Author Topic: .Mil People: Why Gloves?  (Read 12456 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
.Mil People: Why Gloves?
« on: December 09, 2010, 02:02:46 AM »
Seems like every picture of combat units I see features gloves. Why?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: .Mil People: Why Gloves?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 03:26:52 AM »
Anti-burn gear.

First, in the event of vehicle fires or flash burns from explosions, second, spent shell casings are blister inducing hot, third, things in direct sunlight get really, really, damned hot in the desert. I had a set of lamb skin aviators that were issued to me, and it would still burn my hand if I touched the metal roof of my humvee for more than about 10 seconds. Also anti-chaffing/abrasion/laceration usage as with most all gloves.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 05:41:36 AM »
Plus, war is a dirty, nasty, gross buisness where you have to touch dirty, nasty, gross things.  Gloves are helpful in protecting you from all the nastiness that goes along with that....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 08:46:05 AM »
spent shell casings are blister inducing hot,

Another advantage of the Mosin Nagant; the hulls are plenty cool to catch as they leave the chamber.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 09:10:51 AM »
Another advantage of the Mosin Nagant; the hulls are plenty cool to catch as they leave the chamber.

The Nagant is a useless implement of modern battle.  The amount of hot casings a modern infantry squad can produce will boggle your mind. 
Like KGB and seeker have stated, gloves come in real handy real fast.  Non combat vet, but being stationed in the desert you learn it real fast.  We wore them for field exercises, at the rifle range, etc.  During the summer I carried mine around all the time in case I might need them.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 09:17:18 AM »

By the time you get the bolt open, they've had plenty time to cool.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 11:26:14 AM »
Eye protection hearing protection and gloves should be basic kit for just about everyone.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 12:28:10 PM »

Where does that heat go instead?  It heats up the barrel and receiver faster.  Not a good thing for rapid fire.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 12:32:38 PM »
Another thing is, in the desert it gets cold at night. Real cold, and if your hands poking out of your parka are naked, well, that gets mighty uncomfortable mighty fast.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 01:01:11 PM »
Where does that heat go instead?  It heats up the barrel and receiver faster.  Not a good thing for rapid fire.

Mosin-Nagant and "rapid fire"? Not really an issue.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 01:11:33 PM »
Heh, I once shot a 3 gun match with an M-44, because I'm just that badass.  ;/  I was pretty good until about halfway through a 30 round course I cut my thumb near to the bone with a stripper clip. I often wear a nomex flight glove on my offhand whne doing something like that or shooting a pump shotgun since reloading involves rolling it over in my support hand with it wrapped into my weakside forearm. 32rd shotgun field course with an 870. HOTTT!!!
AKA Navy Joe   

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 01:17:39 PM »
I think you've all forgotten the most important reason...

It looks cool.

=D
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 01:49:38 PM »
I think you've all forgotten the most important reason...

It looks cool.

=D

Yep. Way more cool than a hand full of splinters from pulling targets on the rifle range.  Or sun burned hands from setting up a mobile runway in the desert.  Or blistered hands from driving a humvee for 14 hours.  Or blistered hands from swinging a sledge for driving engineer stakes.  Or scorpion and spider bites from moving sandbags.  Or laying out concentina.  Or going under barb wire.  Or clearing malfunctions on hot weapons.
(All of these are things I've had to do, while not a comprehensive list.)  Some of these, I remembered gloves. Others, I didn't have my gloves and paid the price. 
But, yeah, you can look more "tactical" with gloves on....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 02:30:37 PM »
I always grew my own.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 03:53:47 PM »
Nomex gloves were the standard when I deployed to prevent major damage from burns to your hands in the event you get hit by an IED.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 04:17:28 PM »
Yep. Way more cool than a hand full of splinters from pulling targets on the rifle range.  Or sun burned hands from setting up a mobile runway in the desert.  Or blistered hands from driving a humvee for 14 hours.  Or blistered hands from swinging a sledge for driving engineer stakes.  Or scorpion and spider bites from moving sandbags.  Or laying out concentina.  Or going under barb wire.  Or clearing malfunctions on hot weapons.
(All of these are things I've had to do, while not a comprehensive list.)  Some of these, I remembered gloves. Others, I didn't have my gloves and paid the price. 
But, yeah, you can look more "tactical" with gloves on....
Where do I sign up?  :laugh:

No, just thought I'd stick an extra thanks in there for you guys that have been knee deep in the *expletive deleted*it for the rest of us.  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »
Well, as wildland firefighters we are always supposed to wear gloves when handling a hose, or digging fireline, etc....   I carry mine in my nomex pants cargo pockets.

I guess it does keep your hands a little cleaner for later eating a slimy bologna and white bread sandwich  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 05:44:07 PM »
Although I am no longer a paramedic, I still carry a box of purple nitrile gloves in my car in case I have to give first aid to someone.  The grandkids really like it when I blow them up as big purple hand balloons.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 06:15:11 PM »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 06:59:15 PM »
Mosin-Nagant and "rapid fire"? Not really an issue.

Unless it's a level action with the thing that goes up. Man, that thing's a tack driver!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 09:01:36 PM »
They help keep your hands nice and soft for the ladies.
Look, tiny text!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »
Don't forget the straitjacket, gotta have one of those for precision rapid fire.
AKA Navy Joe   

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 01:28:37 AM »
I remember running chocks & chains in the early days of my Navy career. Gloves were a MUST with that. Not only did they keep ones hands from getting filthy dirty, but also helped avoid getting fingers or other parts of the hands pinched. Same thing during VertRep. I also can't tell you how many times I've run .020" safety wire through a finger or thumb. Gloves help with avoiding that, too.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 02:18:37 AM »
Funny, when I was in helos I had ridiculous callouses down the outside of my index fingers, I ran a ton of safetywire by hand, pliers too much damn trouble. A Sikorsky H-3 is of course held together with safetywire, changing all the blades, you better pack a lunch and some extra wire.

Thor, tell the truth. You were an AT weren't you. We give them .020 safetywire and wee little screwdrivers so they don't hurt anything like they might if they had real tools. Hammer? Never.  =D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:38:27 AM by French G. »
AKA Navy Joe   

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 02:50:38 AM »
And yet in Deck department gloves were a big no-no. If one of em got caught on that 5 inch kevlar mooring line you were busy handling you were going through that 8 inch wide steel chock. Everything that might get caught was removed prior to handling lines, gloves, rings, bracelets/watches and anything dangling from your belt.