  She came literally within a fraction of a point of winning the primary outright.  So now she has the republican nomination and her first and continued actions was to run to the center.  Suddenly the Tea Party advocates kinda sorta faded into the background as Nikki made kissie-kissie with the RINO (aka republican) establishment.  No one could figure out why.  She certainly had tea party mandate in a solidly republican state.  Her move to the center enabled her to squeak a win over a weak democrat candidate (again, in a solid republican state).  So now she is the new gov and she gets to staff her cabinet and other key positions through the government.  Where does she go?  Back to the RINO stables and pulls out every long-in-the-tooth RINO she can find.  At this point the only new blood she has brought in is someone to run Dept of Social Services who worked for Bobby Jindal of Louisiana.  Meanwhile a number of those Tea Party shibboleths have strangely disappeared only to be replaced with garden variety establishment issues.  Tax cuts for small business is replace with corporate tax cuts.  School choice initiative has disappeared.

So what is the warning to be gleaned by SC's experience?  The TEA Party may get the peeps enthused but the reality of the matter is they do not control the levers and switches of power.  Establishment republicans do and anyone trying to govern will have to accept it.  Is Nikki a true TEA party creature or has she been compromised or did she just luck up and get a meaningful endorsement?  Who knows!  Time will tell what she is.  All of which demonstrates the necessity of judging a politician only by what he or she does.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 08:57:26 PM »
If Palin was running, I think it would largely depend on who was running against her.  She isn't the only GOP potential candidate worth voting for.

Do you think GWB was who he was because of the GOP insiders in his cabinet?  Personally, I think a lot of what happened in his Presidency was a result of what he had to work with in Congress, not his cabinet. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 12:13:27 AM »
Palin is simply better then GW. I am very grateful to GW for his SCOTUS picks ( that we had to force him to make ) but his trying to get amnesty for illegals and the "Patriot Act" ( that our new Dear Leader quietly renewed ) made me ill.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 02:42:37 PM »
"Patriot Act" ( that our new Dear Leader quietly renewed ) made me ill.

Patriot Act was ready and waiting to go.

I recall, if noone else does, that a proposal for a cabinet level Dept. of Homeland Security was run up the flagpole in Congress, back in the unlamented Clinton years.  People with R. behind their names shot it down.  "Sounded too Nazi."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 03:08:59 PM »
^^
Thanks! I had no idea! Also recently discovered the patriot act was written by Biden, which I didn't know back during the GW admin-I guess I should also confess that my biggest fear at the time was that the dems having the patriot act after GW gets termed out. I wasn't quite as worried about it when the R's had it.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 03:27:16 PM »
written by Biden,

Written by someone else, and Biden put his name on it?

which I didn't know back during the GW admin-I guess I should also confess that my biggest fear at the time was that the dems having the patriot act after GW gets termed out.

Yup.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 04:01:09 PM »
I wasn't quite as worried about it when the R's had it.

Yeah, the old Right People in Charge of Tyranny thing again ...  ;/

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 10:00:46 AM »
Patriot Act was ready and waiting to go.

I recall, if noone else does, that a proposal for a cabinet level Dept. of Homeland Security was run up the flagpole in Congress, back in the unlamented Clinton years.  People with R. behind their names shot it down.  "Sounded too Nazi."

This is the case for most legislation at this point.  Heck, Obamacare bears a striking resemblance to Bob Dole's healthcare plan. 

There is a lot of legislation already written and waiting in the wings for the right moment.  Look at all the gun control bill drafts that have popped up in the last two days.  Those weren't written last night. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it