Author Topic: What's going on at Naval bases all of a sudden?  (Read 3418 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
What's going on at Naval bases all of a sudden?
« on: December 06, 2019, 12:17:31 PM »
First this one Dec 4th

Sailor Shoots Three, Then Commits Suicide at Pearl Harbor
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/sailor-shoots-three-then-commits-suicide-at-pearl-harbor/

And then this one today.

Active Shooter Killed After Murdering Three, Wounding More at Naval Air Station Pensacola
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/active-shooter-killed-after-murdering-three-wounding-more-at-naval-air-station-pensacola/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: What's going on at Naval bases all of a sudden?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 12:39:32 PM »
Last night, the national news said that the Pearl Harbor sailor did it with his service weapon.  Should I be surprised that his service weapon was accessible, or are they normally locked up in the armory while in port?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 12:42:29 PM »
Last night, the national news said that the Pearl Harbor sailor did it with his service weapon.  Should I be surprised that his service weapon was accessible, or are they normally locked up in the armory while in port?

He was standing watch, they don't have personally issued weps, draw from armory, stand post, return to armory. You can tell their mental screening is suspect, they gave me an M-16!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:45:24 PM by adively »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 12:48:04 PM »
Don't forget NAS Oceana a little while back, love triangle, shooter went to work where his almost gf also worked, shot her. Stupid admiral says we have to investigate how he got the weapon on base. Well, lets see. From 1994 to 2016 my car was searched once while entering Oceana, Norfolk, Langley, Little Creek, and Dam Neck. Once! One time I even told them I had a giant gun on the seat and needed to find the armory. Gate didn't know, I didn't know, they let me drive around Dam Neck for a while and then I finally got irritated, drove back to my room at Oceana and took my very large rifle case to the room with me. Nobody even noticed. It's a gun free zone, when people are going to go wacko it's a good spot. Nobody remembers Fort Hood.

I will say it is a pretty low casualty rate in these, almost like as soon as another gun gets there things go south for the shooter. Hmmm.
AKA Navy Joe   

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 01:04:43 PM »
AP is reporting that the Pensacola shooter is a Saudi flight student, and possible terrorism links are being looked at.  Interesting, because I thought that all the foreign military flight students trained at AF bases in Texas and Arizona. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 01:05:27 PM »
Pensacola shooter was a Saudi Aviation Student. It happened in Aviation Pre-Indoctrination  building, the very beginning of flight training in the Navy/USMC. Now being looked at as possible terrorism.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/naval-air-station-pensacola-active-shooter-reported-shelter-in-place-issued

bob

Damn, late to the party again. :(

BobR

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 01:11:35 PM »
AP is reporting that the Pensacola shooter is a Saudi flight student, and possible terrorism links are being looked at.  Interesting, because I thought that all the foreign military flight students trained at AF bases in Texas and Arizona. 

It depends on the platform (Type of Aircraft), and as far as basic flight instruction any service can do that. We trained Iranians at Navy sites back in the early to mid 70s.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 02:39:53 PM »
Article on the Pensacola incident also mentions that two of the wounded at Pearl have died.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 03:07:12 PM »
Pearl shooter was enrolled in anger management classes and was still put in a position where he had weapons, this won;t work out well for those who did that.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/12/05/multiple-gunshot-victims-reported-active-shooter-situation-pearl-harbor-naval-shipyard/?fbclid=IwAR3p6x_j_G0-4CNCaZrnDMOdxsJ0U8P7HwB9aUceWoWXdSKLakM-DG8nMwE

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 09:36:10 PM »
"You can tell their mental screening is suspect, they gave me an M-16!"  (French G.)

Sorry, tragic thread, but that remark made me snort snot right onto my keyboard.  :rofl:

Sorry. Me go now.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 12:17:25 AM »
Pearl shooter was enrolled in anger management classes and was still put in a position where he had weapons, this won;t work out well for those who did that.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/12/05/multiple-gunshot-victims-reported-active-shooter-situation-pearl-harbor-naval-shipyard/?fbclid=IwAR3p6x_j_G0-4CNCaZrnDMOdxsJ0U8P7HwB9aUceWoWXdSKLakM-DG8nMwE

bob

It's part of the fine line the DOD is trying to walk.  We are trying to encourage people to seek help for their issues (PTSD especially) and use the Mental Health services provided.  So there's a huge "no stigma, this won't affect your career." push.  You start pulling folks from duty rosters and changing jobs that's much harder to sell.  Then there's the E4 Mafia:  "saying I need anger management gets me out of watch in port? Hmmm."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 12:31:46 AM »
Yeah, there would be a run on anger management for sure. People on my watchbill just did it the old fashioned way, they failed qual scores shooting or managed to miss the few ranges we could get. So there is E-6 me on Sep 12 2001 with one of the only shotgun cards in the squadron. Guess what I got to do? Later on the ship it was worse, needed 3 weapons to be of much use. Turns out there was only two people in my duty section M-16 carded who weren't gunners mates or ordies, those guys running the armory or crew served posts. 12 hour roving post with no qualified relief sucks.

On the other hand, Navy was hell on Lautenberg. Which gives people in gun intensive ratings the incentive to carefully hide their domestic abuse to keep their job.
AKA Navy Joe   

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 09:36:07 AM »
Now the New York Times reports that six other Saudis were detained after the shooting and three of those six allegedly filmed the shooting as it unfolded in Pensacola.

So far allegedly but if true that means at least three others were in on it.

The SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors jihadist media, identified the gunman as Mohammed al-Shamrani, saying he had posted a short manifesto on Twitter that read: “I’m against evil, and America as a whole has turned into a nation of evil.”

“I’m not against you for just being American, I don’t hate you because your freedoms, I hate you because every day you supporting, funding and committing crimes not only against Muslims but also humanity,” he wrote.

Report: 6 Saudis Detained After Pensacola Shooting, Including 3 Who Filmed Attack
https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendment/2019/12/06/report-6-saudis-detained-after-pensacola-shooting-including-3-who-filmed-attack/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 10:09:39 AM »
The SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors jihadist media, identified the gunman as Mohammed al-Shamrani, saying he had posted a short manifesto on Twitter that read: “I’m against evil, and America as a whole has turned into a nation of evil.”

“I’m not against you for just being American, I don’t hate you because your freedoms, I hate you because every day you supporting, funding and committing crimes not only against Muslims but also humanity,” he wrote.

So, basically a Democrat at heart.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2019, 10:13:44 AM »
The deal at Pearl just starts to look disgraceful. There were no geopolitical concerns there with pet saudi students, just a small chain of command that never said "Gee, we have ourselves a bonafide s-tbag, how about we have him go scrape paint and not give him guns mmmkay?"
AKA Navy Joe   

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2019, 11:01:25 AM »
After listening to the news this morning, I have a slightly tinfoil response. The guy has apparently been here for some years with all indications being he was "normal". So:

1) Is he just the rare breed of a competent terrorist and he bided his time? Or

2) [tinfoil on] Given his "maifesto", is it possible that in the era of mondo crazy TDS he was actually "radicalized" by all the crazy TDS and other stuff on social media? Just wondering if being inundated with the crazy left stuff pushed him over a ledge he was already on. Or maybe his associates helped with that.

I also understand (again from the news), that he's probably hoping for a long US investigation, because apparently whatever is left of his life will not be pleasant when he's sent back to SA.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2019, 11:05:29 AM »
I also understand (again from the news), that he's probably hoping for a long US investigation, because apparently whatever is left of his life will not be pleasant when he's sent back to SA.

If you're referring to the Saudi Pensacola shooter he's dead.
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2019, 11:12:50 AM »
This is a good day for the sleeping giant to start hardening up again on a lot of things.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2019, 11:14:06 AM »
If you're referring to the Saudi Pensacola shooter he's dead.

Oh, they might have been talking accomplices then. Sorry -  I was half listening to the TV in the other room while I was at my confuser.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 04:33:59 PM »
This is a good day for the sleeping giant to start hardening up again on a lot of things.

Maybe a bigger and better Patriot Act.... :facepalm:
"cause you know it's all those white nationalist bitter clinger deplorable Trump supporters that are to blame.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 11:47:07 AM »
Maybe a bigger and better Patriot Act.... :facepalm:
"cause you know it's all those white nationalist bitter clinger deplorable Trump supporters that are to blame.

Sorta like, maybe, a "SUPERpatriot act?" [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2020, 11:21:16 AM »
More on the Pensacola shooter

The Saudi aviation student who killed three American sailors in a December 2019 shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola had been in contact with Al Qaeda before carrying out the attack, law enforcement sources tell Fox News.

The communication was discovered after investigators broke through the encryption on a phone belonging to gunman Mohammed Alshamrani, the sources said Monday.

NAS Pensacola shooter had prior contact with Al Qaeda, sources say
https://www.foxnews.com/us/nas-pensacola-shooting-update
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »
More on the Pensacola shooter

NAS Pensacola shooter had prior contact with Al Qaeda, sources say
https://www.foxnews.com/us/nas-pensacola-shooting-update

Where's my shocked face? It's been awhile since I used it, because nothing is really a surprise any more. So the shooter was radicalized at age 15, and the Saudi recruiting process didn't pick up on it. Good job, Saudis.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2020, 02:27:04 PM »
---delete---
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.