Author Topic: Sovereign citizens in the news  (Read 8897 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Sovereign citizens in the news
« on: April 06, 2013, 05:37:35 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-sovereigns-20130406,0,3800088.story

I wonder if the 'sovereign citizens' movement is growing, decreasing, or what.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Blakenzy

• friend
Re: Sovereign citizens in the news
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 05:51:35 PM »
Well, they are ahead of their time. Funny thing is, if these people were just ignored there probably wouldn't be violence, most likely. But people who attempt to live free from coercion have to be made an example of so that the trend doesn't spread. "Terrorist organization",  ;/
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Sovereign citizens in the news
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:04:37 PM »
Your experience with "soverigns" differs with mine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 08:12:13 PM »
Your experience with "soverigns" differs with mine

;/

Thanks for the notice
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 09:02:34 PM »
Well, they are ahead of their time. Funny thing is, if these people were just ignored there probably wouldn't be violence, most likely. But people who attempt to live free from coercion have to be made an example of so that the trend doesn't spread. "Terrorist organization",  ;/
How do they ignore someone with fake license plates, unpaid tickets, and passing counterfeit money orders.  That is a bit different than just refusing to acknowledge authority. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 12:49:30 AM »
How do they ignore someone with fake license plates, unpaid tickets, and passing counterfeit money orders.  That is a bit different than just refusing to acknowledge authority. 

That's exactly what refusing to acknowledge authority is, or at least what practicing it would look like. Why would you get permission from or pay anything to a group of people that never had the authority to demand anything from you in the first place?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:53:52 AM by Blakenzy »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 02:07:54 AM »
The problem with sovereign citizen is that they think they can ignore the government until it goes away.

A charming concept, but too naive even for dealing with gradeschool bullies.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 04:35:06 AM »
More ironic since the staple tactic of the sovreign is to try to bully. I know 11 folks who play that game. Fortunately 5 of them only do it when off their meds. A quick look at the vids they post themselves is good for chuckles

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 07:14:52 AM »
I'd consider most soverigns to be criminal libertarians.  Seems everytime they end up in the news, its for crimes.  And not the victimless type. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 07:23:07 AM »
That's exactly what refusing to acknowledge authority is, or at least what practicing it would look like. Why would you get permission from or pay anything to a group of people that never had the authority to demand anything from you in the first place?

Yeah man. Passing counterfeit money orders is totes just about refusing authority. *expletive deleted*ck the guy they use said money orders to scam . He's just a pawn of the state anyway.

I've never met a sovereign citizen type who wasn't a scumbag. Maybe there are good folks within the movement, but it seems most are just using it as justification for criminal behavior
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 07:29:41 AM »
Or role players

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
They are obviously deluded.

There is no such thing as a true sovereign citizen anymore.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 10:34:38 AM »
They are obviously deluded.

There is no such thing as a true sovereign citizen anymore.

The Amish are the best model.  But the state is increasingly crowding in on them too.
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 10:59:44 AM »
I generally ignore authority  :P

I suppose that having a DL and valid plates on my vehicles makes me a slave, though  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 12:26:57 PM »

^ This.

Most "sovereign citizens" are trying to find some sort of way to break a contract.  Doesn't matter what contract... the implied "social contract" that is (arguably) slavery to the State is not necessarily their primary goal.  More often it's some actual true contract they've signed and now want out of.  Mortgage, loans, credit card debt, private agreements with business partners or family members, etc.

I know lots of people that consider themselves "sovereign" but don't go around trumpeting it and looking to pick fights with contracts they've entered into.  They honor their agreements, move on and are wiser in the next set of agreements they get into once satisfying the earlier ones.  Actively minimize their tax burden by avoiding the miasma of consumerist taxes prevalent in our system and participating in the "alternative" market.

Someone who honors the notion of self ownership isn't going to be creating counterfeit money orders (i.e. counterfeiting private currency) and using roads without contributing to their upkeep, or trespassing by leaving their vehicle in places they do not own or have permission to leave their vehicle.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 01:09:51 PM »
Most "sovereign citizens" are trying to find some sort of way to break a contract.  Doesn't matter what contract... the implied "social contract" that is (arguably) slavery to the State is not necessarily their primary goal.  More often it's some actual true contract they've signed and now want out of.  Mortgage, loans, credit card debt, private agreements with business partners or family members, etc.
We had some guys here in TX a number of years back who decided that TX had never "legally" joined the USA, so one day a small group - less than a dozen - held an election in an old trailer and voted themselves the leaders of the Republic of Texas.

People would have ignored them, except they tried paying off debts using imaginary funds drawn on fictitious "Republic of Texas" banks . . . and they got mighty upset when their crooked scam didn't work payments weren't accepted.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 02:45:22 PM »
I generally ignore authority  :P

I suppose that having a DL and valid plates on my vehicles makes me a slave, though  =|
That is kind of where I was going with my thinking.  If one wants to get away and be ignored by the authorities, there are places to go and occupations better suited for that.  If you are going to live in a city, you can't just ignore the local govt, but all cities and local govts are not the same.  Find one you can live with or move. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 03:06:26 PM »
I'm having a hard time telling the SC's & the OWS's apart.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 03:36:39 PM »
That is kind of where I was going with my thinking.  If one wants to get away and be ignored by the authorities, there are places to go and occupations better suited for that.  If you are going to live in a city, you can't just ignore the local govt, but all cities and local govts are not the same.  Find one you can live with or move. 

It's sort of helpful that the county sheriff ignores us rural folk.  They never come out here unless there is a 911 call or they have to serve papers.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 05:15:39 PM »
Even granting that there is a need to overthrow the state - which is not entirely crazy - overthrowing things DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 08:51:40 PM »
I'm having a hard time telling the SC's & the OWS's apart.....
SSDD ;)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 12:15:30 PM »
The validity of the program the article describes hinges upon one paragraph:

They teach police to recognize sovereigns by their convoluted legal jargon and "mouthy" defiance. "Sovereign citizens are more likely not to obey their commands and more likely to commit violence during a traffic stop," Finch said.

More likely than WHOM? Gang members? Women? Other white men with beards? The article sites 6 deaths since 2000 and does not dicuss any other violence. The episode in West Memphis was tragic but not earth shattering the way the LE community would like to think.

I know for a fact that DHS has pushed white papers pushing the fact that Sovereign citizens are to be feared as deadly terrorists. Which is in my opinion complete bullshit...but I hear about it from my cop friends. In SC, something as innocent as a Gadsden flag sticker can mark you as a "domestic terrorist." Complete nonsense as we know. Good cops will ignore it. But as we know from my experience, it only takes one ignorant, mean-spirited, or just plain LAZY cop to *expletive deleted*ck up your day.

DHS is an agent of cultural imperialism bent on using local law enforcement to carry out the will of the Northeast Media-Political Complex. Nothing less. You may not believe me until a cop asks you if your car is booby-trapped with explosives during what should be a routine stop. Anything you say WILL be used against you.

Rant off, sorry.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 12:19:08 PM »

DHS is an agent of cultural imperialism bent on using local law enforcement to carry out the will of the Northeast Media-Political Complex. Nothing less. You may not believe me until a cop asks you if your car is booby-trapped with explosives during what should be a routine stop. Anything you say WILL be used against you.

Fitz, when are you going to get a real job? :lol:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 12:31:03 PM »
I should probably clarify after that screed that I do not support the Sovereign Citizen movement in any way. They sound like a truly obnoxious bunch. It just sounds like cops had a moment of clarity after West Memphis that went something like "Oh, white people might shoot us too!" and everything went downhill from there.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 12:58:13 PM »
I should probably clarify after that screed that I do not support the Sovereign Citizen movement in any way. They sound like a truly obnoxious bunch. It just sounds like cops had a moment of clarity after West Memphis that went something like "Oh, white people might shoot us too!" and everything went downhill from there.

these folks have been around longer than you   posse commitatus movement in 70's