Author Topic: Confederate Flag Brouhaha  (Read 13380 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Confederate Flag Brouhaha
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2015, 08:55:11 PM »
Lol. Your ancestors picked a stupid fight, over a stupid cause, and got their asses handed to them. And because they chose to attach some legitimate issues such as state's rights to something vile such as slavery, they screwed over future generations. The same way that the post war South screwed over the concept of free association through segregation and led the charge on gun control and the WoD with Jim Crow laws. They were a bunch of losers who significantly reduced the freedom in this country through their stupidity. Get over it dude.

It must be hard being so *excruciatingly* correct on every single topic that crosses this forum. What a burden you must bear.
Yes, the invasion happened because of the secession, the secession happened over slavery.

"States Rights" to preserve slavery.
Issues of representation and control of congress, and the presidency to maintain slavery.
Admissions of new states as slave or free, and how it would affect congressional seats and the electoral college.
Economic disputes between the agrarian exporting Slave south, and the immigrant/industrial north.

Slavery Slavery Slavery.  It was over slavery. It happened because of slavery. All the "other causes" are one step removed from slavery, and were also because of slavery.

The "founding documents" of the Confederacy themselves state it over, and over, and over again.

I don't know why this is so hard for some in the South. You today didn't own the slaves, you didn't fight to keep them either.

For all I know some of my ancestors fought for bad causes in Europe, beat their spouses, or were criminals. I  have no idea. But what they did, or what they were doesn't define me.

It's as if you guys are unable to separate Moon Pies, RC Cola, Sweet Tea, and ladies in hoop skirts saying "Ah do declare!" etc. from slavery or the Civil War. Nobody's claiming the North is some paragon of righteousness. We're all aware the Emancipation Proclamation didn't cover the slaves in Union states. And Lincoln's words on preserving the Union, whether it meant freeing slaves, or leaving them in bondage.

And all of America killed or displaced a ton of Indians to get the land, or passively benefited from the epidemics from European contact that decimated them in the 1400's and 1500's before most of them even met a European colonist.

The "It was complicated" and "There were lots of reasons" arguments are shoddy.

I get that you can't separate the political issues, and the cultural memories of the war. And I appreciate that you aren't advocating taking the flag down. The whole point of my original post was attempting to articulate, clearly and without undue emotion, *why* the South separates those two issues. They are directly related to the destruction and humiliation of the war. And the fact that the South believes that, refuses to apologize for the war, and refuses to accept Northern superiority (I am speaking of American Academia and Media here) is the reason the debate, and cultural memory, are STILL ongoing.

Can I say it again? I AM NOT A CONFEDERATE APOLOGIST. But there are a lot of people in this country, and apparently a few on this forum, who are ignorant of the implicit connection and bolstering effect that Southern Culture and the War have on each other.

Not the Confederacy. THE WAR. And so many people do not realize that in the Southern mindset they are NOT the same.

If you don't get it, that's OK. That means you don't understand the South. That's OK too. Just keep it in mind when discussing these issues.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2015, 09:03:04 PM »
Since some have decided to sink to flinging insults maybe it would be a good idea to go ahead and shut this one down.

If by "flinging insults" you mean pointing out historically correct facts about people who lived in the same geographic region as some posters but 150 years ago, then yes we have sunk to that.

It must be hard being so *excruciatingly* correct on every single topic that crosses this forum. What a burden you must bear.

Insults me for having an opinion. Posts wall of text justifying his own opinion.  :rofl:

What are your opinions on the implicit connection and bolstering effect that Black Culture and Slavery have on each other?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2015, 09:05:20 PM »
150+ years ago my ancestors were a bunch of poor, illiterate, drunken morons in Ireland. I hope no one insults poor, illiterate drunks: that's my heritage!

Oh no wait, I'm not Southern so I don't feel the need to venerate bad decisions made in the past merely because I have some connection to the people who made them.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2015, 09:13:03 PM »
I didn't single out anyone in particular but if the asshat fits go ahead and wear it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2015, 09:24:09 PM »
Alright. I've had it.

Jocasse said it and I will repeat it.

It's not about the politics, it's about the WAR.

When I say 'brother fought brother', that was literal in my family. They both survived and bought adjoining farms and continued to argue about the war till the day they died.

Whatever the reasons for happening, the war happened to the South. The North didn't just kill the confederate soldiers. They rained down destruction on the South. Civilians, innocents.
What's more the Confederacy wasn't exactly kind to their own people either.

Those southern battlefields were someone's home, someones farm. My mothers in laws came down to visit and wanted to see some Civil War historical locations. My aunt waved her hand out the back door and said 'look around'.

The Northern got to go home. The Southerns had to live with it and the oh so nice carpet baggers who came down to tell them how to go on.

Did you ever think that maybe our need to display that flag is to remind us what we lost over being stubborn shits who threw down the gauntlet? Racism is the last thing that damn flag represents. So take your oh so superior understanding of my culture and shove it.

(How's that for a thread locking post?)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2015, 09:47:42 PM »
Alright. I've had it.

Jocasse said it and I will repeat it.

It's not about the politics, it's about the WAR.

When I say 'brother fought brother', that was literal in my family. They both survived and bought adjoining farms and continued to argue about the war till the day they died.

Whatever the reasons for happening, the war happened to the South. The North didn't just kill the confederate soldiers. They rained down destruction on the South. Civilians, innocents.
What's more the Confederacy wasn't exactly kind to their own people either.

Those southern battlefields were someone's home, someones farm. My mothers in laws came down to visit and wanted to see some Civil War historical locations. My aunt waved her hand out the back door and said 'look around'.

The Northern got to go home. The Southerns had to live with it and the oh so nice carpet baggers who came down to tell them how to go on.

Did you ever think that maybe our need to display that flag is to remind us what we lost over being stubborn shits who threw down the gauntlet? Racism is the last thing that damn flag represents. So take your oh so superior understanding of my culture and shove it.

(How's that for a thread locking post?)
Bravo.

150+ years ago my ancestors were a bunch of poor, illiterate, drunken morons in Ireland. I hope no one insults poor, illiterate drunks: that's my heritage!

Oh no wait, I'm not Southern so I don't feel the need to venerate bad decisions made in the past merely because I have some connection to the people who made them.
You don't know when to stop do you?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2015, 10:04:27 PM »
You don't know when to stop do you?

I can help with that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."