Author Topic: The Gun Control Bandwagon  (Read 77295 times)

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The Gun Control Bandwagon
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2018, 10:20:44 PM »
The list in that bill made me laugh.  So many of the guns specifically named haven't been sold in years...  The SP-89, the Streetsweeper, etc.  So they dug up old language and added new names, like the S&W M&P-15.  Nice.

These kinds of lists are actually worrisome to me. The "exempt" part as much as the "banned" part. When you go through the trouble of naming specific firearms not just by type, but by brand and model, what happens to the ones you miss?

My M1A is not on the "banned" list. However, my Remington 788 is not on the "exempt" list. So how would one interpret the fate of the hundreds (thousands?) of guns they didn't specifically list? Especially since they went beyond the binary of "semi-auto or not" to include levers, bolts, over/unders, side by sides, etc.

Lists like that are scary.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2018, 10:44:01 PM »
These kinds of lists are actually worrisome to me. The "exempt" part as much as the "banned" part. When you go through the trouble of naming specific firearms not just by type, but by brand and model, what happens to the ones you miss?

My M1A is not on the "banned" list. However, my Remington 788 is not on the "exempt" list. So how would one interpret the fate of the hundreds (thousands?) of guns they didn't specifically list? Especially since they went beyond the binary of "semi-auto or not" to include levers, bolts, over/unders, side by sides, etc.

Lists like that are scary.

I don't know. In a way I find it funny. HK 93 and 91? On the list. CIA C93 and C91, not on the list. Same *expletive deleted*ing rifles. It may show a degree of unhealthy obsession on their part, but it leaves a lot of loopholes on ours.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2018, 11:17:51 PM »

Same thing that happened to Colt during the old federal AWB. They changed the model name and kept selling.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #154 on: February 27, 2018, 08:29:28 AM »
Same thing that happened to Colt during the old federal AWB. They changed the model name and kept selling.

I was referring more to older firearms that aren't specifically listed on the "exempt" list. Can't change the name of something already made.

The somewhat tinfoily worry is that when you have lists like that, depending on who's in charge, is that "unlisted" gun something that falls through the cracks? Or could it be confiscated with no recourse because, "Hey, sorry, it's not on the exempt list, so it's illegal."?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2018, 08:50:09 AM »
All of my AR-15s are fully semi-automatic. As are all of my 1911s that are chambers for .45 Automatic Colt Pistol.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2018, 08:53:17 AM »
I was referring more to older firearms that aren't specifically listed on the "exempt" list. Can't change the name of something already made.

The somewhat tinfoily worry is that when you have lists like that, depending on who's in charge, is that "unlisted" gun something that falls through the cracks? Or could it be confiscated with no recourse because, "Hey, sorry, it's not on the exempt list, so it's illegal."?
During the '94-'04 AWB I believe there was a list of "exempt" firearms as well.  Not sure if the wording was identical, though.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #158 on: February 27, 2018, 08:56:09 AM »
I like to shoot my AR in semi-fully-automatic. You've probably never heard of it...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #159 on: February 27, 2018, 09:45:49 AM »
In regards to the list, once again the Ruger Mini-14 escapes, except for the Tactical Rifle model, which is explicitly named.  My Ranch Rifle that I lost in a tragic rowboat accident would be legal.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #160 on: February 27, 2018, 09:51:47 AM »
In regards to the list, once again the Ruger Mini-14 escapes, except for the Tactical Rifle model, which is explicitly named.  My Ranch Rifle that I lost in a tragic rowboat accident would be legal.

What exactly is the Tactical Rifle?  I have a GS model with a flash suppressor (I don't *think* it's also a bayonet mount but not sure) that came with a factory 30-round mag.  It's pretty "tactical", except for the gorgeous walnut stock -- the stock was why I bought it.  I think it was a custom run that they built for a state prison.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2018, 10:13:35 AM »

The Mini-14 Tactical Rifle.

Except for the birdcage flash suppressor and the front site, this looks an awful lot like my stainless Ranch back when I had the all-weather stock on it.  Now that I have the Strikeforce stock on it, it looks much more evil:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 12:27:05 AM by Amy Schumer »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2018, 11:33:53 AM »
A picture of mine is about halfway down the page:  https://us2.campaign-archive.com/?u=99c3876c30b42968d4190988b&id=35950fa7a2&e=23781dc72b  It has the same flash hider and front sight as the TR.  I generally use 20-round mags with it, but I have a few 30's (I really don't like the plastic 30's)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2018, 11:39:40 AM »
These students are so disturbed by the violence in our schools today:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27604/watch-student-led-anti-gun-rally-turns-violent-ryan-saavedra

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2018, 11:44:19 AM »
Heh. CNN stepped in it in a kind of a "two for one deal".

An argument that first implies that being a teacher is "women's work", then argues that women can't carry concealed because of their wardrobe.  :laugh:

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2018/02/27/dude-shut-up-women-rekt-cnn-analyst-for-mansplaining-how-their-wardrobe-keeps-them-from-carrying/

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2018, 01:59:31 PM »
Heh. CNN stepped in it in a kind of a "two for one deal".

An argument that first implies that being a teacher is "women's work", then argues that women can't carry concealed because of their wardrobe.  :laugh:

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2018/02/27/dude-shut-up-women-rekt-cnn-analyst-for-mansplaining-how-their-wardrobe-keeps-them-from-carrying/

Guess what Dana Loesch started off with on her radio show today.  :laugh:  Did she pay him to tee that up for her?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: February 27, 2018, 04:18:42 PM »

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27604/watch-student-led-anti-gun-rally-turns-violent-ryan-saavedra
Beyond the violence, the most funny thing was the video of kids screaming in joy as they ran through a mall.  There were a handful of True Believers and a bunch of kids who wanted to get out of school and cut loose.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2018, 06:11:04 AM »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2018, 08:56:45 AM »
Dick's sporting good is living up to their namesake again. Will no longer sell semiauto firearms or "high capacity" magazines and will NOT sell any firearm to under 21 years old.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2018, 09:00:54 AM »
Dick's sporting good is living up to their namesake again. Will no longer sell semiauto firearms or "high capacity" magazines and will NOT sell any firearm to under 21 years old.

They truly are their name...I will never buy anything from them.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2018, 09:03:37 AM »

I just saw that on the TV. They can only sell CA compliant ARs here, but I'm going to bet that at least the local one is going to take a big hit. Sportsman's Warehouse just (re)opened a new store last December like a half mile from the local Dick's. I'm betting they are going to suddenly get a lot more gun and non-gun business that might have gone to Dick's. Despite this being CA, I have been wearing an NRA jacket out and about for the last week, and in this area, I don't have to worry about having red paint or eggs or whatever thrown on me.

I'm curious about the urban vs rural geographic distribution of Dick's stores. I supposed depending on that, this may have been a good, or bad, business decision.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2018, 09:10:40 AM »

Whaaaat?

"We do support the freedom to protest peacefully and freedom of speech," said a spokesperson for Stockton Police Department. "While the majority of the students were peaceful today, we don’t condone the violence which was committed by a small handful of students. It’s unacceptable to batter a police officer and especially to take an officer’s baton."

How about "It's unacceptable to damage people's cars by throwing rocks at them"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2018, 09:26:48 AM »
Apparently Dick's already stopped selling "assault weapons" some time ago (now that I read it, I think maybe we talked about it here). They are now applying that part of their "response" to Field & Stream stores (which I've never heard of).

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/02/28/dicks-sporting-goods-unveils-bold-plan-to-help-small-business-owners-sell-more-guns/

Also, to tie it into the "thoughts and prayers" topic, they apparently took a swipe at that too.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2018, 09:46:30 AM »
Apparently Dick's already stopped selling "assault weapons" some time ago (now that I read it, I think maybe we talked about it here). They are now applying that part of their "response" to Field & Stream stores (which I've never heard of).

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/02/28/dicks-sporting-goods-unveils-bold-plan-to-help-small-business-owners-sell-more-guns/

Also, to tie it into the "thoughts and prayers" topic, they apparently took a swipe at that too.

Yea, Field & Stream stores = Cables, Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mountain, etc.  They are around the great lakes, NE, Mid-Atlantic, SE and South and one in OR (one of the first was in the Cincinnati region (Northern Kentucky.))  Field and Stream tapped Dick's to run the stores.

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.