Author Topic: Body Cameras and POV  (Read 2838 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Body Cameras and POV
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 06:47:44 PM »
It only takes about three brain cells to figure out that lying about something you know full well happened on camera isn't a great idea.

OTOH, I'm sort of fond of concealed cameras for just that reason; let them lie under oath, then nail them for the false statement.  Plus, not letting them know when they're being recorded means they won't know when they're not being recorded, so the problem doesn't resurface the day the cop forgets to wear his camera.

Ummm, no.  I don't want cameras to become a "Gotcha Game" for police.  I want them all to have it and have it one all the time.   The bad cops will do themselves in, video or not.   All cameras on all the time.   Storage is cheap.   IT servces to protect both the public and the police from false statements regarding the event.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 07:03:00 PM »
The bad cops will do themselves in, video or not.   

Yup. Classic example right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kassP7zI0qc
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 07:24:22 PM »
OTOH, I'm sort of fond of concealed cameras for just that reason; let them lie under oath, then nail them for the false statement.  Plus, not letting them know when they're being recorded means they won't know when they're not being recorded, so the problem doesn't resurface the day the cop forgets to wear his camera.

Nope. Not until they stop being little bitches about me recording them. And not until they change the state laws to make surreptitious recording legal for everyone.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 07:44:42 PM »
And not until they change the state laws to make surreptitious recording legal for everyone.

I thought that part was pretty well implied anyway.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 07:55:34 PM »
It only takes about three brain cells to figure out that lying about something you know full well happened on camera isn't a great idea.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

The point of the camera's is better behavior on the part of everyone, not to throw more people in jail.
The unmarked cars hiding behind the bushes to nail speeders is bad enough. LEO do not need anymore tricks to catch people breaking the law, especially when they should be focused on getting people to not break the law in the first place.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 08:00:46 PM »
The unmarked cars hiding behind the bushes to nail speeders is bad enough. LEO do not need anymore tricks to catch people breaking the law, especially when they should be focused on getting people to not break the law in the first place.

Knowing that anybody might be recording them at any time would be a much better deterrent than knowing that it's happening only with a fully uniformed cop facing them.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2015, 08:13:44 PM »
Along the drone lines... A couple of weeks ago one of the guys down at the marina had won a drawing for 1 hour of drone footage. He took the drone operator out on his sailboat and they launched from the boat and made a couple of test recovery operations. Everything was looking good till it came time to recover the drone after the hour of filming. The expensive drone and expensive camera ran out of juice 10' off the stern of the boat and sank in 70' of water.
Oops.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams