Author Topic: Here's a poll that'll make you shake your head in disgust.  (Read 2836 times)

BMacklem

Here's a poll that'll make you shake your head in disgust.
« on: June 12, 2010, 12:19:23 AM »
I couldn't even believe that they're asking such a question like this.
Time to take back our country.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/05/06/american-flag-banned-america/

And on Foxnews no less.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Here's a poll that'll make you shake your head in disgust.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 12:29:58 AM »
What's the context, the story behind it?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 12:34:05 AM »
the back story is that school that made the kids who wore flag shirts go home
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 07:44:53 AM »
The poll is fine.

It's the results that are downright scary.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 08:03:03 AM »
The poll is fine.

It's the results that are downright scary.

I wouldn't trust those results so much. Doesn't appear to have any anti-bot-spam-vote protection, and almost every single poll I've seen open like that has been grossly skewed within the first couple days.

BMacklem

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 10:32:16 AM »
It's the fact that they're even asking such a stupid and moronic question that bothers me.
I'd personally love to see if they banned all flags period....namely the mexican flag as well then, how'd they react.
I realise that it says "this is not a scientific poll", but the results so far are troubling, even if there is spam bots hitting it up, there *have* to be some bleeding hearts who answered that with "they should be banned for the safety of the students" crap.
I really am getting worried for this country.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 01:53:20 PM »
The American flag as clothing?  Is that the issue here?  Yes, that should be banned.  It is disrespectful to the flag to incorporate it in an article of clothing.

The U.S. Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, Sec. 8(d) states, "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 07:48:16 PM »
i remember hearing about the outrage when bob dylan wore a shirt made from a flag,  now it seems every country artist thinks it is the patriotic thing to do.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 09:32:38 PM »
The American flag as clothing?  Is that the issue here?  Yes, that should be banned.  It is disrespectful to the flag to incorporate it in an article of clothing.

The U.S. Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, Sec. 8(d) states, "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery."

They were shirts with a flag printed on them not made from flags.
Look, tiny text!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 10:25:56 PM »
They were shirts with a flag printed on them not made from flags.

I think that may be an arguable point vis-a-vis the statute.  That said, for an image of the flag printed tastefully and with respect, and with an eye toward patriotism, I wouldn't get my knickers in much of a twist over it.  My earlier post probably gave a different impression.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

taurusowner

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 11:51:45 PM »
I agree with Rocketman.  Context is a big issue.  Whether a flag is displayed appropriately and respectfully can mean a world of difference.  Would the wearing of flag patches by military and police be a violation of flag code?  It's a flag being used as apparel.  Also keep in mind the flag code is not legally binding.  You can't ticket someone for flying a flag with no nighttime illumination,  and you really can't punish people for wearing a flag if they so choose.

Honestly, what concerns me a lot more is not the American flags worn by these kids.  It's the flags of foreign nations that are carried and worn by illegals and protesters.  You can't tell me at least one kid at that same school these kids got kicked out of didn't have some sort of Mexican flag on him, whether an actual flag or a piece of clothing that had a Mexican flag on it.  Wasn't there a story a few years ago about some high school students at another school somewhere in South Western US who actually pulled the American flag down off the school flag pole and hoisted a Mexican flag in it's place on Cince de Mayo?

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_mexican_flag.htm
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 11:55:33 PM by Ragnar Danneskjold »