Author Topic: New Ruger LCR. Wow.  (Read 12431 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: New Ruger LCR. Wow.
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2009, 08:45:20 AM »
Is it just me or are they ignoring the fact they just invented the .327 Magnum round, which this little gun could fit 6 of?

.327FedMag operates at too high a pressure for that little lightweight revolver to handle....if it could, Ruger would have put it out in .357Mag too....

Colt had the D-Frame/Detective Special for how many years? They figured out how to stuff 6 each .38 Special rounds in that cylinder, while still keeping it in a compact package.  You'd think technology would allow something similar in this day and age...

Now THAT would be a great idea.....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2009, 08:53:33 AM »
Now that is what I would of liked to see, 357.  That way you can shoot 38's and carry 357's.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2009, 11:34:15 AM »
I think they're looking hard at the .327mag or a six-shot model. The weight will change, but it looks like there's a lot of room to beef up that cylinder.

With something as "radical" as a polymer framed revolver, they're dipping a toe in the water with a more traditional 5-shot .38 first. I think going to .327 Fed. Mag with the rollout might have been "too much, too soon" etc. for the Ruger marketing people to think it would fly.

Frame stress could be an issue, but I'm sure there's metal stiffners in there to begin with, no?
I promise not to duck.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2009, 11:59:50 AM »
This ain't Bill Ruger's Mini-14...

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5846&return=Y

Hm, this particular version is probably verboten here, but I'm glad to see they are offering 20 rounders for them...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2009, 01:12:57 PM »
This ain't Bill Ruger's Mini-14...

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5846&return=Y

Hmmm.  "Compact barrel" -- it does look shorter than standard.  One of the things you see recommended in Mini-14 fanboy circles is bobbing the barrel for accuracy.  Supposed to be stiffer, thus more accurate.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2009, 04:48:59 PM »
.327FedMag operates at too high a pressure for that little lightweight revolver to handle....if it could, Ruger would have put it out in .357Mag too....

Now THAT would be a great idea.....  :cool:

Just looked at the numbers, I didn't realize it was that hot a cartridge.

Still that's chamber pressure and the SP101 cylinder can handle it.  The Smiths can handle .357 in the same size and the .32 would have thicker cylinder walls to play with, even with 6 rounds, I would think.

I guess my thinking was more along the lines of how many LW J-frame .38+P's can they sell?  Most of the people who want that package have one and can get another in that weight more cheaply. 

I have a Ti .38+P and certainly don't need another, regardless of how cool it may look. 
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2009, 05:08:08 PM »
I guess my thinking was more along the lines of how many LW J-frame .38+P's can they sell?  Most of the people who want that package have one and can get another in that weight more cheaply.

Depends where street price ends up. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.