Author Topic: What is with styles?  (Read 12494 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: What is with styles?
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 11:33:02 AM »
BSL, I don't give a rat's behind what any of these individuals do, although I find what they do amazing.

Fashions in the past weren't permanent. You could cut your hair differently, stop wearing this or that makeup, get rid of the spats, or stop wearing powdered wigs (before my time, believe it or not). I just think it's bizarre to do something as a fashion or a statement that's permanently marked on one's body.

It's not that I'm an "old fart". It's just that I've had many more years than most here to observe what people do, and to observe fashion trends. There's all sorts of factors that drive fashion, and some of those are manipulative factors driven by manufacturers (I've told the story already about the tie-dyed fad). I've had to laugh every time I saw a new outrageous fashion, as the motivation for embracing it is always the same. It's why my older brothers were greasers, it's why I had long hair, and it's why some of my nephews had the punk rock look. Some things never change, they just look different.

Look up the Wasp Waste. That was pretty perminant, and has the benifit of being a style long before you were born, since you can't seem to grasp the concept that tattoos have been around long before you were a twinkle in your daddys eye as well.

Nobody is saying that anything is new or changed. Well, except that you come off as sounding like you think everyone is an idiot because it was better in the olden times.
Personally, I think it's amazing that you bother to be shocked by it at all.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 11:51:33 AM »
Look up the Wasp Waste. That was pretty perminant, and has the benifit of being a style long before you were born, since you can't seem to grasp the concept that tattoos have been around long before you were a twinkle in your daddys eye as well.

Nobody is saying that anything is new or changed. Well, except that you come off as sounding like you think everyone is an idiot because it was better in the olden times.
Personally, I think it's amazing that you bother to be shocked by it at all.

:facepalm:   Waist.   WAIST.     :rofl: Unless you're refering to wasp feces.   [popcorn] :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »
:facepalm:   Waist.   WAIST.     :rofl: Unless you're refering to wasp feces.   [popcorn] :angel:

*sigh* yes, suprise, BSL mixed up her spellings. What a shocker...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »
You left an "r" out of surprise. >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 11:57:21 AM »
How many people my age (~60) do you see walking around with shag haircuts? Platform shoes?

What will young people in 30-40 years say about the 60-something's with tattoos covering arms, legs, chests, backs, hips, butts, hands, faces and God only knows where else? Does anyone think that tattoos will be fashionable in the year 2050?

If you go to a church, you will see lots of blue hairs wearing fashions from 30-50 years ago.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 01:05:25 PM »
Fashions come and fashions go.  Even the fashion of tattooing comes and goes.

While I (as undisputed Oulde Pharte Curmudgeon Emeritus) may refer to certain spasmodic jerkings or the fully-clothed representations of the more energenic forms of recreational copulation, I do recall the expressions of angst uttered by the "adult" members of society upon seeing preceeding waves of contortionism performed by the youth of the day.  One of the benefits of age affecting short-term but not ravaging long-term memory is the ability to remind you milk-toothed cubs of the utter shock engendered by one of the earliest line dances - the minuet, and the vapors caused by the raw sexuality displayed by those libertines who first waltzed.

And speaking of "fully clothed" - how many of you recall the uproar when garments covering the nether limbs first became fully enclosed?

Styles may stabilize due to practicality or some form of cultural stagnation, or may radically change as the youngest segment with purchasing power seeks to assert independence from their parents and also to create outward signs of membership in "the group".  How may times throught history have we seen literal herds of snowflakes all dressed alike, all talking alike, and all going to hell in that ultra-large handbasket together?

Every once in awhile things come together such that several cultures with their distinguishing styles all crash upon the world stage in the same place and time.  Terry may be able to back me up on the confluence of zoot suits, pegged jeans/white t-shirts/black penny loafers/duck's ass haircut, pendletons/khakis/bandanas and the pink sports coat/white carnation of the late 1940s mostly in SoCal but also NYC and Hartford, Conn, and ($diety forbid!) Debuque.  Or the polo shirt/chinos progenitor of the Yuppie and the paisley hippie (before they discovered tie dying) on the Strand of South Carolina?

The truth is that becoming outraged at the goings-on of the younger set just encourages them to continue and to excalate.  What I am seeing is that greater and greater numbers are not finding a life situation that makes "growing up" and "maturing" desirable or even necessary.   While aware of the use of hats, colors, and the actual position of the hat and bill to designate membership/affiliation in social affinity groups (gangs), one of the saddest things for me to observe is a 40-something bopping down the street with his hat on sideways or hanging down protecting his neck while the rest of torso is bared in the hopes that tanned moobs will attract the girls.

Do not allow me to even start on what, how and why females of the various species/subspecies wear.  Let us just say that the conflict between wearing for the purpose of attracting the male and the purpose of signaling other females scares the daylights out of me.

But before we dog-pile Dick for being a stick i the mud, we need to know - where between the points of his hips and his armpits the waistline of his pants are located.  (And if he has a dunlap, if his pants go over or under.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

æg151337

• Gamera Public Relations Slave
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »
My reasoning for not giving two ****'s about how other people dress compared to how i dress(including tats and piercings) is that everything we do in terms of how we looks has some sort of self fulfilling want behind it. I figure no matter how bland i try to dress or look in general, it still has the same basic motive as someone who decides to wear a chicken on their head that day. It all comes down to how we want others to view us. without this basic desire, why would we bother to wear anything other than grey coveralls everyday?
Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating GA-MER-AAAA!!!!!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 05:06:48 PM »
BSL, I'm well aware that tattoos have been around since ink was invented, and probably before that. My grandfather had a few, and made me promise never to get one.

I'm just amazed that anyone would embrace something as fleeting as fashion in a permanent way. I can recall going to carnivals where you paid money to get into a tent to see a woman billed as a freak with not too many more tattoos than the one in the photo I posted.

I should note that the photos that Charby posted were hardly the most radical fashions of the 1970's. With the exception of the plaid pattern in the sport coats, the clothing is pretty bland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 05:41:33 PM »
I should note that the photos that Charby posted were hardly the most radical fashions of the 1970's. With the exception of the plaid pattern in the sport coats, the clothing is pretty bland.

In the late 70's, I recall wearing a double-knit polyester bright pink leisure suit with a rayon Hawaiian shirt and a pukka shell necklace.  I was stylin' and it sure got attention from the babes!  Negative attention, now that I recall, but hey.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 05:47:36 PM »
One of the fastest growing businesses is Tattoo removal.  Lots of Inkings of Regret out there.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Laser-Tattoo-Removal---A-Business-That-Continues-to-Grow&id=6439231

I think I see a business opportunity !!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 07:27:58 PM »
In the late 70's, I recall wearing a double-knit polyester bright pink leisure suit with a rayon Hawaiian shirt and a pukka shell necklace.  I was stylin' and it sure got attention from the babes!  Negative attention, now that I recall, but hey.

You're lucky one of the "babes" didn't kick you in the yarbles just for looking obnoxious. ;)

I watched friends wear plaid suits, get afro perms, wear monster platform shoes and all sorts of other hideous gear. I've always been fascinated by what marketing people can get the gullible to buy. Back in the 70's I predicted that the fashion moguls would get young people to wear union suits with the rear flap down. It hasn't happened yet, but the guys wearing sagging pants showing their butt cracks isn't too far off my prediction.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 10:54:29 PM »
(I've told the story already about the tie-dyed fad).

Link?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 12:30:06 AM »
I can't find a link. Maybe I've never told this story here.

In the very early 1970's a hurricane struck the southeast coast. Kohn Mills, which was the largest supplier of denim fabric to Levi Strauss, had their warehouses flooded. Millions of yards of denim were left blotchy by the ocean water. Levis Strauss was also stuck without a steady supply of denim.

Somebody in marketing had the bright idea to make jeans and jackets and whatnot from the damaged fabric, and charge more for it. They call it tie-dyed denim. And it went over big time. You couldn't walk ten feet on a college campus without seeing someone in a tie-dyed something.

Not only were they savvy enough to be able to sell their damaged goods to gullible trendy young people, but they also were bright enough to know that by charging more the damaged fabric would be seen as something special.

There's nothing I love in marketing so much as turning a defect into a feature. :)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 10:28:04 AM »
Sorta like the guys I read about in Manhattan, MT who were selling worn out jeans to the wannabes in Manhattan, NY   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2013, 10:35:19 AM »
There's nothing I love in marketing so much as turning a defect into a feature. :)

You wouldn't happen to work for Microsoft would you?
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

brimic

• friends
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 11:08:43 AM »
And speaking of "fully clothed" - how many of you recall the uproar when garments covering the nether limbs first became fully enclosed?

I was at one of my son's baseball games this year when I noticed that one of the opposing team's coach was wearing a kilt.
My first thought was 'THAT LOOKS COOL. I should get one plus it will annoy the wife.'
My wife taps me on the shoulder and says "Check out that kilt, it looks cool, you should get one."
 :facepalm:
She must have been reading my mind because it completely ruined it for me.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 11:23:23 AM »
I was at one of my son's baseball games this year when I noticed that one of the opposing team's coach was wearing a kilt.
My first thought was 'THAT LOOKS COOL. I should get one plus it will annoy the wife.'
My wife taps me on the shoulder and says "Check out that kilt, it looks cool, you should get one."

Yeah, see, parents of teens need to understand this trick. Approval can ruin an outfit.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »
... one of the opposing team's coach was wearing a kilt . . .

Wearing a kilt is not about fashion, it's about FREEDOM!!

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2013, 12:04:23 PM »

Ohhhhh-K. The boxers not quite loose enough for ya?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2013, 12:06:46 PM »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If it irritates fistful, then I'm going to get one... and post pics.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2013, 12:29:53 PM »

So she kilt your enthusiasm  ;)

FWIW, the original "kilt" was an outer garment or cloak/coat.  Under that would have been a roughly knee length linen shirt.  So technically kilts are not a substitute for trews or trousers, because pants would have been not known or only rarely worn in those days.  Somebody just got the bright idea to wear his belt on the outside of his cloak.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2013, 12:41:48 PM »

Don't knock it until you try it. 

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2013, 02:46:56 AM »
I'm still waiting for my ponytail to come back in style.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
I'm still waiting for my ponytail to come back in style.

May it never be.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife