Author Topic: Rasmussen survey on Americans and guns  (Read 2832 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Rasmussen survey on Americans and guns
« on: April 18, 2016, 02:22:56 PM »
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/gun_control/why_are_americans_buying_so_many_guns

Nothing too surprising here. Parts I found most interesting:

Men are more likely than women to say there’s a new gun in their immediate family. Women feel more strongly that it is too easy to buy a gun in America.

Senior citizens are the least likely to say they or someone in their family has bought a gun recently and are the strongest believers that it’s too easy to purchase one.

Whites are slightly less likely than blacks and other minority Americans to report the purchase of a gun in the past year. Blacks are the most likely to say most buy a gun for self-defense.

Americans with children in the home are twice as likely to have a new gun in the family as those who don’t have children living with them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Rasmussen survey on Americans and guns
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 02:50:03 PM »
Not reading the link yet, but "new gun in the family"...

I find that phrase to be oddly funny. Should I be sending out announcements whenever I get a new gun, like other people do when they have a baby? Or just announce it on FB, like when you get a new dog?
 :rofl:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 02:58:14 PM »
Maybe you could have a Gun Shower and have friends come over with gifts of ammo and accessories to go with it.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 03:23:45 PM »
Maybe you could have a Gun Shower and have friends come over with gifts of ammo and accessories to go with it.  

That sounds great, but I'm pretty sure I'd get mostly gun-related trinkets I don't need, and ammo that doesn't fit anything I have.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 03:32:22 PM »
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/gun_control/why_are_americans_buying_so_many_guns

Nothing too surprising here. Parts I found most interesting:

I actually found all but part one surprising.

I would have expected the opposite of senior citizens, but  I guess it depends on the generation of senior citizen. I'm technically a "senior citizen" and know that a large portion of my generation are anti-gun, but I expect those who are senior to me were more exposed to firearms in their lives, and less exposed to liberals, and are overall less anti.

I would have expected more whites than blacks reporting purchases, and wouldn't think there would be a big difference between homes with children and those without. In fact if anything, it seems that should be reversed, especially when you see the "new baby coming, wife says I have to sell guns" ads on the interwebz.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 03:38:37 PM »
When kids enter the picture, there's more that needs protecting and less willingness to chance injury in a confrontation.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »
I would have expected more whites than blacks reporting purchases, and wouldn't think there would be a big difference between homes with children and those without. In fact if anything, it seems that should be reversed, especially when you see the "new baby coming, wife says I have to sell guns" ads on the interwebz.

Old people think guns are too easy to get. And old people do not expect babies.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 03:53:27 PM »

And old people do not expect babies.

???
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 05:25:04 PM »
Look at it this way, if yer old enough, Ya could walk into TG&Y and buy a Mauser 98 and ammo for a few bucks and walk out the door as a kid or mail order them so their frame of reference may be correct IF they hadn't bought once since then.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 05:51:46 PM »
Ben and HeroHog touched on it.  I resemble HeroHog's remarks.

From Ben:

I would have expected the opposite of senior citizens, but  I guess it depends on the generation of senior citizen. I'm technically a "senior citizen" and know that a large portion of my generation are anti-gun, but I expect those who are senior to me were more exposed to firearms in their lives, and less exposed to liberals, and are overall less anti.

A lot of those coming into the senior citizen category nowadays have been bombarded with anti rhetoric and don't remember the days when you could mail order a gun and even mail it back to the factory from your local post office with no hassles.

So "some" "reasonable" gun restrictions have become more or less "normalized" with them.

My normal would be that the CMP* should issue 1911s, Garands, and Carbines to anyone who writes them a check.

Terry "Pre-68 was Great," 230RN

* I constantly fergit that there new-fangled name for the "Civilian Marksmanship Program."
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 05:55:59 PM »
???

I mean, old people are less likely to have young children at home. (Between your comment about expectant fathers selling their guns, and the talk of gun-showers, I had "expecting" on the brain.)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 06:04:50 PM »

That sounds great, but I'm pretty sure I'd get mostly gun-related trinkets I don't need, and ammo that doesn't fit anything I have.

Dude, registry!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 09:20:05 PM »
"Senior Citizen" can easily be "Elderly Female".  Have you ever looked around an old folks home? Not many men in residence.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 10:38:20 PM »
^^^That's because they are all dead.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 11:22:07 PM »
Dude, registry!

True. You chicks have a couple of things figured out.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 01:20:02 AM »
^^^That's because they are all dead.

exactly. 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 03:51:14 AM »
Dude, registry!

She supports a.gun registry!
Burn the heretic!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 02:57:28 PM »
Burn the heretic!

It will only be a temporary registration. After the shower, all records would be destroyed.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 04:57:47 PM »
I would have expected the opposite of senior citizens, but  I guess it depends on the generation of senior citizen. I'm technically a "senior citizen" and know that a large portion of my generation are anti-gun, but I expect those who are senior to me were more exposed to firearms in their lives, and less exposed to liberals, and are overall less anti.

I guess the Depression era/ FDR voting seniors are mostly dying out...
In my family, out of maybe 20-30 people in my grandparent's generation (grandparents, their siblings), about 3 of them ever owned guns, and those were WWII vets. Those 3 had a huge influence on later generations, however.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 05:07:23 PM »
Burn the heretic!

And then there is always the one jerk who refuses to buy off the registry, because it's not the right "spirit" and instead gets you something you don't want and don't need because it's "a real gift"
 :P

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 05:08:15 PM »
And then there is always the one jerk who refuses to buy off the registry, because it's not the right "spirit" and instead gets you something you don't want and don't need because it's "a real gift"
 :P

That is what re-gifting is for.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 06:35:50 PM »
Wasn't it those old folks that gave us the gun laws we've been digging ourselves out from beneath these last couple of decades?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 09:30:11 PM »
Wasn't it those old folks that gave us the gun laws we've been digging ourselves out from beneath these last couple of decades?

Probably true, because all they had to worry about then was the mid-thirties  NFA.  

So by the time of the war, that had been "normalized."  So it took years for "us" to be aware of the on-going nibbling at those rights to which you refer.  Frog in boiling water kind of thing.

It also took years for the lefties to entrench themselves into politics under the euphemisms "progressive" and  other camouflage prettied-up sugar-coated names for "communist."

For this olde pharte, the wakeup call came with GCA68, where the word among "gunnies" was, "They'll never pass that.  Why it's unconstitutional on the face of it."

But they did.  See my signature line.

And now, GCA68 has become "normalized" with most folks.

But not me.

Terry

NFA = National Firearms Act of 193?, forgot date.
GCA68 = Gun Control Act of 1968

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 09:35:20 PM »
GCA68 = Gun Control Act of 1068

Wasn't that repealed when they passed Magna Carta?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 09:42:52 PM »

Wasn't that repealed when they passed Magna Carta?

=)

Spotted that.  Corrected before your post.  Be patient with me, I edit and re-edit a lot.

Actually, your observation is well-taken, since the "Great Charter" was intended to limit the powers of the King, IIRC, sans a lookup.