Author Topic: Body Cameras and POV  (Read 2841 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Body Cameras and POV
« on: September 10, 2015, 10:58:38 PM »
http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2015/09/07/pov/

I saw this posted on Massad Ayoob's blog.  It is an interesting video on use of body cameras and how it can help show what an officer is seeing. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Body Cameras and POV
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »
It also shows that body cameras will often be blocked by the wearer's hands, arms, whatever they are holding.  Positioning of the body camera does not just involve pinning to some part of your clothing.

Would Officer Wheeler have been "justified" in shooting the driver?  We'll never know, as all we saw was a gun laying on the seat.  Any furtive movement was obscured by the back of Officer Wheeler's Glock.

All I can tell you is that so far nobody has come up with a scheme that reduces all of the problems.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 03:59:01 PM »
All I can tell you is that so far nobody has come up with a scheme that reduces all of the problems.

Remove the eye on the non-dominant side and replace it with the camera.

Should also prevent cross-dominant shooting issues.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 04:19:12 PM »
See? ^^

A man who looks for the solution without being bothered by pesky little details.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 09:19:51 PM »
Replace some of the cop with robotics?  Intriguing... some sort of robo-cop, perhaps.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 09:32:12 PM »
It's not a perfect solution, but a better one. There is much that the dashcam doesn't catch.

Police should be all for body cams.  It will be a tool for backing up their claims on the job, and protecting them from those who do claim police abuse when it's not there.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 09:44:23 PM »
Every cop that I know (and I know quite a few) is all for body cams.  Yes, they do have limitations, but they also go a long way in proving/disproving "He Said/She Said" events.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 10:11:42 PM »
Just my opinion but any cop that is against body cams is probably a dirty cop.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 05:25:48 AM »
Many times, unions are opposed to some technologies for fear they will be used against the cops on minor stuff like sleeping on the job etc it's kind of sad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
Re:
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 01:45:13 PM »
Many times, unions are opposed to some technologies for fear they will be used against the cops on minor stuff like sleeping on the job etc it's kind of sad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I can't say it hasn't happened. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 01:56:42 PM »

A cloud of small drones that go to ~10 feed and spread out.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »
They make a go pro drone dohickey that follows people......but it's got a very short battery life and is expensive.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »
Replace some of the cop with robotics?  Intriguing... some sort of robo-cop, perhaps.

Mount a small camera in the middle of their foreheads.  Call 'em "Cycops".
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 08:47:55 PM »
Mount a small camera in the middle of their foreheads.  Call 'em "Cycops".

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 12:06:47 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 12:20:29 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 12:51:45 AM »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 09:28:22 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 10:41:18 AM »

Is that Mr. Chekov?

The much more sinister Mr. Bester, from Babylon 5.  I'm sure Walter Koenig had a blast playing him.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 10:48:38 AM »
That might work down the road, but right now, body cameras are probably the next best upgrade over the car mounted cameras that is cheap enough most departments could afford it. 

Consider how much everyone seems to love to Monday morning quarterback all these incidents, more video and audio is probably a good thing. 

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 11:36:36 AM »

A pair of AC-130s with enhanced imaging systems circling overhead would be almost as good.

Besides, when you know your backup is a couple of 105s, you tend to try harder to deescalate any time your opponent is within pistol range.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 02:44:24 PM »
I can easily see a drone/quadcopter popping out of the lightbar, or a box on the roof of the cruiser to record, pepper spray, or tase someone, or explode a sticky-net over them... whatever.

Give it 10 years. The main limitations are sensors, image/navigation processing, and battery. The motors and ninja-batman flips and turn on a dime stuff is possible with hobby units now.

GPS is pretty good for roads and houses, X-26 Taser could just as easily be replaced with a "Sic 'em!" laser-pointer/designator. But it's not so good for stuff like power/telephone wires, doors and windows (if they're open or not) and trees etc. .mil or DARPA project could probably turn something out in a year, but at a price/size the police can afford, a decade.
I promise not to duck.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 02:49:47 PM »
The much more sinister Mr. Bester, from Babylon 5.  I'm sure Walter Koenig had a blast playing him.
[/quote

He did.  I got to hear him talk about it once.  He really enjoyed playing that role.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 02:56:29 PM »
Besides, when you know your backup is a couple of 105s, you tend to try harder to deescalate any time your opponent is within pistol range.

:rofl:

More seriously, I've seen enough studies to show that when cops have body cameras, everybody behaves better.  Reports of officer misconduct, justified and unjustified, go down.  Assaults against officers goes down, etc...

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 04:06:27 PM »
More seriously, I've seen enough studies to show that when cops have body cameras, everybody behaves better.  Reports of officer misconduct, justified and unjustified, go down.  Assaults against officers goes down, etc...

It only takes about three brain cells to figure out that lying about something you know full well happened on camera isn't a great idea.

OTOH, I'm sort of fond of concealed cameras for just that reason; let them lie under oath, then nail them for the false statement.  Plus, not letting them know when they're being recorded means they won't know when they're not being recorded, so the problem doesn't resurface the day the cop forgets to wear his camera.